Good Value Entry Level Mid-Drive eCargo Bike ?

short range cargo bikes for non-windy city use (good pavement) see this thread: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ce-your-ideal-set-up-or-your-wish-list.25696/
You can get an unpowered cargo bike for <$2000 US. Powered? The yubabikes.com entry is about $2300.
Other US stretch tail cargo bikes are xtracycle.com edgerunner bosch electric and radwagon from radpowerbikes.com I don't know if radwagon is mid drive. check their websites.
The only mid-drive that can be ridden without power without a huge drag is the yamaha. And I don't know of bikes that have that. I use electricity on my cargo bike to maintain usual speed into a >9 mph headwind, or stretch my range from 30 pedaling to 60-80 with assist. No wind, normal 30 mile day, I pedal, it is good for my heart & lungs. So I use hub drives, geared if I can get it because geared hub doesn't drag at all unpowered.
If you live in a location with no wind, there is a category with a bin in front of the rider and the front wheel driven by a chain from handlebars. These are pretty expensive. They are hot in Amsterdam, which I assume is not very windy.
I find 26" wheels minimum necessary to cope with the pavement in my area. A front and rear suspension could cope with that but because of variable weight I don't think cargo bikes have them.

Last edited:
Under $2000 in the US market .

The $900 argo box fits to the front but it has a bottom bracket attachment piece that makes a mid drive conversion difficult, rear hub motor ok and some have been motorizing the front wheel and keeping battery and controller on the box. See https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/argo-cargo-box-bike-conversion-kit.14623/ The box is bare plywood so you should paint it with a couple of coats of urethane to stop the plywood from delaminating in the wet.

For a long tail you could get the Yuba Mundo Classic from REI for a grand and add a mid drive BBS02 or TSDZ2 motor and battery, or get the $600 Xtracycle freeradical leap kit and a mid drive to convert a bike.

Last edited:
Back