Good bag for pizza rack on Specialized Como 5.0?

beam

Region
USA
Hi there! I recently got a Como 5.0 and it came with a pizza rack. I'm looking for a bag or basket specifically for the top of the rack. Specialized sells a bag but it's out of stock. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally I'd like to commute with it, possibly pick up a couple things from the grocery store, etc.

One solution I was pondering was installing a basket like this that I could stick this bag into. Problem is, I'm not particularly bike-savvy (I'm working on that, though!) and I can't tell if that basket would work with the rack. In college I had a basket zip-tied to my beater's rear rack—hoping I can figure something out a little more elegant this time around :)

Thanks so much in advance!

There are sort of two applications you are describing.

1) Travel-commute: for this it might be best to choose a more aerodynamic solution. The stuff you carry is sort of "known" shapes, and sizes. Mini Panniers on the front rack for main cargo, saddle bag or frame bags for other stuff. The rack on there might take these. Nano Panniers - | Revelate Designs LLC

2) The Grocery run: Usually a lot of stuff, irregular shapes and more than you thought. Also, a shorter distance, sometimes. For me, since it is a short distance, I don't concern myself as much with efficiency, in packing, and aerodynamics. But do want to keep it secure. So a good solution is the Front Basket with sides and an elastic bands (or webs) to secure an actual grocery paper-plastic bag, so no repacking in the parking lot.

Also check out this place: Outdoor & Recreational Fabrics | Marine Fabrics & Vinyl | Industrial Fabrics - Seattle Fabrics

You can buy elastic cording (various diameters) and then buy multiple types of ends separately. They have 3-way attachments even. The neat thing is, you can custom cut the lengths to match your needs. And if you change your needs you can remove the ends and reattach them to different length cording. I mention this because you could make a very cool custom "web" top for a basket for about $7.00

Hope that helps.

I want to mount a front rack on my Como, and am a little concerned about any issues with putting it on a bike rack I want to buy for on the back of my van. I already have fenders and a rear rack, so I don't expect problems, except that I always expect problems. :rolleyes:

There are sort of two applications you are describing.

1) Travel-commute: for this it might be best to choose a more aerodynamic solution. The stuff you carry is sort of "known" shapes, and sizes. Mini Panniers on the front rack for main cargo, saddle bag or frame bags for other stuff. The rack on there might take these. Nano Panniers - | Revelate Designs LLC

2) The Grocery run: Usually a lot of stuff, irregular shapes and more than you thought. Also, a shorter distance, sometimes. For me, since it is a short distance, I don't concern myself as much with efficiency, in packing, and aerodynamics. But do want to keep it secure. So a good solution is the Front Basket with sides and an elastic bands (or webs) to secure an actual grocery paper-plastic bag, so no repacking in the parking lot.

Also check out this place: Outdoor & Recreational Fabrics | Marine Fabrics & Vinyl | Industrial Fabrics - Seattle Fabrics

You can buy elastic cording (various diameters) and then buy multiple types of ends separately. They have 3-way attachments even. The neat thing is, you can custom cut the lengths to match your needs. And if you change your needs you can remove the ends and reattach them to different length cording. I mention this because you could make a very cool custom "web" top for a basket for about $7.00

Hope that helps.
Thank you, that does help. I certainly want a basket, I just need to figure out how to determine what works with my bike, eyelet-wise.

Thank you, that does help. I certainly want a basket, I just need to figure out how to determine what works with my bike, eyelet-wise.
I'd think any wire basket fitting the dimensions of the rack would work. You could maybe even use strong velcro straps or silicon bands for a quicker release function if you wanted something with handles to carry. If you're after a bag maybe look into the ones that food delivery folks use.

Built for the rear but might work: https://publicbikes.com/collections/baskets/products/public-metal-basket

Front rack boxy bag: https://us.restrap.com/products/rando-bag-large

Chrome used to make a cool front rack duffel style bag, but I'm not sure if it's still around: https://www.rei.com/product/876848/chrome-front-rack-duffel-bag

I LOVE my Chelsea trunk bag from Po Campo, but its also built for the rear. Not sure if it's the sort of styling you're after, though.: https://www.pocampo.com/collections...chelsea-bike-trunk-bag?variant=31464927658041

Oh, another option you might try is searching for bags/baskets for bikeshare. A lot of people use bikeshare rentals like Lyft bikes for grocery-getting and need front rack gear that suits that purpose.

Thanks @AliciaM! I really am a neophyte with all this stuff & thought that baskets were attached in a more sophisticated manner than they actually are. I went ahead and bought Wald 139 and a net and will attach it to the rack with hose clamps. Hopefully that does the trick—it looks big enough to hold my backpack but if it doesn't it I may get another purpose-built bag.

For my Como, I cut the wings on the outboard portion of the pizza rack, so now I can mount panniers. I can still put a basket on top and tried it but just couldn't get used to it so far out and the movement. The rack needs to be closer to the handlebars but don't think it is possible. I'd prefer a rear rack but haven't installed one yet.

I want to mount a front rack on my Como, and am a little concerned about any issues with putting it on a bike rack I want to buy for on the back of my van. I already have fenders and a rear rack, so I don't expect problems, except that I always expect problems. :rolleyes:
Very valid point! I was just considering getting a pizza rack for my quick E to replace a handlebar bag. It would definitely prevent my bike rack from locking down on my front tire the same. I could pivot the arm forward a bit (its a saris rack with the V arms that are adjustable) but something I hadn't considered at all! Thanks for putting that thought out there!

Here is my pizza rack that I built for my bike on a MIK rack. Built a grocery rack as well.

Attachments

• Pizza 1.jpg
    Pizza 1.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 149
What did you build your rack out of? I have need to build a rack but can't weld aluminum.

I used 1/2" 0.065 square tubing (16 Gauge) just regular carbon steel as I am not set up to weld aluminum either. About 3/8 of a pound per foot. It is fairly heavy but the shop I go to is only two to three miles away. Maybe I need a Tig welder or spoolgun now for Aluminum.

Thanks for the reply Tubbs. Nice job on the rack, regardless.
Yeah, it would sure be handy to weld aluminum. Though it's not something I'll be gearing up for.

Pizzas are awkward. I once picked up 2 pizzas and put them on my rear rack. It’s a regular rear bike rack. One pizza was a small kids. I rotated it 45 degrees and laid it down first. Then I got the extra large and placed it right on top. The small pizza on bottom created a better, wider base when rotated. Then I used paracord to tie them down (I like knots). I was worried about the extra large bending while riding home, but all was safe and delicious. The ride was only about a mile, but it was pretty bumpy.

Back