GoPro Style Safety Camera Reccos...

Andy_in_CA

Can anyone recommend a GoPro style camera and helmet mount? I just had a run in the other day on my commute home with a super aggro driver. I was thinking of getting something cost effective to mount on my helmet to document my trips to and from work... just in case.

thanks in advanced.

Andy

I've got this 4000 line action camera from newark in S carolina. https://www.newark.com/mcm/82-22070/portable-hd-4k-30fps-waterproof/dp/29AC1512?st=camera video
Very wide angle, seems to work okay. Comes with a bunch of plastic mount gadgets, one might fit helmets. I use the tripod screw one mostly. Mine came with USB cable that is compatible with my PC file manager. Makes JPG format in stills. $51 plus ~$10 shipping
My 3 year old one had a software bug, It wouldn't count down more than 1 second to delay the shutter for a single still shot. Not a problem for taking movies.

Last edited:
I just tried two different GoPro cameras, a Hero5 and a Hero5 Session. Both were mounted on the low profile style helmet mounts.

If you top mount your camera any regular size GoPro or equivalent action camer will work. I went with the Hero 5 Session in a side mount configuration. It’s light enough to not notice any extra weight on your helmet.

Wow, $12. Do any of these cameras have decent image stabilization? A helmet mounted cam without it is almost unusable.

My newark camera, not. May be why mine is $51 and go pro is $300. Mount it on the back of the bike, I did. We're not posting these videos online. You just need one decent frame in court to sue the guy that ran over you. If you're worried about idiots from 4 directions, buy four and mount them pointing all ways.
Besides, a camera has persuasion value. I convinced two apprentice drug dealers (probably packing heat) to take their dispute off my property by pointing out the security camera pointing at them. The fact that it wasn't recording in the daytime was immaterial.

Last edited:
Definitely NOT. Image stabilization is only for higher end action camera. I've seen some digital stabilization on cheap cameras, but they're pretty much useless.

In fact, if I'm not wrong, GoPro didn't even have image stabilization until Hero 5.

A lot of people on YouTube who did motovlog for example, had to buy a separate software to add image stabilization while editing the video.
Other people decided to use Gopro Karma Gimbal to stabilize the video.

The best Image stabilization is without a doubt, Sony's balanced optical stabilization (AS300 and X3000)

However, GoPro has done a good job this time and Hero 7's digital stabilization is almost as good as Sony's balanced optical stabilization.

Yup, I recall having a GoPro 2 and having to process almost everything in with Warp Stabilizer tool in Adobe Premiere. I work on in the media production industry, so on a typical project we might buy a whatever is the current model GoPro. Use it for the duration of the project and in the process, break about half of them. I really haven't seen to many of the cheaper clones, but Yi might be the best cheaper alternative.

It really all depends on what your purpose is. For me, and I believe the OP, it is about having a cheap tool to record everyday traffic situations to have a handle should something go wrong. My $50 camera does that just fine and I have always been able to grab frames where I can read the plate and ID the face of a driver or rider. I have no intentions of publishing these videos on anything other than the "Close Call Database" and am not expecting perfection. I did not want to spend the money on a GoPro or other name brand.

You hit on one of my favorite topics Andy_in_CA. I have a camera of some sort on me at all times whether I'm walking, running, or riding a bike. There are a variety of good usable cameras available but you won't need to spend a lot to get the one that works. Mountain bikers typically use a chest harness that keeps the camera pointed forward regardless how they may twist and turn their head. This will give the camera a steady view of everything in front of you, provide audio protection from wind noise, and will pick up your voice just fine. I use an Apeman 80 and it costs about $70 from Amazon. It has 4k but it is not needed. Set it to 1080P @ 60fps and be sure to activate the time and date stamp. It is very reliable in getting license numbers, faces, voices, street signs, whatever. A charged battery will last over two hours and it will record what you say and what you do, wherever you are.
Connect the cam to your computer and watch your videos using VLC. You can speed up or slow down the video as you wish and even take a screen shot of license plates and enlarge them for better reading.
If really serious about staying in contact then get a Garmin Edge. An Edge, Livetrack, and a smartphone will let others track you wherever you happen to be at any time of the day and even stay in contact with you.
I'm mentioning this because I believe all runners and bikers should be using some form of this excellent technology to keep your family or friends aware of your current whereabouts. Keep connected, keep yourself safe!

Back