Going to join the fold!

jcanavera

My brother in law and I are going to be purchasing identical RadCity bikes today. He was camping and when packing up saw a fellow camper with two Rad's, who was a very happy owner. We figure with identical bikes and living a few miles from each other, we can assemble them together and trouble shoot any issues for each other. This will be a fun experience!

I was planning on a Raleigh Detour IE, but Raleigh is out of stock for a few months and I have no idea what the price will be when they are available. The difference in price $2,300 vs $1,500 makes this purchase much easier for me to make the jump to my first e-bike. Plus I still have my non-e vintage Raleigh Sprite to use if I get the urge to work harder!

Last edited:
I predict the grin on your face after getting back from that first test hop isn't going to go away for quite some time. Congrats!

Mike’s, not the style I was looking for. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Want fenders! Thanks for the recommendation.

I actually bought a RadRover and my best friend bought a RadCity. We've been riding all over the southland and couldn't be happier.
Buying a bike from a shop WILL have to account for all their expenses and their profit. You just simply won't get better value than buying straight from the distributor.
Particularly one with an outstanding support department that actually speaks English!

Have fun! You won't want to stop riding haha. Hope to see you out there!

Last edited by a moderator:
A way cooler looking ebike, and far better value if you are not near any ebike dealer is the new Sondors Step.

I'm not seeing how these are directly comparable. I don't think the word "Fold" in the subject meant he was getting a folding model. None of the RadCity's fold. Were you thinking of the Radminis?

While I do like the integrated battery look of the Sondors, I don't see how it's a better value than a RadCity unless you need the folding aspect:
  • Sondors' battery capacity is 375watt hours compared to Rad's 672 watt hours. I can't believe Sondors claim of 20-40 miles of range, but my 200 lb body has gone over 35 miles with battery left to spare on several occasions on a RadCity (and including hills).
  • Sondors' battery is 36volts compared to Rad's 48volts. Rad pumps up to 750 watts into its hub motor, and I'm sure the Sondors is less hill capable.
  • Sondors does not appear to have a throttle. RadCity does.
  • Sondors has 160mm brake rotors. RadCity has 180mm rotors.
  • Sondors' fork is not adjustable. RadCity has an adjustable fork with lockout.
  • I don't believe the weight difference is as much as 15 lbs. Even if you take Sondors spec of 52lbs as including battery, the RadCity is 65 lbs with battery - and that's also with rear rack, front rack, and fenders.
For some people, getting a folding eBike with 27.5" or 29" wheels (spec says 27.5", pictures show 29" wheels) for under $1K would be perfect. For others, the additional $500 is worth it for the RadCity better specs and abilities. Still others might spend a few hundred more to get torque sensing (eg, Juiced). Spending more to have a local bike shop sort out both initial and any potential future issues is worth it for some, not for others.

Well I ordered and my brother in law combined the order with mine, so we got another $200 off the selling price by buying 2 on one order. No shipping charges and no sales tax in Missouri. Was a wonderful deal for us both @ $1,399 each. He's will be coming over when they're delivered and we will work together putting both our bikes together! Nothing like having help!

I have two 2016 Radrovers with +3500 miles each and a 2019 Radcity Step-Thru. Easy bike to put together, extremely fun to ride, normal routine maintenance needed, and upgrade are available off the shelf for the bike portion with almost any parts.

I upgraded to Cloud-9 seats and body float suspension seatpost on all three ebikes for additional comfort. Added larger MTB pedals to my two Rovers for my size 14 shoes. Love the 1859 Northwest thumb throttle attachment as my most used upgrade. I also needed to adjust and tighten up the Radcity front suspension because it felt a little squirrelly at max speed. The only pain in the bottom for me was damage during shipping like bent derailleur, loose spokes, and brake rotor out of true.

The Rad bikes can sometimes take a serious beating being shipped. :eek:

1859 Northwest thumb throttle: https://1859-northwest.myshopify.com/products/e-bike-thumb-throttle-attachment

Back