Giant 2020 ebikes?

Spoke to my dealer this morning (my girlfriend is also buying a bike from him but not an e-bike) and he said that he'd JUST received all the info overnight but hadn't gone through it yet. He said he'd forward the interesting stuff to me later (hopefully today). It seems that not all countries get the data released at the same time.
Here's hoping you find what you like today!

Oh... I'm afraid that the Revolt e-pro gravel might be in a whole different price range. The top of my budget would be about what the ToughRoad E+ is, and it would be very hard for me to manage more.

I don't need a bike for pure gravel anyway... my commute is mostly paved roads with only about 1 km through a nature park with nice gravel.

How (and when) did you find out the ToughRoad was going to be discontinued in 2020? My dealer JUST got the 2020 info overnight in an email from Giant, and he hasn't gone through it yet. I just spoke with him on the phone.

How long is your commute? And have you ridden any e-bikes yet? My dealer lent me an Explore E+ 3 for a day and I was very impressed (see my review here), even though what I'd be looking at would be a higher model.

And is the 10% specific to your dealer do you know, or something being offered through Giant?

My dealer said it would be priced similarly as tougroad E+ ( ~4000 CAD+HST) with difference amount may be 100$ so that they wont price out their customers. My dealer said that it would be discontinued

Revolt in general is more endurance gravel bike so you would enjoy taking it on paved roads also you get the advantage of drop handle bars.

If you pre order the bike (before it gets on to the market) you can avail 10% discount. You can talk to your giant dealer he will explain it to you. I am not sure whether it is dealer specific thing.

My commute is around 16kms but have lot of uphills so I dont want to put too much pressure on my ankles. Plus, I bike year round so bike will pay for itself.

I was in High Peaks Cyclery in Lake Placid this morning and they had three ToughRoad GX-Es in stock. Amazing! I like mine so much I’d almost buy one of them as a spare :)

IronMan on Sunday. That town is full of the hottest looking bikes you’ve ever seen right now as the fellas are out
scoping the course and generally settling in. Petty cool.

I was in High Peaks Cyclery in Lake Placid this morning and they had three ToughRoad GX-Es in stock. Amazing! I like mine so much I’d almost buy one of them as a spare :)

IronMan on Sunday. That town is full of the hottest looking bikes you’ve ever seen right now as the fellas are out
scoping the course and generally settling in. Petty cool.

Oh, I haven't been to High Peaks Cyclery in years! Thinking about it brings back lots of great memories.

The ToughRoad GX-E's they had in stock... 2019 models, right? The word here is that there won't be one for 2020.

I've never seen one in real life... but I've been drooling over the specs and photos of it. I might have bought one had I been able to find stock locally. But now I'm waiting for the 2020 models and info. From what I saw on the Italian Giant site (I think it was that site) the 2020 Explore E+ 1 GTS is going to be very nice. Remains to be seen what models we'll get here in Canada and with what options.

You've enjoyed your ToughRoad on the hills down there?

Interesting about how there are different models with different features in different countries. I just stumbled on the International Giant site and was surprised to see that for the Explore line, there are FOUR different models, starting with a 0 (zero) GTS, 1, 2, and 3.

The Explore E+ 0 GTS seems to have even better components than the 1, with Shimano XT instead of Deore, a better fork, hubs, chain, cassette and more gears. But the models on the site are still 2019, so it remains to be seen what each country will actually get.

@Mtl_Biker

For some reason I cant see my reply to your conversation. In case you have missed, here is what I said

My commute is around 16kms but has lot of uphills so I was thinking of upgrading to gravel e-bike.

I have inquired from 2-3 dealers in Toronto and they all said Toughroad E+GX will be replaced by Revolt E-pro in the gravel e-bike segment.

When you pre-order 2020 bike(before it is released to the market) you would get 10% discount. I am not sure whether it is dealer specific. I have put in 1000$ as deposit and will pay remaining when the bike will be official released

Revolt 2020 e-pro would be priced very similar(may be +or- 100$) to Toughroad E+GX so that they wont price out their customers. Thats what my dealer said. On the side note, you get advantage of gravel bike like drop handlebars and many more compared to commuter bikes

@Mtl_Biker

For some reason I cant see my reply to your conversation. In case you have missed, here is what I said

My commute is around 16kms but has lot of uphills so I was thinking of upgrading to gravel e-bike.

I have inquired from 2-3 dealers in Toronto and they all said Toughroad E+GX will be replaced by Revolt E-pro in the gravel e-bike segment.

