Giant 2020 ebikes?

flapattack

Hi all,

Any one seen any info regarding Giant's 2020 range?

I'm looking at a Giant Explore E+ and all my local stores are sold out of the 2019 version but they apparently have the 2020 version in stock.

I can't find any info from Giant's site, or any site really. The only online example of it I can fine is from an independant bike store:

https://shop.steedcycles.com/products/giant-2020-explore-e-2-sta

One other thing I noticed is that it seems to be using the older 'Charge' display instead of the 'Evo.' At least I think it's an older display from my googlefu. The Charge display is a bit larger but doesn't seem as robust, and lacks a few nice additions like displaying navigation, heart-rate and phone SMS alerts.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/ride-control

Here's a couple of Pics I took of it:

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 9,616
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 5,154
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 6,395
I'm also interested in the 2020 E bike release. All the 2019 Quick-e have sold out in my frame size in Australia. All the information I could get from Giant was that a new release would be coming out soon.

Talked to someone from corporate today who was able to provide a bit more info.

There will be two new Explore models, the E2 which has the Ridecontrol charge 500w and the E4 which has the Ridecontrol 1 (LED display) with 400w. No Explore 3 for 2020.

So the differences I can find between them:

E3 2019
  • Ridecontrol Evo
  • 4 sensor pedal technology
  • Mentions 80NM of torque 350% support

E2 2020
  • Ridecontrol Charge
  • 6 sensor pedal technology
  • Only 70NM(?) of torque but still 350% support
  • Upgraded Derailleur from Deore to Altus

What do you guys think is the better option? Kind of leaning towards the 2019 at the moment...

Last edited:
I bought my 2019 Fathom E+2 last August (Ride control one). I almost bought the 2018 Dirt E instead because of the display.
I'm glad I got the Fathom with Ride control one in retrospect because of the upgraded components. Look at the 2020 E2. I somehow doubt the 70NM claim because they're both the Yamaha/Giant Sport right... not the Pro?
I think I'd rather have a better derailleur etc, than a display but that's just me.
I believe Giants numbering system means that a lower number is the higher end bike, so a E2 is better than E3 etc
But it's early, and back when I bought my bike there was precious little info out on it either.

Thanks @DaveMatthews

The guy also mentioned that the launch for the new models was in ~12 days or so. Couldn't provide any more info than that but hopefully we'll get the 2020 models on the site within a couple of weeks.
I'll be interested to see what they come up with this year. I'm not going to upgrade, but one day I will. I was at the Giant dealer I got my bike from the other day and they were saying that they were almost out of stock already. Doesn't surprise me because I see way more ebikes out there this year compared to last!
Here's hoping you get the bike you want! :)

The new 2020 bike specs and some photos been released to dealers. (Many of the bikes are on embargo until mid August.) There are some missing models that haven't returned, but some new ones that are pretty exciting.

Do you know that for sure? I was speaking with my local Giant dealer this afternoon and he says there still is no info on the 2020 models, other than what was released over a week ago on a very few (1 or 2) models. Maybe this is country specific? I'm in Canada.

There is a model called the Explore E 4. What do you want to know? Cannot share any embargoed models. But I think this one is fine to share!

Is the E 4 a lower-end model? My understanding was that the E 1 was better than the E 2, and the E 2 better than the E 3.

There's no E1 (or E3) for 2020.

It's just the E2 and E4

What can you tell us about the E2 and E4? Which one is better and how does it compare with the E1 which I understand was the better model between the 1, 2 and 3.

I test rode an E3 today and I was super impressed. It was only a 15 minute ride but I really loved it.

What can you tell us about the E2 and E4? Which one is better and how does it compare with the E1 which I understand was the better model between the 1, 2 and 3.

I test rode an E3 today and I was super impressed. It was only a 15 minute ride but I really loved it.

Read through my replies in this thread to see the differences (on mobile at the moment). I've included all the differences I know.

Read through my replies in this thread to see the differences (on mobile at the moment). I've included all the differences I know.

Scant info on the E4. And regarding the E2... how are you finding the Ridecontrol Charge? I’d really been hoping for the Evo.

From what little I know right now, the E1 would have been the model for me.

Also the 80nm vs the 70nm on the E2.

The new 2020 bike specs and some photos been released to dealers. (Many of the bikes are on embargo until mid August.) There are some missing models that haven't returned, but some new ones that are pretty exciting.
I'm thinking of the Giant LaFree E+1 and wanting to know if there is any change in this model for 2020? Do I need to order it soon because it's one of the models not returning. Or if you can't share to much information can you suggest that I wait until mid August or just order it!

Every country has different bikes available. Check out the Giant bikes available in Great Britain, many models not available in the US. The bikes all say 2019, will be interesting to see what 2020 looks like.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/e-bikes

Interesting! I can understand that different bikes might be available in different countries and that some may not be available at all in some. But wouldn't a model "x" be the same in every country where it's available? Or would there be country-specific model "x" bikes?

I'm asking because that GB site you linked to says that the Explore E2 comes with RideControl One, while Flapattack earlier in this thread confirmed that the E2 he just bought has RideControl Charge.

I'm waiting to find out which 2020 model bike (with fenders and rack) comes with RideControl Evo or Control. I'm considering the Explore E2 (?) and maybe the ToughRoad E+ (I'd have to add fenders and a rear rack).

Right now I'm driving part way to work and then commuting by bike for a round-trip distance of 35km. I'd like to extend that from home to work, making the total round trip about 60km. At my age, particularly at the end of a tough day, into a (usual) headwind and high heat and humidity, I just can't manage the full distance on a regular bike. But I think an e-bike like one of these would work great for me. Just need to find the right one. :)

Back