Giant e-Bike User Club

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
I must admit I could not see a Giant e-bike in my stable in the past because...

...there are no Giant S-Pedelecs available in my country, Poland. Initially, I was in search of e-bikes that could easily and without de-restricting ride beyond the EU 25 km/h pedal-assistance limit, and actually I found two such e-bikes. As an inhabitant of the flatland, I had no need or desire to look for an e-MTB, and all of them are the 25 km/h ones. As a technology fan, I loved reading about and watching videos on the e-MTB though. It was a two-week "fast" during which my two e-bikes were stuck in different workshops for upgrade and/or service. And then I thought "why don't you find a full suspension e-bike for yourself?"

I was in a quest for Specialized Turbo Levo, and I could say -- to my luck -- none were available. It was @Browneye here who inspired me to look to the Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro; the guy went through all the LBS in the Orange County in a quest to find the dream e-MTB for himself. If it was for Chris to buy that Giant e-bike and he was so happy with it, why not I? It was @PDoz who had inspired Browneye in turn :D An Ozzie, a Californian, now a Pole, hah.

Then I believed in Giant and their e-MTBs. Giant has a tremendous, strong, and capable network of LBS, standing for the customer and creating loyal base of users. SyncDrive (or, Yamaha) motors are perceived as powerful, durable, and they break very rarely. Yes, same as every brand they have their ups and downs. The new RideControl One remote is modern, minimalist and requires the RideControl App to get the max from your Giant e-bike. Unluckily, the Giant app is a cr@pp, and the first thing I did to my Trance E+ 2 Pro was downgrading it to the 2020 RideControl Evo display. I'm extremely happy now.

What a beauty of a bike! Delightful Cameleon painting. The geometry meticulously designed, high-end components, extremely powerful yet battery-saving electronics. A small detail says everything about the skill of Giant engineers: The way the battery is integrated in the frame. You turn the key in the lock; pull a small latch and the battery gently slides into your hands. You replace the battery and it clicks in the frame so fast and smoothly you've hardly noticed it was already done! Yes, this, and every and single component is so well thought in this e-bike. The range is so big I don't need to buy a spare batttery.

My brethren were trying to convince me to make some upgrades: "Add mudguards" -- "No, it won't be done; every detail of this e-bike is so well-thought I don't wanna to spoil this perfection!"

I've been already in the hilly country with my Trance a.k.a. Monster. I rode single track, downhill, a 45 degree slab, sand, cobblestone. I don't want another e-MTB! I'm in love with the Monster!

Someone could have asked "What do you need an e-MTB for in the flatland?" -- "Because I've always liked the idea of riding off-road, and yes, there is a lot of off-road here in Mazovia!" :)
------------------
Share your experiences with Giant e-bikes of different flavours! Let us make a community, The User Club!

1590403319500.png

1590403159681.png

1590403210000.png

1590403249636.png

1590403405519.png

Last edited:
We've been coverted... or committed. Welcome to the asylum. 🤣

@PDoz is a trustworthy source of information on Giant bikes and mountain biking. Yamaha is truly synonymous with motorsports.
With an entire lifetime of riding motorbikes, coming over to a ebike was just a natural. I've always enjoyed bicycles, but these electrified ones are a game-changer. 👍

Had I known how well mountain bikes perform offroad and how fun they were to ride, I would have jumped in years ago. It took until I was too old to ride motorcycles that it came to make more sense for me. I do miss the range and capability, but I can still drive to the most scenic places and ride from there. I'm looking forward to more travel and exploring. I need to retire. 😇

I find it amazing that a common interest draws enthusiasts from every continent.

I might get one in the future, not sure if it will be electric or not. That will be a tough decision.
I told my brother to not waste money on a 25 km/h Trance E+. He would be more than happy with the mech Trance 2, even if the mech version is not cheap, either.

It's fine for eMTB, likely better - more durability and flick-ability. For a pedal-only, I think there's a definite advantage with a 29'r, for rolling over obstacles, stability, easier riding over offroad terrain.
YT Industries has an alloy framed 29 called the JEFFSY for about $2300 that looks REALLY attractive. I may just plunk my money down for one. Not so many reservations with remote support for a non-ebike.

We have a more or less famous place on the eastern slopes of the Sierra mountains for snow skiing and mountain biking called Mammoth Lakes, here in California.
While they have a reportedly fantastic bike park that is open to ebikes, all of the surrounding forest trails are closed to ebikes, as are most other US Forrest Service areas around the country. Ebikes are legal on trails designated for motorized use, but not for hiking and biking. Hopefully that will change, but the pedal-only mountain bikers fight to keep ebikes out. I think they're being short-sighted, but it is what it is. Things are slowly changing, and for many areas any enforcement presence tends to look the other way. Surely in hotly contested trails that might not be the norm, and a pedal bike is then the answer.

I may well get a Trance 29 pedal bike myself - for those forest trails that prohibit ebikes. Then I'll have the best of both worlds. 👍
That's what's making me ponder. I don't want to put out the money for an eMTB if I can't take it on the trails. For a bike used on the street I have no worries that they'll prohibit ebikes from roads.

@Archie, congratulations because you have just got the gorgeous Explore E+ 0 for your wife!

