Got my new Explore E+1 GTS today!

Man, I cracked a rib once doing my Superman impression and landing on a log off of my old dirt bike years ago. No fun!
Dr. was like... "Yeah, that's gonna hurt for a while.":rolleyes:
And it did...
Stay away from comedy clubs and funny movies.🤣

Get well soon!

While probably not necessary given that you had battery, in case you have a problem with the wire again (not entirely uncommon in the world of MTB) you could probably manually move the cable of the derailleur to change gears to something lighter, or just simply move the rear derailleur arm, this is especially useful if you are in an area with a lot of climbing, since you can break a rear derailleur by riding it in the wrong gear, now this isn't super likely given that shimano SLX line tends to be built like a tank, but I once broke a Sram X0 derailleur by putting to much force into it drive train.

That’s bad luck on the new ride, hope the shoulder is ok.
To me, it looks as though the derailleur cable was pushed into the wheel/cassette, maybe by the pannier. This might have happened if there was a large loop of cable. I suspect that may have caused your crash.

While probably not necessary given that you had battery, in case you have a problem with the wire again (not entirely uncommon in the world of MTB) you could probably manually move the cable of the derailleur to change gears to something lighter, or just simply move the rear derailleur arm, this is especially useful if you are in an area with a lot of climbing, since you can break a rear derailleur by riding it in the wrong gear, now this isn't super likely given that shimano SLX line tends to be built like a tank, but I once broke a Sram X0 derailleur by putting to much force into it drive train.
I did try moving the chain to a lower gear (larger cog) but the spring tension in the derailleur kept shifting it back to the smallest cog. But I rode back very gently and the power assist made it possible.

That’s bad luck on the new ride, hope the shoulder is ok.
To me, it looks as though the derailleur cable was pushed into the wheel/cassette, maybe by the pannier. This might have happened if there was a large loop of cable. I suspect that may have caused your crash.
No, that's not what caused the crash. It was ME who caused the crash! Dumb old me. A moment of inattention where I should have been paying full attention, especially at the speed I was moving. I hit the log (which was laid parallel with the trail to act as a sort of curb) with my front wheel while the bike was pointing too much towards off the trail and I couldn't stop myself from going flying when the bike stopped. Then the bike (and I) slid a bit and I think it was that sliding of the bike along the log that did the damage. I was really lucky that the ground was relatively soft and that there wasn't a big rock or tree trunk hitting my head when I fell.

I should have taken a photo of the trail and log to show everyone. But I had too much on my mind to think of it at the time. Now it'll be a few days before I'll be able to ride again but I'll try to shoot a photo when I do. I'm really pretty darn sore this morning and showering, drying and getting dressed were difficult. No way I could ride right now.

I did try moving the chain to a lower gear (larger cog) but the spring tension in the derailleur kept shifting it back to the smallest cog. But I rode back very gently and the power assist made it possible.

I believe the Explore E+1 GTS is suppose to come with a shadow+ derailleur, so not sure if you tried it or not but there should be a lever (usually grey) that you can flip to ease the tension of the derailleur, something that is very useful for say removing the back wheel and putting it back on, or in this case manually moving the chain to a different gear.

I believe the Explore E+1 GTS is suppose to come with a shadow+ derailleur, so not sure if you tried it or not but there should be a lever (usually grey) that you can flip to ease the tension of the derailleur, something that is very useful for say removing the back wheel and putting it back on, or in this case manually moving the chain to a different gear.
Yes, Shimano Deore Shadow+. I didn't know about the lever. I came to work by car today but I'll look at the derailleur tonight when I get home. If you hadn't pointed that out I would have never known. I'm used to older derailleurs and I never had such a thing before. Thank you.

Yes, Shimano Deore Shadow+. I didn't know about the lever. I came to work by car today but I'll look at the derailleur tonight when I get home. If you hadn't pointed that out I would have never known. I'm used to older derailleurs and I never had such a thing before. Thank you.
Just FWIW - While the spec'd derailleur is the Shadow+, my Explore E+ 1 came with an upgraded derailleur without clutch (sorry the exact model escapes me). The folks at the Giant shop where I bought it said that Giant will make an upgrade substitution when they have supply issues on the spec'd components. I found that surprising but since this is more of a road/gravel bike for me than an MTB, I was OK with the sub and I have been nothing but happy with the performance of that component.

Just FWIW - While the spec'd derailleur is the Shadow+, my Explore E+ 1 came with an upgraded derailleur without clutch (sorry the exact model escapes me). The folks at the Giant shop where I bought it said that Giant will make an upgrade substitution when they have supply issues on the spec'd components. I found that surprising but since this is more of a road/gravel bike for me than an MTB, I was OK with the sub and I have been nothing but happy with the performance of that component.
Thanks for the heads up. "Upgraded"... I sure hope that really is upgraded (if not the Deore Shadow+) and not just substituted. I'll check it out tonight when I get home. But wait... I just checked the photo I posted earlier in this thread showing the shredded shift cable after my accident. The derailleur says Shimano SLX. I have no idea where that fits in the model hierarchy and if it has the clutch or not. Is this a "better" model than the Deore Shadow +?

