Giant Trance E+one pro and SX 0 pro

Rob Gray

Hi all I brought a trance E+one pro just before Christmas, I spent a day riding around the local bike park and had no problems,but the next day i rode it up a steep access road and after about 15 mins of climbing I loss all power,it powered up when I pressed the on button and went a bit further up the road before it stopped again. the third time time this happen it would`nt restart,so i dropped the battery out and must off reset its self and all was well for about another 30mins before the same problem occurred again.The bike back to the shop where i had brought from, but they had no idea a part from cleaning the battery terminals up. long story short the bike went back to Giant NZ who could`nt find a a problem with it or replicate the problems, so they fitted a new motor and controller and send it back only to have it all happen again. I then returned the bike to the shop and upgraded to a Trance E SX 0 pro only the have same problems reoccur . Anybody have any thoughts or have experiences

Hi Rob,

Have a Trance E+ 3 Pro for about 4 months now and have never experienced that problem, when you say lose all power, I'm guessing it's showing as off on the controller and you have to turn it back on again?

You can't even accidentally turn it off as it requires a decent long press to do that, very strange problem indeed considering you've experienced it after gear replacement and a different bike.

Could it be overheating and shutting down? It's been pretty warm in Australia the past few months, I haven't been out over about 30 degrees as I prefer early morning rides.

What mode do you tend to ride in, I mainly use either eco or the second level. Rare that I go 3 or above and if it is only for a minute or 2 maximum.

We cheers for your thoughts like yourself I normally write an eco or eco plus ,the problem is complete mystery to Giant NZ. The rep was in today and did a scan on the bike and found no problems. I believe it could possibly be a battery problem, the rep did say there has been only three instances that they know of this problem, one in Australia and my two bikes.Giant NZ are sending down bike number 3 and the rep has requested that feel the first 5 or 6 battery chargers they are done with the battery removed from the bike, I'll try and keep you updated with any future issues
Hi Rob,

Have a Trance E+ 3 Pro for about 4 months now and have never experienced that problem, when you say lose all power, I'm guessing it's showing as off on the controller and you have to turn it back on again?

You can't even accidentally turn it off as it requires a decent long press to do that, very strange problem indeed considering you've experienced it after gear replacement and a different bike.

Could it be overheating and shutting down? It's been pretty warm in Australia the past few months, I haven't been out over about 30 degrees as I prefer early morning rides.

What mode do you tend to ride in, I mainly use either eco or the second level. Rare that I go 3 or above and if it is only for a minute or 2 maximum.

Rob, are you running the giant app on your phone?

When I first installed / used the app my full e pro had a power shut down episode - I had to remove the battery / reset everything to get it to fire up again. I decided against running the app after that.

Mine has been trouble free since ( several mnths, including a couple of 350 m elevation gain shuttles on over 37 c days)

We cheers for your thoughts like yourself I normally write an eco or eco plus ,the problem is complete mystery to Giant NZ. The rep was in today and did a scan on the bike and found no problems. I believe it could possibly be a battery problem, the rep did say there has been only three instances that they know of this problem, one in Australia and my two bikes.Giant NZ are sending down bike number 3 and the rep has requested that feel the first 5 or 6 battery chargers they are done with the battery removed from the bike, I'll try and keep you updated with any future issues

Good to hear Giant are owning the issue and working towards a resolution. Fingers crossed the 3rd bike gets you back out on the trails trouble free!

Rob, are you running the giant app on your phone?

When I first installed / used the app my full e pro had a power shut down episode - I had to remove the battery / reset everything to get it to fire up again. I decided against running the app after that.

Mine has been trouble free since ( several mnths, including a couple of 350 m elevation gain shuttles on over 37 c days)
Thanks for the tip. The 3rd bike is on its way down from Giant NZ HQ now . I will pass this on to the guys at the shop.

I started having the same issue today. It looked like an overheating issue but I was riding for 10 minutes maybe and it wasn't even steep. Everything was cold to the touch.

I've had my Trance for 6 months now. Ride everyday for commuting and a few fast green trails for fun. I'm definitely interested in this. Please update when you have more developments. :)

I've had my Trance for 6 months now. Ride everyday for commuting and a few fast green trails for fun. I'm definitely interested in this. Please update when you have more developments. :)
Yeah, I have mine for 7 months now and never had such issues. Did hard enduro on it and commuting as well. The problem started yesterday. I cleaned up everything and it's starting fine. I'll go for "tough" ride today and see how it goes.

Update from today. Rode quite decent MTB trails today. Sometimes on 50% sometimes on 360%. No issues.

Seems like the problem was dust accumulating around battery connection.

I have a trance E+one pro and have experienced multiple issues of turning off. I might well be the one Australian case mentioned by the Giant rep in Rob Gray's post above. In my case, Giant provided a new charger, asked that I dischange the battery to less then 4%...none of which worked. They then provided a replacement battery to try, the problem didn't recurr. They then asked that I retry my original battery that had been sitting in the bike shop (I assumed they did something to it), I fitted it and it didn't recur so they took back the replacment battery. It was ok for a while then started again, I then read that installing a 2mm spacer under the battery terminal block could improve the electrical contact area, tried that and was trouble free for months. On the weekend it started again... I had only just started to use the Ride Control App again, maybe there is some interferrence issue with the App....I will refrain from using it and see what happens (I've got my doubts)...will report back.

I have a 2019 GIANT TRANCE SX E+ 0 PRO on its first ride it too lost power x 2 (after a large climb) i just had to turn it on again and all's good, i've since done 300Ks on it and it hasn't done it again even climbing the same hill, funnily enough my friend bought one and his has done the same thing, starting to get a bit worried that there's an underlying issue, I've found the app to be hopeless in that, meters climbed is way out (by about double) and cadence is far to low i prefer my Garmin 820 results so will remove the app for now and see what happens

John61, thanks for sharing your experiences. I generally only use the App to accurately determine battery life during a big ride. I'm taking it back to the bike shop, on their request, for a firmware update and full diagnostic... I'm of the option that its the battery management system, the battery contacts or both.... I'll post again when I have an update.

G’day, I’ve had my E+0 pro for a month now and have had the powering off problem every ride except the 1st. I’ve done about 220km total all at Nerang, S E qld. The good folks at the bike shop installed the above mentioned spacer today, I’ve just finished a 28.5km (1hr 50min) ride with no issues. Love riding it by the way.

Hi folks, I have the Trance e+ pro 1 and love the thing like a child. I too was having the random power off problem, first happened after riding in dusty conditions for quite a few hours then started happening randomly after that. Initially solved problem by cleaning the male contact points on bike but when problem recurred I returned to bike shop and requested they install the shim. The mechanic adjusted the locking mechanism on the bike so it really forces the battery down onto the contacts and since then I have had no more power off problems. I think a lot of the reported power off issues here can be solved by correctly adjusting the locking mechanism. If it is not set properly then there is no guarantee that installing the shim will work either as while the battery may seem secure it will be riding too high in the frame. Hope all this makes sense and happy riding

Back