Getting Started

LoNYC

So, this is probably a REALLY STUPID QUESTION but not having ridden or test driven (thanks COVID19) any ebike, I am a tad apprehensive about my maiden voyage back from the bike shop. My Pace 500 Ltd is being delivered to my local TrueValue Hardware store for assembly on Monday night and I expect to be able to pick it up by midweek. Two of us will be driving down and I will have the seat and handlebar adjusted to my height after which I am looking forward to riding my bike back home a couple of miles away. I am not at all familiar with the throttle and have read about the bike accelerating dramatically from a standstill and don't want to hurt anyone, thing, or myself until I get used to it. Ideally I would become familiar with how it works before riding it out but I need to bring it home. People have suggested you go to PAS 0 at stop signs but I don't know how to do any of that (hence the stupid question). Any quick pointers on the basics of riding this bike? Is there anything I should read?

Also, I would like to add the following to my bike - rear rack, water bottle carrier, suspension seat (do I need this?), bell and lock/chain. I will ask the bike repair guy what he recommends and possibly has in stock as Aventon is sold out but any suggestions?

Thanks for the help and apologies for the ignorance but right now I am more nervous than excited and that's not cool!!!

The controls are very easy to see and use. Take a couple of laps around the parking lot to get a bit of a feel before you head out. Or, just ride home with the PAS turned off altogether.

Couple of miles? Pedal it as a regular bike. Turn PAS to zero and don't use the throttle if you're afraid.

Or, you can open Settings on display and reduce max speed to, say, 20 kmh (12 mph). Then on PAS 1 it will barely give any assist and you will be pedaling leisurely 7-8 mph. Don't use the throttle if you don't want to accelerate. Throttle is not affected by display settings. They have a well written manual on website.

Yes, ask them to add a rack if you need it fast. You can get one on Amazon but this takes time. Make sure you buy a rack for 29-er, especially if you will have a rear fender. Takes 20-30 minutes to install.

I would get a seat suspension. This is not a trail riding, so you can go to Amazon or Ebay and order any cheap one for $20.

Lock and chain is a separate topic, many opinions. There is even a 101 article by Court here somewhere. I like the suggestion of 1/2" stainless wire sling (painted with rubber paint), with a quality lock, and additional Kryptonite on the wheel: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/help-me-secure-my-bike.33150/ - see the 2nd post.

Last edited:
Couple of miles? Pedal it as a regular bike. Turn PAS to zero and don't use the throttle if you're afraid.

Or, you can open Settings on display and reduce max speed to, say, 20 kmh (12 mph). Then on PAS 1 it will barely give any assist and you will be pedaling leisurely 7-8 mph. Don't use the throttle if you don't want to accelerate. Throttle is not affected by display settings. They have a well written manual on website.

Yes, ask them to add a rack if you need it fast. You can get one on Amazon but this takes time. Make sure you buy a rack for 29-er, especially if you will have a rear fender. Takes 20-30 minutes to install.

I would get a seat suspension. This is not a trail riding, so you can go to Amazon or Ebay and order any cheap one for $20.

Lock and chain is a separate topic, many opinions. There is even a 101 article by Court here somewhere. I like the suggestion of 1/2" stainless wire sling (painted with rubber paint), with a quality lock, and additional Kryptonite on the wheel: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/help-me-secure-my-bike.33150/ - see the 2nd post.
Great! Thanks for all the useful info.

Back