Charge the battery first:
1592314287320.png

1592314328214.png

1592314369923.png

1592314405547.png

I managed to miss the focus in this photo somehow :D

I guess I should post to this group. Had been shopping for a while to replace my Bionx powered Electra Townie, and had looked at Specialized Vado for a while. Price was a bit scary, but I test rode a Vado 3.0 and liked it, but I wanted better specs. Was about to buy a 5, when the price bumped $400 overnight. Needless to say, I was a bit miffed, and started looking at Giant bikes.

I really liked the Explore E+2, but there were none locally. Test rode a +4 and liked how it handled, but not crazy on the spec.

Fast forward to a week ago Sunday, where I went riding with an old friend who was really into mountain biking. We went up a local park/wilderness area close to my home and something clicked in my brain. Why am I looking for a hybrid commuter type of bike, why not a mountain bike?

As it turns out, there were few mountain bikes available locally, but a small shop in a town 30 kms away had some Giant Fathom E+1 Pros in S,M and L. At 5'7", both the S and M would work, so I went out to test ride last Wednesday, and took the M out. I also rode a Stance in small. I liked them both but couldn't pull the trigger. Went home and I noticed the Stance was no longer listed. I called and asked them to put my name on both the S and M Fathom, and I would be in early Thursday to take one or the other.

I test rode both but decided on the small, because on the medium, the seat was do low I wouldn't have been able to add a suspension seat post.

Anyways, I am now a member of the Giant crew here on EBR, and I am back on a MTB after a 15 year hiatus. Looking forward to more hints, tips, stories etc...from all of you. I think the HT is a good compromise to a Hybrid, as it's going to see its share of pavement too.

As I've posted elsewhere on these forums, I have named him ROGER (Red Older Guy's Electrical Ride).

20200723_110736.jpg

Don't you need a dropper seatpost Randall? It would be fine to have one on the e-MTB. Giant Switch is even not that expensive but it has to be the LBS to install it.

Don't you need a dropper seatpost Randall? It would be fine to have one on the e-MTB. Giant Switch is even not that expensive but it has to be the LBS to install it.
Perhaps. I've never used one and I'm not sure if my style of ride requires it. I think a suspension post is more likely in my future. We'll see, as I'm only on day 5.

There's a few things that need to happen first. I need a bell to comply with City regulations when on paths, and I really miss my mirror. Need some type of seat bag, or a rack for my pannier for longer rides. Probably both...

A new helmet, as I smacked my noggin pretty good yesterday, and the old one did it's job!

And I need a water bottle cage - I'm not transferring my old crappy one from my old bike.

Presta adapter for my compressor and CO2 cartridge inflation tools.

And on and on...with no European, UK or Australasian trips this year, I guess I have some budget available. :cool:

If you can't decide on a dropper or suspension post, get both.

Then the only decision is do you go internal routed cable or external - perhaps have a chat to the lbs about how they feel about installing internal routing ? ( they have tools to make threading cables through frames marginally less difficult)

Then the only decision is do you go internal routed cable or external - perhaps have a chat to the lbs about how they feel about installing internal routing ? ( they have tools to make threading cables through frames marginally less difficult)
Nice looking product - I'll have to check it out further.

Thanks

That Pdoz guy is smart, eh?? 😊

Nice looking bike...haven't really ever actually looked at one. I'm sure it really goes. 👍

My lbs has the fathom as a demo, it's taken a lot of self control not to test ride it - logic says it'd be perfect for sprog 3 , but I'm waiting until I test ride a levo sl to decide if my full e pro is " perfect for sprog 3"

So, no, I'm not smart. I could probably get sprog 3 onto a fathom at a seriously discounted price....instead of the $12 k oz it'll cost me if I test ride a levo sl.

Don't.

It does not work as the suspension seatpost. It works as the dropper post properly.

We have studied the dropper mentioned together with my brothers. Whatever we did, it did not work as the suspension post properly. The reason was the suspension here works along the post axis but you ride in different positions of your behind. If you ascend, chances are you're sitting on the saddle beak. On long ride, you sit on the rear part of the saddle. In no position but one the dropper works properly as a suspension. It is either vigorously bobbing under you when you don't need it, or remains stiff when you just happened to ride over an obstacle. Even the youngest brother Piotr didn't want that seat-post on his HT bike!

Secondly, an e-bike deserves the internal cable routing, as it is hard to fasten the cable to the hydroformed & thick frame tube properly. Internal routing means a hard work for the LBS and is doable or not.

I'm so glad with the OneUp dropper seatpost (that replaced Giant Switch)! When starting an ascent (with the bike already up the ascent), I drop the seat to be able to stand on the pedals without the obstacle. When descending, I drop the seat to take the proper position with the bum over the rear wheel, and either I ride standing on the pedals or sit at the rear edge of the saddle. Good thing, the dropper post.

Thanks stefan, I had been considering the PNW for my wifes town bike - she has a sprung seat but , er, is finding she needs some relief forward when the seat is raised appropriately for longer rides.

Thanks stefan, I had been considering the PNW for my wifes town bike - she has a sprung seat but , er, is finding she needs some relief forward when the seat is raised appropriately for longer rides.
The Kinect 2.1 seat-post would be perfect for her. I have ridden for 122 km on it )))

Back