Good choice on ebike...buying today need advice please

Loot at the motor. It has a red bafang label in the middle of the casing. Looks nothing like the 350W Bafang Max motor:

1400 is fair for a used bike assuming the battery has 50% life left. You could probably buy a similar bike new for 500 more if you wanted to roll the dice buying on alibaba:

As far as stolen, lack of charger might also be a dead giveaway, although could be stolen from inside a garage or house. Good luck. Looks like a decent buy.

Just spoke with him..he has 2 keys and charger..so far so good

Flip it upside down and find the frame number on the bottom bracket, type it into https://bikeindex.org/bikes?stolenness=all
Also does the seller have the battery key?
Flip it upside down and find the frame number on the bottom bracket, type it into https://bikeindex.org/bikes?stolenness=all
Also does the seller have the battery key?

The bike looks nearly new, the seller should have the all the original paperwork ( Bill of sale, invoice etc ) If he can't provide
the original paperwork, I would be highly suspect about it being stolen. I'd also contact the local PD in the town where bike resides.

I'd dig a little harder into whether the bike is stolen. Don't know how this works, but because the bike has a unique appearance, just
suppose it is stolen.

You're out riding, the real owner spots you and the bike, goes to the PD, they stop you, checks the serial number of
'your' bike to the original owner, determines the bike is stolen and belongs to the complainant, I'm guessing the PD can just take 'your'
bike. You're out $1400 and one bike.

Anyone else, please comment if this could happen like this.

You're out riding, the real owner spots you and the bike, goes to the PD, they stop you, checks the serial number of
'your' bike to the original owner, determines the bike is stolen and belongs to the complainant, I'm guessing the PD can just take 'your'
bike. You're out $1400 and one bike.

Anyone else, please comment if this could happen like this.

What I think happens is that the stolen property is impounded pending the trial, and if the original owner knows about it and keeps informed. he can recover it after the trial. Otherwise, it gets sold at auction. If you were the unlucky buyer, they could even cite you with receiving stolen property if they think you knew it was stolen.

When I sell my Stromer st2s i don’t think I can find my paperwork, moved twice since buying it, it isn’t stolen.. Certainly good to be cautious but there is something to innocent till proven guilt. Hard call on the internet but not sure I think he should be reported to the police just for no paperwork. Maybe the purchaser will have more input after visiting

Ok everyone...just got back from driving about 8hrs total...yes i got the bike...it came with 2 keys and charger...the seller was very knowledgeable about the bike...and all e bikes in general...he actually has several of them...i ran the Vin and nothing came up...he showed me how to operate everything since I had never delt with e bikes before...and unbelievably tried to give me some money back to pay for my drive..which i declined...i feel comfortable the bike isn't stolen..the bike looked so new that I wasn't even going to test ride it, but he insisted..and man it was awesome! Cant wait to get out tomorrow and actually see what this thing can do..i will let everyone know how it goes...also thank you all for all the information..i knew people here could answer all my questions..made my first ebike purchase a breeze...

Congratulations! The only complaint people tend to have with the ultra motors is the torque sensing could use some tuning out of the box. If it feels a little too jerky check out the video and alternative settings in this thread.

When I sell my Stromer st2s i don’t think I can find my paperwork, moved twice since buying it, it isn’t stolen.. Certainly good to be cautious but there is something to innocent till proven guilt. Hard call on the internet but not sure I think he should be reported to the police just for no paperwork. Maybe the purchaser will have more input after visiting

Agreed on paperwork point. I'd have to look for my receipt etc. The bike in question appeared 'near new' so I assumed the seller would still have the original paperwork
available. Regarding contacting the police. My thought and it didn't come across correctly, was to contact the police where the bike is housed to see if anyone had
reported a stolen bike, not report the seller.

The buyer never did comment about whether the seller provided the original paperwork, he did write..."the bike looked so new"
With that said one would think there would be a paper trail available.

I'm going to play 'Detective' : ) The buyer wrote "just got back from driving about 8hrs total...yes I got the bike"

Ok, assuming the bike has no original paperwork even though it's near new. For this little post lets assume the bike is stolen and the seller
( thief ) lists it on an edition of Craigs lists seen by the buyer 4 driving hours away. There's almost no way the original owner would ever spot the his bike
ad on Craigs list serving a location so far from his home. Hmmm

Agreed on paperwork point. I'd have to look for my receipt etc. The bike in question appeared 'near new' so I assumed the seller would still have the original paperwork
available. Regarding contacting the police. My thought and it didn't come across correctly, was to contact the police where the bike is housed to see if anyone had
reported a stolen bike, not report the seller.

The buyer never did comment about whether the seller provided the original paperwork, he did write..."the bike looked so new"
With that said one would think there would be a paper trail available.

I'm going to play 'Detective' : ) The buyer wrote "just got back from driving about 8hrs total...yes I got the bike"

Ok, assuming the bike has no original paperwork even though it's near new. For this little post lets assume the bike is stolen and the seller
( thief ) lists it on an edition of Craigs lists seen by the buyer 4 driving hours away. There's almost no way the original owner would ever spot the his bike
ad on Craigs list serving a location so far from his home. Hmmm

Just to be clear..the bike was actually posted on Facebook..by a seller with excellent feedback..and multiple past ebike sales..I withheld that information thinking it was a great deal and someone on this forum would scoop it up before me:eek:..if the bike was stolen within a 200mile radius from the sellers Location it would have been easily found by owner...just like i found it 200 miles from home....

Back