Giant dirt e battery

Sammy6923

Hi I have a giant dirt e and when I charge to 100 percent it quickly drops to 97 within minutes of riding.
Should I discharge battery or is it fault but I do seem to roughly get the range that is displayed in the different modes of assist.

Hi I have a giant dirt e and when I charge to 100 percent it quickly drops to 97 within minutes of riding.
Should I discharge battery or is it fault but I do seem to roughly get the range that is displayed in the different modes of assist.
Hi Sammy! I don't own the bike and am not an electrical engineer or privy to how Giant does things but I've heard that some of the higher-end ebike battery management systems will purposefully avoid 100% charge and complete discharge to avoid stressing the cells. This is what Prius and Tesla cars also do and it helps to extend their life... So perhaps the display says 100% to help reassure you but as the systems kick in and you begin riding, the number drops towards a more accurate reading. Again, just a guess. Maybe someone else can chime in, I'm not sure if this is an isolated experience for you or if others see it as well. The ebikes I reviewed from Giant were not completely charged and I didn't look closely at this. Otherwise, how are you liking the Dirt-E? I just finished reviewing and posting the Full-E+ 1 and was very impressed :)

I have a Dirt E 2 bike and it sort of has the same "problem." I think Court may have the right of it. The bike comes with some specific documentation telling you that it's not a good idea to charge it to 100 percent, which is apparently true of all Li ion batteries, so the charger has a green light that tells you it's 100 percent charged. I suspect that the charger actually backs off and stops charging. It definitely steps down the charging speed past about 60 percent. I'm guessing that's a safety feature.

My range is the same.

It could also be that I'm just putting in a lot less power during the start of a ride. I haven't factored that out. When I'm warming up, I just demand more from the engine, and it could be the same for you. Once I'm warmed up, I take up a lot more of the slack of moving the bike and the battery drain slows considerably.

I got my Dirt E 2 for something like $2300 and it is outstanding value for what I paid.

I have the Road E+ and it has a similar behavior. In my case, after a complete charge of 100% , I see it drop 1 or 2 percent the next day from just sitting overnight. It's good to know others have seen this too. I thought something was wrong with the battery and also this is my first ebike that have a percentage display compare to my other ebike that just show 5 bars representing a multiple of 20% per bar.

Thanks Guys I'm sort of glad others have noticed this too,
Hi Sammy! I don't own the bike and am not an electrical engineer or privy to how Giant does things but I've heard that some of the higher-end ebike battery management systems will purposefully avoid 100% charge and complete discharge to avoid stressing the cells. This is what Prius and Tesla cars also do and it helps to extend their life... So perhaps the display says 100% to help reassure you but as the systems kick in and you begin riding, the number drops towards a more accurate reading. Again, just a guess. Maybe someone else can chime in, I'm not sure if this is an isolated experience for you or if others see it as well. The ebikes I reviewed from Giant were not completely charged and I didn't look closely at this. Otherwise, how are you liking the Dirt-E? I just finished reviewing and posting the Full-E+ 1 and was very impressed :)

Thanks Court I enjoy your reviews and your opinion on them.
I really enjoy my the giant and for me it was a first purchase, I ride this bike when I feel like not riding just to keep the legs moving.
I am keeping a log on charging and distance so if anything irregular happens I can refer to my local lob to tell them what's happening. I have done a full discharge so I will see how it goes.
Regards
Sam

I have a Dirt E 2 bike and it sort of has the same "problem." I think Court may have the right of it. The bike comes with some specific documentation telling you that it's not a good idea to charge it to 100 percent, which is apparently true of all Li ion batteries, so the charger has a green light that tells you it's 100 percent charged. I suspect that the charger actually backs off and stops charging. It definitely steps down the charging speed past about 60 percent. I'm guessing that's a safety feature.

My range is the same.

It could also be that I'm just putting in a lot less power during the start of a ride. I haven't factored that out. When I'm warming up, I just demand more from the engine, and it could be the same for you. Once I'm warmed up, I take up a lot more of the slack of moving the bike and the battery drain slows considerably.

I got my Dirt E 2 for something like $2300 and it is outstanding value for what I paid.

I'm really enjoying it i purchased mine for $3500 AU but unfortunately the full suspension is not available in Australia yet which i really wanted.

I have a Road E and the manual says to totally discharge the battery once every 3 months. I have it down to 1% but the display still lights up....is this what Giant calls "totally discharged", or should I wait until the display no longer comes on? If it's the latter, is there some way to get it to drain all the way - the display goes off after a few minutes.

Yes mine does the same,there is still power in the battery down to 1 percent the LCD uses little power I'm sure you would be there for days just trying to keep it on to drain the last bit. I just drain it as far as it can go 1 percent then recharge.

Yes mine does the same,there is still power in the battery down to 1 percent the LCD uses little power I'm sure you would be there for days just trying to keep it on to drain the last bit. I just drain it as far as it can go 1 percent then recharge.
Thanks....I thought I could trick it by plugging a phone or some other device into the charging port, but it shuts it off immediately when I did that. Something odd that started happening on mine a couple of weeks ago....on a full charge with my Road E in Eco mode, the range showed 99 miles. I got new (bigger) tires a couple of weeks ago and noticed that on a full charge, it now shows 93 miles in the range. Kinda strange, but I do love the bike. The Road E is fast though....almost too fast I think.

Yeah mine does the same, sometimes it shows 100 and others 98 or 97 percent.
Mine also drops 1 to 2 percent each day I don't use it so I may suspect it may be something on the bike that's draining the battery. So I am Currently taken the battery of the bike and will see soon if this makes a difference.
Suggested by the bike shop.
Will keep you posted if this makes a difference. Changing tyres may have an effect if they are heavier or wider.

Yeah mine does the same, sometimes it shows 100 and others 98 or 97 percent.
Mine also drops 1 to 2 percent each day I don't use it so I may suspect it may be something on the bike that's draining the battery. So I am Currently taken the battery of the bike and will see soon if this makes a difference.
Suggested by the bike shop.
Will keep you posted if this makes a difference. Changing tyres may have an effect if they are heavier or wider.
Yeah the tires are both. Went from 32 to 38 and got Schwalbe Marathons. While it's a road bike, I rode it on the Lunar Kanza - in Emporia, Kansas, home of the Dirty Kanza - and I really like riding gravel and wanted a tougher tire.

just a follow up regarding the battery, when i take the battery off the bike it doesn't loose charge, only when i leave the battery on the bike it seems to loose 1 to 2 percent each day when not in use. So there may be some sort of leakage happening at motor or head unit.

A lot of good quality batteries have a management system to keep the batteries balanced that use power. Looking to buy a dirt-e but find out how many watts the charger use, so I can change with an inverter when go camping?

Back