Giant Explorer +1

flugelboneman

Region
Canada
City
Comox Valley British Columbia Canada
Finally did the deed and bought the bike. I'm in total love. This decision will extend my bike life into my '80's. It is pure joy. I did note on the forum some asked why there are two sprockets on crank. After a couple hundred Kms, I have found little use for the smaller crank sprocket. Range of shifting seems more than adequate off the large front sprocket using rear gears. Perhaps in extreme trail use there might be an application, but so far it seem redundant. All in all love the bike. Looked at Treks and Specialized before purchase, but the Giant seems value laden compared to.

Hi! I don't have any advice on the sprocket but very happy to hear you found a bike suitable for your needs :)

Finally did the deed and bought the bike. I'm in total love. This decision will extend my bike life into my '80's. It is pure joy. I did note on the forum some asked why there are two sprockets on crank. After a couple hundred Kms, I have found little use for the smaller crank sprocket. Range of shifting seems more than adequate off the large front sprocket using rear gears. Perhaps in extreme trail use there might be an application, but so far it seem redundant. All in all love the bike. Looked at Treks and Specialized before purchase, but the Giant seems value laden compared to.

Isn't it great ? I've had mine for a month or so - only put about 160 km on it so far but I have to say I agree the smaller front crank seems a little superfluous when getting EV assist. Perhaps if trying to go further distances with less battery use or on steep trails ?

I just added a suspension seat post and what a difference (the roads I commute on are in pretty shape from spring frost heave).

My only complaint is that I need to repressurize the front shocks every couple of days - not sure if this is normal or not but its a minor inconvenience.

Well, just ran the battery down to zero like they say you should do about every 3 mos. Believe me the smaller front sprocket has a use. My battery gave out at bottom of large hill and I thanked the Creator for that small front sprocket. It made the heavy bike usable. I also put a suspension seat post on with great effect. Almost 1000 kms and lookin good. Good tip on front forks. Will check.

Well, just ran the battery down to zero like they say you should do about every 3 mos. Believe me the smaller front sprocket has a use. My battery gave out at bottom of large hill and I thanked the Creator for that small front sprocket. It made the heavy bike usable. I also put a suspension seat post on with great effect. Almost 1000 kms and lookin good. Good tip on front forks. Will check.
LOL - yeah, I just tried doing my commute completely on ECO and, yeah, the smaller front sprocket was very useful on the long uphill grinds …

Love the extra sprocket , saves me no end of puff on the big slopes .
I live half way up a huge hill so I either start off going severe uphill in Sport or finish off up severe hill on Sport .
I like the fact your not too much out of line on the sprockets with the chain e.g. max angle of chain is reduced
It also has a benefit of the chain is kept on better by the guide.

My last road bike had 3 chain wheels that I used all the time on hilly rides. The main reason for my choosing the E+1 was the 2 chain wheels. That gives me 20 speeds with the 10 sprocket cassette. I recently went camping in the Eastern Townships of Québec with 50 pounds of stuff and I probably used all these speed combinations.
Also, this allows to use a faster cadence, therefore climbing slower and easier. It also increases the battery’s range.

I love my Explore except that with the smaller tires I installed, the assistance now stops at 29 km/h instead of 32 (on my phone’s GPS) and it’s not possible to recalibrate the EVO Computer which is now indicating distances and speeds 5% too high. 😕

Last edited:
I chose this ebike especially because of the 2 crank wheels. I had 3 on my previous touring bike. I like hilly roads. This setup allows 20 speeds. Most competitors only have 5 to 10. I recently tried a few MTB trails. With the fat tires, front suspension and the smallest crank wheel, it almost behaves like a mountain bike. I love it!

I chose this ebike especially because of the 2 crank wheels. I had 3 on my previous touring bike. I like hilly roads. This setup allows 20 speeds. Most competitors only have 5 to 10. I recently tried a few MTB trails. With the fat tires, front suspension and the smallest crank wheel, it almost behaves like a mountain bike. I love it!

so the speed calibration will be off when you use a different size tire on the Giant Explore?

After a couple hundred Kms, I have found little use for the smaller crank sprocket. Range of shifting seems more than adequate off the large front sprocket using rear gears. Perhaps in extreme trail use there might be an application, but so far it seem redundant.
Glad you're enjoying your ebike! To reduce stress on - and increase longevity of - its drivetrain, you may want to avoid "cross-chaining."
1571327070222.png

so the speed calibration will be off when you use a different size tire on the Giant Explore?
Yes, unfortunately and for all recent Giant ebikes. Not only the speed but also the distance. About 5% for me when I switch the original 700/45 for 700/32. This means the assistance in this case stops at 30.5 km/h instead of 32. But the cyclometer still shows 32. Check with a GPS and compare.

Yes, unfortunately and for all recent Giant ebikes. Not only the speed but also the distance. About 5% for me when I switch the original 700/45 for 700/32. This means the assistance in this case stops at 30.5 km/h instead of 32. But the cyclometer still shows 32. Check with a GPS and compare.
Which tires did you install, Pierre? And why? I'm looking for new tires myself (Explore E+1) because I want something extra flat resistant. And the tire I'm looking at would be 700x40c instead of 700x45c. That too would probably result in a slightly wrong speed and distance reading. Too bad there isn't a way to calibrate the computer for different tire sizes.

I'm currently running my stock tires tubeless with Finish Line sealant in them. And I'm thinking of switching to Schwalbe Marathon Mondial HS 428 with tubes and probably with armor (suggested by Steve here).

(Also curious about where you went camping in the Townships, and what you did for charging the battery. And did you have to add a front rack to carry all your gear?)

Hi Mtl biker.
I installed Schwalbe Marathon Plus recommanded by my dealer. They are almost flat proof but expensive and the minimum pressure is higher than most other makes of the same size so I find them less comfortable to ride with. I still use the big original gravel tires, with tubes, when I go riding on dirt roads or mtb trails. The battery drains faster with big low pressure tires. That is why I bought the Schwalbes. Great for asphalt.

I installed front low riders compatible with disk brakes. They come with an extra long spindle so you have to remove the wheel for installation. I use the front paniers only for camping, not B&Bs.

i usually charge the battery t overnight in the nearest rest room building . Most have outlets for hair dryers and rasors, so I don’t have to pay for a spot with services.

if you have a smart phone, try these apps: Ondago and Ride with GPS (also on the web). Plenty of rides there.

Do you guys use the tire lever to replace the tires? I notice there warning on the bike that by using a tire lever you might damage the rim and the tire

Do you guys use the tire lever to replace the tires? I notice there warning on the bike that by using a tire lever you might damage the rim and the tire
What is “the tire lever”?

I wouldn’t use a metal lever (at least not without a lot of care) but the composite (plastic?) levers shouldn’t be a problem.

But you always need to be careful.

How could you possibly change a tire without using a tire lever?

This is true but it’s easier with the levers if you’re careful not to pinch the tube. I don’t think plastic levers could damage the rims.

Back