Gazelle T9 Medeo Low-Step Review

uxorious69

Region
USA
I bought a Gazelle T9 Medeo low step about 6 months ago. It's my first ebike. I have about 400 miles on it so far. I learned A LOT:

- The quality is excellent. Everything works as advertised, no problems so far, so no experience with service yet
- The saddle is a little stiff. I upgraded to a Selle Royale and it's much better.
- I wish it had bigger tires. I have to go down an unpaved road to get to the street and the bike is squirrelly on dirt, but it's fine on pavement
- Gear shifting is pretty sweet, the electronics really do sense your pressure and won't let you tear apart the teeth.
- The motor is SUPER quiet
- Power delivery is consistent at all battery levels (a little weaker in Turbo on steep hills with 2 or fewer bars left).
- The Purion display is pretty basic. It could use a clock (but that requires a battery - I get it), it doesn't allow you to see remaining range AND the mode you're in at the same time, it doesn't have a USB port. But it's very readable in the sun, it's been accurate (as far as I can tell) and dependable and I can work around the deficiencies
- Braking is very good; front suspension is really nice to have (I didn't realize it until I started riding a friend's bike with no suspension)
- Ease of battery removal is a real plus. I have a hot garage and need to remove my battery every time I ride so being able to slide the battery in and out with ease matters to me. People say tail-mounted batteries raise the center of gravity and promote fishtailing, but I haven't experienced that.
- The flat rack with elastic straps is perfect for securing my Kryptonite 12lb. lock.
- Light is bright, integrated tail light is bright too, reflective sidewalls make me very visible
- I wish I had a class 3. I could use the extra assist above 20mph
- There is little difference between gears 5-6-7. I wish the cassette had a broader range.

It's a lot of bike for the money. The one thing that I really don't like is that the bike experiences accelerating longitudinal vibration when you try to ride hands-free (I don't know what this is call in "bike-speak"). That's just because of the nature of a low-step frame I suspect. I didn't realize that until owned the bike, so if you like to go hands free, keep this in mind, the bike cannot be ridden hands-free at-speed and I would go so far as to say it should be ridden with both hands on the grips at all times. I suspect this is the case with any low-step frame?

Hey Uxoroious, yes, from my experience it does seem to be endemic to step-through bikes that it is slightly more difficult (to the point of not possible) to ride hands free. That center bar seems to add stability, so I have always ridden with the cross-bar. The advantage of that step-through is definitely worthwhile not having to swing legs over the bar. Ha!

I agree with you on the Class 3 though, that extra 8 mph is fun. You could try to swap the motor/controller, but that can be tricky. If you can keep it mostly on same level, ie Bosch etc that would be sweet! There are some good threads on here that I have perused offering DIY kit information for upgrades. Just a thought.

Happy riding!

Back