Giant e bike app- any experience with it?

What year is the Quick-E? I've heard of issues with 2018 models. Some work, some not. Maybe there's a firmware update available for the bike?

It's a 2019. I'd like to connect it so I can see if it needs a firmware update, I'm not really interested in the usage data just yet.

When the app first came out, I did the firmware updates with the app. Giant took out that functionality as it was bricking 2018 models if I recall. I suppose I got lucky. Take the bike to the store where you got it and they should be able to do a firmware update for you.

It's a 2019. I'd like to connect it so I can see if it needs a firmware update, I'm not really interested in the usage data just yet.
Interesting... the fledgling app was OK on my 2019 Fathom except for some drop out issues and not always syncing with Strava etc.
Anyway, I like what @alavelle is suggesting.

I just posted this on another topic:

I've tried to use the app 3 times - First time. Perfect. Second time it dropped connection and didn't record the ride. Third time upon viewing the ride stats in Strava it flatlined the cadence and speed for 90% of the ride, i.e. it was working correctly for about 5 kms then locked the speed at 25.6kph and cadence at 91rpm for about 20km then for the last 5km started working again. Think I'm just going to use Strava to record the app, Ride Control only gives you cadence anyway.

I addition to this I have to disconnect and reconnect the bike each time or it wont appear. Even though it knows the bike is there it won't let you start a ride. Disconnect/Reconnect then it works.

Just set it up on my 2019 explore+3 it really doesn’t do that much and only displays kilometers - we still do miles here.

When you close the program it keeps the location access open until you turn it off in settings - iPhone 6 Plus. This is a fail, but workable. Perhaps it turns off after a time.

The mapping is really quite nice, too bad the speed and distance doesn’t register with what we use here.

Motor settings do not seem to change anything - I still use the ride-control-one buttons.

Cannot access screen settings in the app.

I see a regular bike computer in my future.
Is nice to have a phone mount but no way to power the phone on the go. I got the ROAM mount - cheap and good. 👍

Jury is out as to whether I will actually use it.
Bike is great otherwise.

You can change kph to mph in Settings >Profile >Unit
All info has to be entered , ie , Name Weight , Height , ect . for the Profile to be saved .

Actually not having a display is brilliant ; if you don't need mapping .
Maybe try an iPhone 4 for tracking .

You can change kph to mph in Settings >Profile >Unit
All info has to be entered , ie , Name Weight , Height , ect . for the Profile to be saved .

Actually not having a display is brilliant ; if you don't need mapping .
Maybe try an iPhone 4 for tracking .
No option for mph.
Settings for rider set and saved - blank on app restart.
Buggy software...story of my life. Lol

Does anyone know if Giant reimburses dealers to do firmware updates? Since the bikes are sold as having the ability to do firmware updates via the app, it doesn’t seem right to require consumers to pay.

Try holding the i button for 5 seconds or so. Mine switches back and forth by doing that.
What is an "i" button?

EDIT: Ok, I had to create a new profile as the first one would not 'save'. Then I could setup the profile with 'imperial' units and I get mph on the speedo - this is great. Hopefully it saves all the settings and easy login so would be worth using.
It must tie into google maps or something cuz it's really clear and good detailing. Before gps I would get lost constantly. You relied on the sun direction and time of day. LOL

Last edited:
First try out of the Giant Ride Control app and it works really well. I may do some gps comparisons for mileage as it seemed low, but should be pretty close.
Once you create a PROFILE you save it to the cloud so it comes back up on next login. The only thing I couldn't get to save was changing the bike name in those settings - when you scan or connet by bluetooth to the 'ea7256' bike and change its name it doesn't come back the next login. Seems to me you would need to change the BT name of the device (bike) in it's data onboard - cuz there's no way for the app to save the bike name - it's different data than the saved profile.

I really don't get the app tune modes either - they don't seem to do anything. I thought perhaps if you set them with the app it would force the bike to change it's ride-one-mode but it doesn't. There is also a grayed-out option for 'ride control' that must be an option on other models or something cuz it does not work on mine.

The options for quick logon are Facebook and Google (mail) - how convenient, if you use either one - I don't. So if you register your profile with another email and password the program has no option to save that so you have to input it every time to logon - UNLESS you create a 'save password' (Apple iPhone6) then if you click into the password field and choose 'saved passwords' from your keypad you can choose the saved password you created. I used a fake website, it doesn't use that for the app to logon. Now it's just a couple of taps and not having to input my logon data.

A word of caution - it is a battery and resource hog - you'll need a way to charge your phone. And unfortunately while it requires permission to track your location, I have only three choices - Never - While Using App - Always. Well, you have to give permission in order to use the app, so if you select 'never' it won't run. And you wouldn't want always - it would constantly run your battery down. So for 'while using app' it connects fine but then does not disconnect 'till you select in setting the 'Never' setting to get it to disconnect, then 'while using app' again or when you start the app the next it won't run 'till you change the setting. It's a little fiddly, but workable. Fortunately there is a blue bar that pops up on the display telling you the app is still tracking your location - it kind of flashes like an an active phone call. And confirms when you change the general setting for the app to 'never track' it turns off. Like I say, set it back to 'while using app' or it won't load the next time you start the app.

Otherwise it is easy to use and works well. I got the ROAM phone mount - cheap and good - and had a charge brick laying around and a nice cable and rigged it up so it would keep my phone charged on the go. Over four or so hours it worked great, used about half of the pack power and kept my phone charged up. I cannot for the life of me understand why they wouldn't put a USB charge port somewhere on the battery pack - complete design fail here. All that battery power and no way to utilize it for any other electronic device.

I also have XM Sirius so I stream to a portable BT speaker - just awesome!

Oh, and the bike did great too - maiden voyage. We rode about 14 miles, wife's isn't converted yet so I kept assist on '2' - it used about 18% of the battery - or about a 65 mile range. Gotta love it!

072.jpg

No option for mph.
Settings for rider set and saved - blank on app restart.
Buggy software...story of my life. Lol
I've got the RideControl app and there IS an option to change from Metric to Imperial!!!! Go to Profile and scroll down to Unit.

This is on iOS version 1.3.0 build 39.

About not having a USB charging port.... One of the reasons I so wanted a bike with the RideControl EVO display is that there is a charging port. It's not very powerful (1.5 amp?) but when I plug my iPhone 10S into it and keep Google Maps on the whole ride, the phone's charge level barely changes. Not enough power to charge the phone (unless it was off) but enough to keep it from discharging during a long ride.

I was talking to a Giant rep yesterday and we discussed the phone app (after I wowed him with a fast scroll through my 1,200 miles of saved rides). I mentioned some of the things I wish the app would do, and he said the Giant ride app is in the early stages of development and assured me the company is planning improvements with more options soon, including a way to download the rides to a computer after the rides are saved.

Looking forward to that, as well as (hopefully) a lifetime mileage tally.

He was also looking into seeing if he can get me a 500w battery for my LaFree E+1, but wasn't sure because he thought my bike only accepted the 400w. I swear I saw on the Giant website a few months back that the 500w was an option, but that seems to be gone now with only the 400w as available with the bike. I'm bummed. :(

Back