garmin varia is excellent

it does eat up the garmins batteries though

That's a good point. The 315 seems like it lasts me about 8 hours before it goes red on the battery meter. But my habit is to charge it at the same time as my tail light which does not last as long.

That's a good point. The 315 seems like it lasts me about 8 hours before it goes red on the battery meter. But my habit is to charge it at the same time as my tail light which does not last as long.
I mean the gps. it seems like I have to charge it more often after I got the radar.

I mean the gps. it seems like I have to charge it more often after I got the radar.
I see. I don't have a dedicated bike computer. I've just been using my phone for the Varia display and Strava for my ride stats/heart rate.

Some day, Ebikes may get this built-into the design and perhaps federal government make it a mandatory feature on Ebikes - I could be dreaming. It's pricy and inconvenient, but ebikes have a battery already so it would be nice to be able to use that instead of constantly charging it separately.

For me, I'm convinced that Varia + mirror is the best safety feature you can have for riding bikes on the road. I watched a youtube video review done by someone with an experience of getting hit from behind by a car on the road. If he feels it's safe to ride again on the road with Varia + mirror, I don't need additional proof.

Just weeks ago, I saw this device in a store and was telling myself it's an expensive gadget that I would never need..

would not replace my mirror with it but add it to my safety features

here are some points on how it works

it should pick up anything approaching you from behind i think
if i walk behind the bike it goes off

so my hope is, bikes, horses, people, mtn lions, bears etc lol

it ignores anything that passes you coming from the front

it beeps when a car gets in range
if the car is going fast it beeps fast a couple of times to alert you

i was not pleased with the mounts that come with it
they are only for seat posts which is useless if you run rear bags on the bikes

there are not many aftermarket options for mounting which was disappointing
but there are a few
very surprised k-edge has not stepped up here and filled this void...

i have a bag with a light strap on it and was able to put one of the seat post mounts on it and have the varia ride horizontal
garmin says it wont pick up right this way but i found several referances online of people doing that and saying it worked fine
seems to be working great

i found this and should be able to put it vertical now

also picked up a k-edge gravity top mount and think it could be bolted to my rack
not sure if i will do that or not

when it is on the bag i can look back and see it
if i put on the rack will lose the ability to see it
it is not cheap and does not come with a catch strap like it should...
the mount seems solid in the locking but still

it does beep twice if it loses connection- like walked to far from the bike
but would prefer it goes crazy beeping so if it fell off the bike you would know right away...

it would annoy me to some extent if i was on regular roads and it was going off all the time, but i have mine turned all the way up for sound and it is loud
there are adjustments/settings for all this
i have not seen the ones with displays in person, you can buy a display later so i started with the new 515 bluetooth device and figured i would upgrade my gps if i wanted a display, so far do not feel i need it
you can also use your phone as the display and ride gps app works with it too

the displays show how far, fast the car is etc

hope this helps some

I have mirrors on all my bikes and use them all the time but I ride Forest roads mainly and can go hours without seeing anyone else

I NEVER hear a car approach unless it is super loud or it is after dark/see the lights I do not know it is there

nobody can ride looking at the mirror ALL the time
I am on rough dirt roads and better have my eyes on the ground in front of me all the time To keep the bike upright

I got this not just for cars, but for other bikes, horses, joggers etc

A few weeks ago 3 hours into a ride in the middle of nowhere I had stopped on the left hand side of the road to take some pictures of elk, will preface this by saying I NEVER see bikes out riding anywhere in flagstaff on the forest roads
In four years maybe 3 times
In this ride had seen 3 cars-and no one else over the previous 2.5-3 hours

got done taking pictures and started rolling down the left side of the road, these are single lane roads
Went down the middle a bit and then was just about to move over to the left out of habit, a gravel bike comes flying by me on the right, if he said anything I did not hear him at all

he is very lucky I did not kill us both by moving right into his path
I freaked out, one of the closest calls I have ever had

this device stops that from happening ever again, would pay double for it And charge it every day

I have a lot of lights etc on my bikes and have a quick organized system for charging stuff, it is not that big a deal

usually bring in 4-5 things that need charging, they all go on the battery charging table next to the bike battery charger and get done right there
Once charged they all go back in a big bag with the bike battery and back to the vehicle
Takes a very few minutes And I am never without excellent lighting, my gps, my Varia etc
I do long rides and still don’t have to charge everything everyday, it is not that difficult
This might be a bit of wishful thinking on my part but it would be nice if Garmin was to incorporate a feature in the Varia to distinguish approach alerts between vehicles and other cyclists either visibly on the head unit or audibly.

I also work the process of recharging all of my devices into my post-ride routine and don’t find it to be too much of a hassle. That way everything is ready to go at a moments notice.

Tried and true................end of story:

A332DF48-DF6F-4686-97D6-9FDF91699D24.jpeg

I see. I don't have a dedicated bike computer. I've just been using my phone for the Varia display and Strava for my ride stats/heart rate.
You might want to consider getting a bike computer that works with Varia. Most ebikes also provide speed, cadence, power data to it (works better than most phones for this IMO). Once I got myself Edge 530, I don't use my phone (still carry it though). It also has additional safety feature I'd never have to use - calling your emergency contact automatically on accidents.

