full suspension e-bike - 29" standover height

EMTTreker

Region
USA
Hi I'm 5' 5" and looking for a full suspension (front & rear) e-bike that can handle a steep 2 mile long hill (going up hill) at the end of a long ride home. My standover measure is 29".

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good e-bike that fits the above and also meets the following:
Under $2300
Very good brakes
40 mile + range (on a full charge)
Speed Over 25 MPH (motor only -without pedal assist).
A way to turn motor off for pedal only drives
Right twist throttle,
Battery easily removable
lights in front and back (turn signals would be nice),
color display computer
COLOR - black or blue.
bike weighs less than 80 lbs.

Please reply with e-bikes that you recommend with as many of these options as possible in this price range and anything that matches that is just outside the price range.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi I'm 5' 5" and looking for a full suspension (front & rear) e-bike that can handle a steep 2 mile long hill (going up hill) at the end of a long ride home. My standover measure is 29".

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good e-bike that fits the above and also meets the following:
Under $2300
Very good brakes
Right twist throttle,
Battery easily removable
color display computer
COLOR - black or blue.

Please reply with e-bikes that you recommend with as many of these options as possible in this price range and anything that matches that is just outside the price range.

You just described a minimum of a 5k US dollar bike..

Have to agree with Taylor57's response. Once you get into full suspension, anything worth a damn is going to be double your budget or more. I would go through the past reviews on the forum (Ebike Review area) and get a feel for FS e-bikes and costs.

Congrats on your search.

One of your criteria:
Most ebikes have a max speed of 20 mph using motor only. Granted some owners may try to override this max by using various devices and gadgets. That’s not my area of knowledge and for sure it would void any warranty. Your specific state may have a statutes regarding speeds.

I would like to commend you for searching for a bike that has a realistic weight. So many newbies want a bike under $1,000 and weighing under 30 lbs. I would be the first in line should one of those exist!!

Please post what you find. 🚴🏾‍♂️ 🚴🏼‍♀️ 😎

Very interesting ebike that meets your requirements from a little known (unknown?) maker/vendor.
Bee Explorer
I checked into the Bee Explorer. Thanks, you are correct it checks off almost all and is less than $2000. Unfortunately only comes in my opinion unattractive colors. Is this a good company? Have you any fist hand knowledge of the quality or longevity or their customers service if there are issues? Any additional info form you or others on The Bee Explorer is appreciated and thank you for the lead.

You just described a minimum of a 5k US dollar bike..
Thank you for the feedback. Putting the price aside... Can you recommend any full suspension e-bikes that meet my standover height requirement (and also other listed specs)?

Under $2300
Very good brakes
Right twist throttle,
Battery easily removable
color display computer
COLOR - black or blue.

Yeah, that sounds almost like my yellow bike!

IMG_3604.JPG

I have a 27 or 28" inseam, so this bike is a good fit.

I started with a Gravity FX1.0 from directbikes.com. And it comes in black too!

I changed the brakes to 180mm.

then I added a Bafang 48V 750W kit.

This thing flies...

And it's very affordable...

You'd have to print the brackets for the batteries. I had mine printed by Shapeways. Let me know if you need the stl files.

I put a right hand throttle on the bike, as you can see in the pic, but I've since taken it off. I'm not a throttle kind of a person on an ebike. I'd rather pedal.

You'll also have to sort out which is more important, speed or range. You can't have both.

Check out this calculator for some rough ideas of range...

Mike...

P.S. I liked the bike so much, I bought it in black! Ha!

IMG_3828.JPG

Last edited:
The standover height is going to vary depending on the make, model, geometry of the bike. Installing an aftermarket dropper post might be an option if the bikes that you are considering don’t have that feature.

Does the Luna Rockshox edition above come with a throttle?
Looking at some of the owners on YouTube, it looks like they all have a standard Bafang thumb throttle. Luna also sells grips that come with the right twist throttle. I have it on a BBSHD kit but, it's too hard to control the bike if your jumping while trying not to twist the throttle. I prefer the standard thumb one better.

1653256590363.png

I've bought a lot of kits and batteries from Luna and never had any problems with their customer support.

Last edited:
Back