@Acadiandad - A Google search just showed me this:

What are the best Shimano derailleurs?
This list is limited to the 50 best Derailleur.
  • Shimano XTR M980.
  • Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus.
  • Shimano FD-CO50.
  • Shimano Deore RD-M510.
  • Shimano Deore XT M8000.
  • SRAM NX Eagle 12sp.
  • SRAM X9 Type 2 10 Speed (Read Derailleur)
  • Shimano SLX RD-M663.
So, it looks like the Deore XT Shadow Plus is the second best model (I don't know if the Giant spec is XT as it just says "Shimano Deore, 10-Speed, Shadow+"). And the Shimano SLX is the 8th best. SIGH

Is my understanding of that correct? If so, it looks like they may have substituted a lower model in place of what the spec says the bike has. SIGH

Haven't been into mountain biking components for a while now, so what I am saying might be wrong, but deore used to be the rank below SLX, it went something like Deore -> SLX -> XT -> XTR, if it doesn't have the shadow+ (it might just be shadow without the plus aka the lever) one can make the argument it isn't an actual upgrade from a practical perspective, if it was the XT model without shadow+ instead of the SLX with shadow+ maybe it could be considered a definite upgrade since the XT had better pulleys.

At least a few years ago the difference between the Deore and the SLX on the rear derailleur was weight, which didn't matter much back then, and it sure doesn't matter in a ebike, personally I would prefer a deore with shadow+ than SLX without it, but from a purely price perspective they have definitely upgraded it or at least sidegraded it.

EDITED: Oh yeah obviously if it ends up being the SLX with the shadow+ which it doesn't look to be by the photo, it would be a straight up upgrade.

Had no idea about that, thanks for the information, it is most definitely something I will look at when my bike arrives.

Haven't been into mountain biking components for a while now, so what I am saying might be wrong, but deore used to be the rank below SLX, it went something like Deore -> SLX -> XT -> XTR, if it doesn't have the shadow+ (it might just be shadow without the plus aka the lever) one can make the argument it isn't an actual upgrade from a practical perspective, if it was the XT model without shadow+ instead of the SLX with shadow+ maybe it could be considered a definite upgrade since the XT had better pulleys.

At least a few years ago the difference between the Deore and the SLX on the rear derailleur was weight, which didn't matter much back then, and it sure doesn't matter in a ebike, personally I would prefer a deore with shadow+ than SLX without it, but from a purely price perspective they have definitely upgraded it or at least sidegraded it.

EDITED: Oh yeah obviously if it ends up being the SLX with the shadow+ which it doesn't look to be by the photo, it would be a straight up upgrade.

Had no idea about that, thanks for the information, it is most definitely something I will look at when my bike arrives.

My recollection of the discussion with Giant shop staff was that the spec'd derailleur was Deore (not XT) Shadow+ (eg. with clutch) and the substituted one was an SLX without the clutch. So its an upgrade in terms of the Shimano lineup but possibly not if you plan on using the Explore as an MTB (which I don't - for me, it's primarily for commuting).

Photo of my derailleur is below. I have had no issues with chain slap or skipping on my rides (since they are all roads - except for yesterday I was on an abandoned rail bed which was a very bumpy and loose gravel stretch and things seemed fine) and the shifting has been excellent, so I guess I don't have a problem with this sub so far.

Yeah for road or light trail use there shouldn't really be much of a difference as far as chain slap or chain skipping, in fact I only moved from a sram (non type 2 aka their shadow+ system) to a shadow+ derailleur on my mountain bike when I started doing more rough stuff, things that I would most definitely not advise anyone with a bike with 60mm and hardtail to do lol, and even then should be pointed out that quite a bit of it is me being very picky with gear systems, my brother had a SLX non shadow+ rear derailleur in the same bike frame, same trails and so on and never really had complaints about it.

@Acadiandad @Micael - Just got an answer back from Giant Canada... I'd emailed them this morning to ask about the change from spec on the derailleur. They claim/confirm that it is indeed an upgrade, even if there is no clutch on it.

Too bad, having the clutch sounded like it would be handy.

QUOTE:
"But my biggest issue is that the bike doesn't fit me well. (Note to everyone... don't buy a bike, any bike, until you've actually seen it and sat on it and hopefully test ridden it!) I'd ridden an Explore E+ 3 with medium frame and while riding it felt fine, but the standover height was just too high. So I ended up finding this bike, the very last E+1 with small frame in all of Canada. And had it shipped to me clear across the country. I'd never sat on or ridden this model with small frame. The standover height on it is much better (I've got short legs with a 30" inseam) but even with the seat as far back as possible, I'm very cramped in the "cockpit". At the very least I'm going to have to change the stem to get the handlebars further away, and maybe the seat post also to get the seat further back. That's very unfortunate."

Your words describe exactly what I said to the dealer when I rode my LaFree+1.....I ordered the LaFree sight unseen. I ordered after riding the E+ and it was "Crowded and cramped." I don't know what I was thinking. The dealer is also a Specialized dealer and before I paid for it I asked him to order a Specialized Como 4.0 but he said he couldn't sell the electrics unless he ordered 5 of them. I have had my LaFree for a week. The dealer ordered a new seat and seat post which may give me more space. Hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully the new seat will go back further an inch or more. On a scale of 1-10 it's a 5. I hope I like it better after using it more. Good luck with yours. It's a beauty!

Size Matters................

Congrats. You gonna luv it. With respect to close cockpit, I too have shorter legs and got medium bike. Previous was a Trek Mamba built like a thoroughbred, almost too long. It took a bit to get used to the close cockpit, but now the Trek is just a memory. I just cranked over 1000 kms and never have I been so happy. Cyclegasms man cyclegasms!!!!

Hi fellow Giant explore owners, I m a new owner to a 2 weeks old CDN 2019 explore e+3

I was wondering if you any of you notice a creaking sound when i pedal at full throttle such as hard acceleration and uphill. I don’t believe it’s related to the motor, because the same creak happens when I pedal with the assist completely off.

Again, there’s no creak if just pedal normally at regular power. I tightened the seat post, but it didn’t solve the problem

Check crank bolts - square taper cranks are notorious for coming loose. Also check and grease the rear wheel dropouts and QR - keep it tight. Other things to check are the derailleur hanger and chainring bolts. Then check the three T30 motor mount bolts are tight.

Back