By the way, is Strava that good? Do you need to have a paid membership for it?

My varia warns me of trucks passing on the other side of the fence on I65, 300 feet to the side. Mine warns me of cars approaching a 4 way intersection from the side, intersections I have already passed. Mine warns me of cars approaching 3 lanes to the left on a 4 lane street. Beep beep beep beep beep beep. Perfectly useless! I'd spend all my time looking backwards if I believed all the warnings. I can't use a mirror, the shaking images make me dizzy. I'd like a radar to warn me of cars approaching in my lane, only. It does make a good rechargeable taillight. Phone compatibility doesn't matter, I have a stupid phone that fits in my pocket to ride with me if I get knocked off the bike by an overtaking car.
Since my seatpost is too big for the mount they provided, I made a flange to hold a 1/2" pvc pipe vertically, with a screw to the bike book rack. I clip the varia to the pvc pipe on the back of the bike.

You might want to consider getting a bike computer that works with Varia. Most ebikes also provide speed, cadence, power data to it (works better than most phones for this IMO). Once I got myself Edge 530, I don't use my phone (still carry it though). It also has additional safety feature I'd never have to use - calling your emergency contact automatically on accidents.

By the way, is Strava that good? Do you need to have a paid membership for it?

I agree that a bike computer would be the better tool for most cases. It is easier for me to glance at the big phone display though, and not just for the Varia app. And having the data is nice but I use the bike for 75% commuting at this point. I use an Apple watch for Strava + heart rate and it also has fall detection and emergency calling if needed. I guess what I’m saying is that for my uses, a dedicated computer would likely go to waste.

There are some features in Strava that require a sub but I just track my rides and heart rate using the free tier.

I use both the garmin saves a lot of time checking the mirror.

My mirror as shown in photo above is in my peripheral view so generally speaking I am always aware of what’s going on around and behind me.

I’ve ridden over 20K miles in the past 5 years or so and I don’t remember once when I was surprised at something in the rear view mirror.

It’s similar to a pilot scan on the instrument panel.

Love Varia so far! I didn’t get the tail light version because the lighting is redundant on my bike. I bought the $99 RVR 315 which is basically the sensor and it connects via Bluetooth to my iPhone. I also have a mirror on the bike. The Varia gives me probably 5x the situational awareness both aurally and visually. In my profession as an aviator there is a system we call “Bitching Betty” that gives you voice warnings, alongside a plethora of tones beeps and bops to help you do your job. Varia is a Bitching Betty for a busy bike rider. For my setup I’m temporarily using wired helmet speakers with a cable snaked through my shirt. Next week I will receive a Sena Bluetooth helmet. It’s also important for me to listen to music of course while I’m riding, and the Varia app handles that well. For people who only use a mirror, that may be fine in suburban or countryside areas, but here in Tokyo where I need to keep a constant track of traffic approaching from behind, a mirror is not enough. Varia simply lets you know when it’s important to look in the mirror. For urban riders I highly recommend it!

Last edited:
Love Varia so far! I didn’t get the tail light version because the lighting is redundant on my bike. I bought the $99 RVR 315 which is basically the sensor and it connects via Bluetooth to my iPhone. I also have a mirror on the bike. The Varia gives me probably 5x the situational awareness both aurally and visually. In my profession as an aviator there is a system we call “Bitching Betty” that gives you voice warnings, alongside a plethora of tones beeps and bops to to help you do your job. Varia is a Bitching Betty for a busy bike rider. For my setup I’m temporarily using wired helmet speakers with a cable snaked through my shirt. Next week I will receive a Sena Bluetooth helmet. It’s also important for me to listen to music of course while I’m riding, and the Varia app handles that well. For people who only use a mirror, that may be fine in suburban or countryside areas, but here in Tokyo where I need to keep a constant track of traffic approaching from behind, a mirror is not enough. Varia simply lets you know when it’s important to look in the mirror. For urban riders I highly recommend it!

This is nice to see from an actual aviator. I only play aviator when I put my Ray-Bans on.

Half my commute is in an urban environment. I've seen questions like "with so many cars in city streets, isn't that going to get annoying?" I think Garmin programmed it really well so that it only pings you about the first car in a group but will show all the other cars following it on the display. The "all clear" tone is really great to know when it's safe to make a turn or merge.

I also work the process of recharging all of my devices into my post-ride routine and don’t find it to be too much of a hassle.
I just simply toss all the bits into my helmet and take it inside to charge where I now have an octopus of usb cables. In a metal trash basket these days to prevent my wife from complaining about clutter. I’ve been charging everything because it’s easier just to plug it in then checking on the levels.

My mirror as shown in photo above is in my peripheral view so generally speaking I am always aware of what’s going on around and behind me.

I’ve ridden over 20K miles in the past 5 years or so and I don’t remember once when I was surprised at something in the rear view mirror.

It’s similar to a pilot scan on the instrument panel.
Not all of us are as alert as you are all of the time! :)

I love the Varia, the model I have doubles as a rear light so even better. Not to sound too geeky, but with the varia paired to my phone and my Garmin watch also paired to my phone, any alert of fast approaching car from behind sends a buzz notification to my watch so that I am aware even if not looking.

Back