frustrated rant: the more i learn the more i cant find an ebike

Fix what? Controller, motor, rebuild a battery pack? Based on my first generic bike, and the Haibikes I ride now, I’ll take a proprietary bike any time. Light years ahead in technology and riding pleasure.
Hmmm, can you say BIONX? That's what I've got now, unfortunately. People had the same view of that kit before the company tanked, and now if I want to keep the motor I'll have to get the battery rebuilt- maybe not if I want to forgo some functions of the console. I'll take a Bafang BBSHD if I keep my current bike or a Grin kit for the Brompton, thank you. Riding pleasure for me has been based on me being able to diagnose and fix stuff myself, especially since I live in the boonies where most LBSs don't deal with electric motors.

Hmmm, can you say BIONX?
Not anymore ;) ...

If budget is a priority or if you live in remote area - stay away from proprietary systems. Ebikes are not bomb-proof and are not going to be in foreseeable future. Replacing generic parts is cheaper in the long run than buying proprietary, and can be less hassle than having a dealer to do it.

I wonder where the OP found all those 5-star reviews. There are no stars in Court reviews, they are neutral. Sometimes even too neutral. And there is always a list of Pros and Cons at the end. When you need to find out more about particular model, there are no reviews anywhere else, other than occasional feedback from members here and short Yutube clips. Endless Sphere is a good source too, but it's more technical.

wow thanks everyone, i read all replies! perhaps i was too harsh on the reviews but i would like to hear more criticism. Gator thanks but dont i need to know what bike has possible water infiltration issues?

wow thanks everyone, i read all replies! perhaps i was too harsh on the reviews but i would like to hear more criticism. Gator thanks but dont i need to know what bike has possible water infiltration issues?

I have rarely heard anyone mention problems with moisture - it's certainly not a common complaint - hear more about dirt/grime preventing blades on battery terminals contacting tightly. If it were a big problem, there would be an avalanche of complaints and dissatisfied customers. Think the industry long-ago figured out how to handle water.

As for more criticism, that's difficult - most buyers are first-time buyers w/o necessary experience to offer informed criticism. And it seems most people are genuinely satisfied with their purchases - it's rare to see someone hate on ebikes who's actually owned one (and it's usually because they ended up with a lemon). Frankly, I'm amazed how many people buy multiple ebikes.

That’s where the big brands will be able to give you a piece of mind on wet weather conditions. I’d ride my Bosch powered bike through mostly anything. The display and buttons have an IP rating. If you’ve looked at any of the motor connectors, they’ve transferred over their automotive component know-how over to the bike side. Connectors are usually locking and have rubber gaskets to seal out water and debris. There will be people on this forum and other online resources that claim factory bikes are underpowered and overpriced, but what most aren’t putting enough emphasis on is the little details like fit and finish, cockpit integration, and overall system reliability. Just as one data point, my Haibike has had only one minor issue with a faulty battery connector over 4400 miles. It was replaced quickly under warranty with minimal downtime. Meanwhile on my JuicedBike I rode the bike for 500 miles and the shock stopped working and the controller would cut out on most rides. I had to literally send JuicedBikes an email once a day every day for two weeks to get a response. There are others with positive experiences, but that’s what happened in my case.

Giant Quick E + and a few other Giant models

Go by G & O Family Cyclery up on Greenwood & 85th They are friendly, knowledgeable and have Riese & Muller Demo bikes there and other well chosen brands. Test ride a few of their bikes so you know what is possible at the high end of things with meticulously engineered and built, Bosch powered bikes using many top tier components. If they are beyond your budget, start figuring out which elements you really want and which ones you can do without and look at other brands and other configurations. Don't rush it, read lots, test ride a bunch, take your time. You will be riding this thing more often and further than you expect. Being careful and methodical in making your choice. The Seattle Folding and Electric Bike shop in Ballard on Leary way is another shop with a wide variety of bikes. Good guys over there too.

Quality bikes include Haibike and Stromer.. Buy a leftover model and save big bucks.. No matter what you buy, these all have compromised components that will show signs of rust within couple of years. Chinese spec stainless steel is not like Japanese or American spec stainless steel.

Not to worry.. you can upgrade many parts yourself, and the ebike specific parts you want a manufacturer who you think will be around a while.

The advantage of building your own ebike is that you will know how to replace the parts should they break.

Don't forget to check warranties! I ended up buying a name-brand (IZIP) from my LBS. A big factor for me was they extended the IZIP warranty to 10 years on motor (though water damage won't be covered by anyone), 5 years on battery, 2 years on computer and lifetime on everything else. Moreover, the warranty is transferable making resale value much higher! They also provide lifetime free adjustments on brakes and gears while only about 4 miles away (IZIP HQ is about 10 miles away)

And don't let prices scare you away from LBS. I got mine on closeout as a new 2017 at about 1/2 retail price putting it comparable to Chinese prices. Look for demos your LBS. too.

