Go For $$ Or Not?

For some people, absolutely. For others, absolutely not.

Since you have more than enough experience with the Rads, find a bike shop that sells the R&Ms and take a test ride. My guess is you'll notice the difference right away, but then it'll be up to you to decide if it's really worth thousands of dollars more.

Don't let anyone tell you that you have to be a pro or expert to decide that the better bike is worth the money to you. Better components stay in tune and last longer. Shifting is smoother, so you don't end up in the wrong gear when climbing a hill, for instance. Braking is more sure footed, and so safer.

Besides, if you spend a lot on your bike, you'll feel guilty not riding it. Any motivation to get on a bike helps in my book!

I'm just quoting this because it's excellent advice all around and deserves to get more attention.
  1. Try bikes (or anything else) at a variety of price points so you can
  2. Notice the differences that more $$ get you
  3. Decide what level of quality is important enough to you that you won't feel ripped off spending the $$.
A good rubric to apply to any purchase!

The Ries Muller quality certainly shines through. I could see getting one in a cargo bike or a trike with extened range. That dog crate is a bit over built though. They certainly did a beautiful job, but from a wood worker's perspective, you could have made it a lot lighter an gotten something just as nice. 1/4 inch ply would have been plenty strong.
Yes but it is in Portland Douglas, therefore it must be to be unusual in order to blend in.

I guess a cargo bike like that would solve the problem of "I'd like to go bike touring but what to do with the dog". But it does look a bit too long to store in my house.

Watched an EBR long video of Court and people riding around NYC and one guy was riding that cargo bike with two batteries. He was going right along on it in heavy traffic.
Around here many dog lovers use trailers. Some are modified child trailers and others look purpose built.

I did it this morning. I tried out a Gazelle Arroyo and an R&M Nevo. I wanted to go and go and go on the light weight Gazelle. The R&M seemed big and clunky in comparison. So, I now have a Gazelle.

I will need to get tire liners and perhaps replace the presta valves. I hated those valves on my old road bike.

Got a small discount on a good lock and a bag. Look out Conconully! I'll soon be riding your way.

Don't
I did it this morning. I tried out a Gazelle Arroyo and an R&M Nevo. I wanted to go and go and go on the light weight Gazelle. The R&M seemed big and clunky in comparison. So, I now have a Gazelle.

I will need to get tire liners and perhaps replace the presta valves. I hated those valves on my old road bike.

Got a small discount on a good lock and a bag. Look out Conconully! I'll soon be riding your way.
Don't give up on the prestas right away. I know they seem a bit akward at first but once you get used to them, they are superior, in my opinion. I remember drilling out the rims on my old road bike to accept the bigger schrader vlalves because I didn't like the little prestas. I later regreted having done so. I now much prefer the presta valves.

Don't

Don't give up on the prestas right away. I know they seem a bit akward at first but once you get used to them, they are superior, in my opinion. I remember drilling out the rims on my old road bike to accept the bigger schrader vlalves because I didn't like the little prestas. I later regreted having done so. I now much prefer the presta valves.

Consider Tannus Armor inserts. I have had only them on my bike for about 500 km but I like them at about 25-30 psi

Congrats on the new ride! May it serve you well.

We are not getting any younger... buy what makes you happy and gets you out more often. ;)

The trip home turned into "an adventure". Thought I might have to finish getting home on the e bike.

I have an 8 year old Ford Ranger pickup that had just come out of an oil change/checkup at the dealership, and also had been pronounced in good shape by an independent mechanic. I often pull a small travel trailer with it. That's what I took to Oregon to stay in while bike shopping.

On the way home, two warning lights went on. The antilock brake and the skid control lights came on. I stopped and looked it up. One said to get it checked, one said to get it checked immediately. I was driving through some sparsely inhabited country and decided to go home. What could that skid thing do? The brakes were working. It was Saturday and a 3 day weekend so it wasn't like any mechanics would be available and camping areas would be full.

About halfway home, it felt like I had a flat tire. I stopped and checked and there were no flats. The flapping got worse as did the brakes and steering. I was in the desert and pulled into a shady looking vineyard/orchard housing area.

The people let me wait there while a friend took off from here to help. It was a three hour drive. I sat in a shady yard watching chickens run about and had to talk to the adults through a competent 11 year old interpreter. They were very nice and had me sitting in their yard. But I couldn't talk to them, or they to me, unless we had a kid present. I was told years ago that my Spanish gave the listener a bad headache.

My friend came along and we moved stuff, including the new bike, into their pickup. We switched my trailer hitch over to the Toyota and miraculously, the trailer lights worked. I drove and pulled the trailer home. I'll have to phone around on Tuesday to get a tow truck and appointment with a mechanic. Unfortunately, I liked the way the Toyota pulled my trailer. I do not want to pickup shop for a couple of years, but I really liked that Toyota Tacoma.

Today I'll be using the new bike and pannier to go get groceries. I have no other transportation besides bike and foot. I'll be helping my rescuer fix her e bike. We will be putting on a new wheel with new motor.

I have the new bike in the house where I can look at it. I'm still glad I got it.

Congratulations on the Arroyo. I am on year 2 with my Arroyo and still love it as much as the day I took it home. I upgraded the Bosch Intuvia display to a Nyon, and that is just icing on the cake.

Back