When you pre-order 2020 bike(before it is released to the market) you would get 10% discount. I am not sure whether it is dealer specific. I have put in 1000$ as deposit and will pay remaining when the bike will be official released

Revolt 2020 e-pro would be priced very similar(may be +or- 100$) to Toughroad E+GX so that they wont price out their customers. Thats what my dealer said. On the side note, you get advantage of gravel bike like drop handlebars and many more compared to commuter bikes

It's strange that you were not able to reply to my post. Did you try yesterday afternoon? I got a notification that you'd replied and when I followed the link to come here there was no message from you. Something was wrong for sure.

I don't want drop handlebars (got them on my pure road bike) and really like the hybrid straight style for commuting. Are you planning to add a rear rack to your Revolt E-Pro? Fenders? For me, fenders and rack are must-haves, as I carry my thermos of vanilla latté, lunch, morning muffin, as well as business stuff and iPad. Not to mention minimal tools, spare tube and rain gear. The other day it rained a bit and part of my commuting route took me through a nature park and I was COVERED with mud afterwards. My current commute bike doesn't have fenders. With an e-bike I plan on riding the entire distance from home to work (32km each way) and with my non-electric commuting bike I'm only doing about half the distance by driving my car to the half-way point. The one day that I had the borrowed Explore E+ 3 from my dealer, I did the whole distance from home, and I was surprised to find that the travel time was the same as if I'd driven the car half way (due to traffic). So I really want to eliminate the car use entirely for my commute as much as possible.

Is your dealer a dedicated Giant dealer or a regular dealer carrying Giant bikes? The dealer I want to buy from is a regular dealer, but he's the closest for me and so far he's very much impressed me with his helpfulness, knowledge and service. (My girlfriend just bought a Specialized Sirrus SL regular bike from him.) Maybe because he's not a dedicated Giant dealer it's a little longer for him to get info and delivery on the new models. He says he's got all the info now and I plan to see him on my way home tonight. I'll probably give him my order then, depending on what he tells me.

Did you see what I posted about the bikes on the International Giant site? Seems there is also an Explore E+ 0 GTS besides the 1, 2 and 3. At least in the 2019 models. And the zero has much nicer components.

It's strange that you were not able to reply to my post. Did you try yesterday afternoon? I got a notification that you'd replied and when I followed the link to come here there was no message from you. Something was wrong for sure.

I don't want drop handlebars (got them on my pure road bike) and really like the hybrid straight style for commuting. Are you planning to add a rear rack to your Revolt E-Pro? Fenders? For me, fenders and rack are must-haves, as I carry my thermos of vanilla latté, lunch, morning muffin, as well as business stuff and iPad. Not to mention minimal tools, spare tube and rain gear. The other day it rained a bit and part of my commuting route took me through a nature park and I was COVERED with mud afterwards. My current commute bike doesn't have fenders. With an e-bike I plan on riding the entire distance from home to work (32km each way) and with my non-electric commuting bike I'm only doing about half the distance by driving my car to the half-way point. The one day that I had the borrowed Explore E+ 3 from my dealer, I did the whole distance from home, and I was surprised to find that the travel time was the same as if I'd driven the car half way (due to traffic). So I really want to eliminate the car use entirely for my commute as much as possible.

Is your dealer a dedicated Giant dealer or a regular dealer carrying Giant bikes? The dealer I want to buy from is a regular dealer, but he's the closest for me and so far he's very much impressed me with his helpfulness, knowledge and service. (My girlfriend just bought a Specialized Sirrus SL regular bike from him.) Maybe because he's not a dedicated Giant dealer it's a little longer for him to get info and delivery on the new models. He says he's got all the info now and I plan to see him on my way home tonight. I'll probably give him my order then, depending on what he tells me.

Did you see what I posted about the bikes on the International Giant site? Seems there is also an Explore E+ 0 GTS besides the 1, 2 and 3. At least in the 2019 models. And the zero has much nicer components.

From what I have experienced, riding bike in city gets you from point A to B faster than transit.

Generally giant do good job in leaving room for fenders and rack but, I dont use them as much. I have seen the explorer bikes and they are good. I would pick any bike which has atleast shimano 105 groupset or SRAM Apex at least.

I have picked the only giant retailer shop in downtown as they are the first one to get hands on all the new giant bikes. But I am sure if your dealer is knowledgeable you would benefit more from that. Good luck with the bike

Same with battery level? Can't say I've noticed!
I guess it would depend on lighting conditions. I noticed the assist level because I was coming to a steep hill and could not see the level and somehow pushed the buttons to go past highest level to no assist as I hit the hill!

