Good quality eBike conversion kits in the UK

SillyBiker

I’m attempting to do my first eBike build. I’m using a Broadman hybrid bike (Can’t remember the exact model) as my donor bike, however I’m struddling to find a decent eBike conversion kit, or the separate parts. My local eBike shop recommended a mid-drive motor, and said the Bosch motors are really good.

Now, I’m fairly confident with electronics, so I wouldn’t mind wiring separate things together rather than using a specific conversion kit, however, the only kits I can find are Chinese, generic kits, and I’m not confident they would last. The seperate Bosch parts are hard to source as well.

Can anyone recommend any other brands/kits, or a source for Bosch mid-drive motors? It would be helpful if suggestions are compatible with UK eBike laws (No motors over 250w, control box must cut off motor at a certain speed, etc.). Thanks! :)

Bosch does not sell their mid drive motors to do-your-selvers. Their motors are designed to fit into manufactured bikes and so the frames are fitted to the motor. I am afraid you are going to have to look seriously at the Chinese brands. I think the Bafang line are quite reliable and you don't have to stick with a mid drive. Go to GRIN technologies (Ebikes.ca) and read up on the kits available to you. Bosch are hard to source because there is not a source.

I’m attempting to do my first eBike build. I’m using a Broadman hybrid bike (Can’t remember the exact model) as my donor bike, however I’m struddling to find a decent eBike conversion kit, or the separate parts. My local eBike shop recommended a mid-drive motor, and said the Bosch motors are really good.

Now, I’m fairly confident with electronics, so I wouldn’t mind wiring separate things together rather than using a specific conversion kit, however, the only kits I can find are Chinese, generic kits, and I’m not confident they would last. The seperate Bosch parts are hard to source as well.

Can anyone recommend any other brands/kits, or a source for Bosch mid-drive motors? It would be helpful if suggestions are compatible with UK eBike laws (No motors over 250w, control box must cut off motor at a certain speed, etc.). Thanks! :)
Hi SillyBiker,
I suggest you also have a look at the Pedelec site which is based in the UK
A lot of your queries have been posted and responded to by UK locals throughout the forums
Good luck

Back