I guess it would depend on lighting conditions. I noticed the assist level because I was coming to a steep hill and could not see the level and somehow pushed the buttons to go past highest level to no assist as I hit the hill!
UGH!
You know... I've never pushed the up button when in level 5. I did not know it went to 0!

Just spoke with a dedicated Giant dealer (not a regular dealer who also carries Giant) and he has IN STOCK the 2020 Explore E+ 2 GTS!!! He says this will be the top Explore model in Canada this year I'm going to drive out there on Sunday to see it. Says it's $3,400 CAD, firm. No discount and no pre-order as the bike is already in their showroom. He also tells me that dedicated Giant dealers get the first deliveries and only once they are all stocked, will other regular dealers get any. That explains why my dealer (who's not a dedicated Giant dealer) doesn't have stock and barely has any info.

It's a shame though, as the Italian Giant website (linked above) has info on a 2020 Explore E+ 1 GTS and it's got quite a bit more features and better components than the 2. Including RideControl EVO instead of Charge.

Hi all,

Hopefully this link with the refinements works:

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/electric-pedelec-power-assisted-e-bikes/giant?query=2020

Lists a bunch of new Giant e-bikes. Australia so they are factory limited to 25kph. The black fastroad E EX Pro looks good, expensive tho

Thanks for the link!

It's a real shame though that it appears the best model in the Explore E+ series won't be available here in Canada or the US. The E+ 1 GTS for 2020 seems to have all the features and components I want, but only the E+ 2 GTS (and E+ 4) will be sold here. And my 2019 model favorite, the ToughRoad E+ is supposedly discontinued.

I'm feeling somewhat disappointed and let down.

I like the upgraded components of the E+ 1 over the E+ 2, and I particularly like the RideControl EVO more than the RideControl Charge (or RC One).

Does anyone know if there's a Specialized model that would be comparable in features and pricing to the Explore E+ 1 GTS?

Hi all,

Hopefully this link with the refinements works:

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/electric-pedelec-power-assisted-e-bikes/giant?query=2020

Lists a bunch of new Giant e-bikes. Australia so they are factory limited to 25kph. The black fastroad E EX Pro looks good, expensive tho

I thought at first that I wouldn’t be interested at all in the Fastroad E+ EX Pro because the price looked to be beyond my budget, but... I visited a pure Giant dealer today in Montreal Canada and while they don’t have that model yet they do have pricing and specs... the price is going to be $3,999 Cdn, making it comparable to the 2019 Explore E+ 1 GTS. Now we’re talking!

All the specs look good... 6 sensor technology, RideControl EVO, fenders, rack, lights. And SyncDrive Pro instead of Sport. No indication of when this will be available though.

I’m ready to put down a deposit for one, but two questions remain: First, what is the stand over height on the different sizes. (The specs the dealer showed me list everything BUT the stand over height... for that all the sizes simply say 0.

I’m guessing that the small frame size would be best for me (5’6” with 30” inseam).

The second question is about the battery: all the specs simply say “Giant EnergyPak 375, 36V Rechargeable Lithium-Ion”. We don’t know what the 375 means but it looks like it’ll be a smaller battery than their usual 500w one. And if so, that’s a shame. It does also say that it’s compatible with the new “EnergyPak Plus Range Extender”. So the thought is that without the Extender it will have less range than the Explore E+ 2 GTS with the 500w battery. And adding the extender is going to raise the cost by an unknown (so far) amount.

My daily round trip commute is about 60km.

But the bike certainly is interesting!

The second question is about the battery: all the specs simply say “Giant EnergyPak 375, 36V Rechargeable Lithium-Ion”. We don’t know what the 375 means but it looks like it’ll be a smaller battery than their usual 500w one. And if so, that’s a shame. It does also say that it’s compatible with the new “EnergyPak Plus Range Extender”. So the thought is that without the Extender it will have less range than the Explore E+ 2 GTS with the 500w battery. And adding the extender is going to raise the cost by an unknown (so far) amount.

My daily round trip commute is about 60km.

But the bike certainly is interesting!

This is the thing that I'm thinking about - my daily round trip is exactly the same as yours and battery capacity is a big factor. If these new batteries are smaller then it makes me unsure. However if they are more efficient then that could be a good thing. But a 30k commute for me, 85% of that is on bike trail, I'd be hammering the thing at 45kph as much as I could.

Back