Like others have mentioned you will need to choose the features you actually need. I did sacrifice on battery size compared to similarly priced Chinese models, but I don't need a high ranges -- my lifestyle (and neighborhood) does not require it -- but I eliminated the DIY issues. Examine your needs objectively and go from there.

Yes, I have seen this bike and got me curious. How well does it perform in the snow opposed to your other single wheel-driven ebikes? Can you actually maintain control without going into sideway skids?
Make a deal at CL and you are bound to walk out with a smile on your face! :)

Good question. I have never used it in the snow. However, I have used in on loose dirt, gravel and sand and it works great. It actually will shift power to front or rear motor depending on the situation. You can also change it to rear only, front only or AWD from the display easily

Good question. I have never used it in the snow. However, I have used in on loose dirt, gravel and sand and it works great. It actually will shift power to front or rear motor depending on the situation. You can also change it to rear only, front only or AWD from the display easily

Sounds like an efficient system. I would expect a great company like Easy Motion to design something that has the rider in mind. This kind of system reminds me of my electric lawnmower with twin power. The system automatically transfers power to the blade that endures the most load which in turn, cuts more efficiently. Thanks for sharing.

I know that when I first read about Voltbike's program, they did state that the Ambassador can refuse a request from a prospective buyer. As far as any other details or suggestions from Voltbike to their Ambassadors I don't know. I guess the risk would be the same if you were selling something on Craigslist or in your local paper. You agree to meet a stranger at an agreed location to show the item and they rob you. Sounds extreme, but we've all seen such stories in the news.

If I get a Voltbike and agree to participate in the Ambassador program, I would...
  • never meet a prospect at my home
  • set my GeekPro camera as a dashcam to film the meet-up
  • limit the test course to something like a vacant shopping center parking lot
  • have them leave me their current drivers license. One of the worst ordeals to live with is waiting in line at the DMV to get a replacement license.
Of course, all these precautions doesn't eliminate the possibility that the prospect crashes and wrecks your bike and maybe tries to sue you. Sad that we live in such distrusting times. Maybe it's not worth it.:confused:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing: may not be worth it just to demo a bike to someone you don't know. I live in a major city, so that was one of my concerns from the get go. Not sure if I would like to participate. I wonder what Voltbike would have to say regarding that issue??
Good precautionary measures to take!

Thinking about the LBS where I test rode a Giant Explore E+ 3 last Saturday, all they did was take my credit card and drivers license and put it in an envelope without a glance. No liability waiver to sign either and I was off onto the city street. What's to keep me from coming back if I handed over bogus credentials? I guess they probably have better insurance than most homeowners.

Thinking about the LBS where I test rode a Giant Explore E+ 3 last Saturday, all they did was take my credit card and drivers license and put it in an envelope without a glance. No liability waiver to sign either and I was off onto the city street. What's to keep me from coming back if I handed over bogus credentials? I guess they probably have better insurance than most homeowners.

Good point. My LBS just made me sign a wavier to release them from any liability due to injury during a test ride. I was a bit surprised that no CC was required. Most other LBS usually have that posted as a requirement. Then again, I think they kinda feel you out as a prospective buyer for a bit and see this guy is not your typical thief that goes around and takes bikes from their local shop.

Suspension fork that failed (too soon) on Juiced, failed not because it was a non-proprietary but because it was a low-end. Proprietary parts on Ebikes are mostly electrical parts. Only very expensive Ebikes have proprietary mechanical guts, and few odd models with "mag wheels".

IP rating on displays and buttons could mean something, or very little.
There are 8 levels of IP, first number is for solid objects and second - for liquids. Ex, IP20 means 2 for solids - you can't put your fingers inside but no protection from dust, and 0 for liquids. Your home TV is probably IP20, they don't put this in specs because nobody cares.

IP from 52 and higher are what is called "weatherproof", meaning you can take it outdoors but it's not "WATERproof", i.e. extremely heavy rain will find the way inside. Doesn't mean the display or button will stop working. IP is just the rating of enclosure. IP68 is fully dustproof and waterproof.

Last edited:
Go by G & O Family Cyclery up on Greenwood & 85th

Thanks & yes I did... it's right by my house. very nice shop but most were way out of my price range without offering much better bike componentry (ya I know the motors are better but im talking about the cassette, dereailers etc) and I think I would break that Karlkhoff (sp?) step through :)

Personally, I wanted an eBike I wouldn't need to change out parts. I'm not a bike mechanic and I have no intentions on becoming one. I looked for an ebike that would:

1. Fit me (a short female), and have a step-thru frame and 26" tires
2. Match my style of riding (more upright)
3. Match a certain budget I had to work with
4. Have a good solid warranty
5. Come with lights, fenders, rear rack and an integrated battery
6. Have torque sensing, geared rear hub
7. Be able to allow me to ride for 30mi or more

Back in 2015 there weren't nearly as many choices as there are today. Easy Motion was the brand that checked all the boxes and the Evo Street was the obvious choice for me. I got to test ride it's little sister, the Evo Eco, which was the same size frame, and I knew I would enjoy the Evo Street. I ordered my ebike from CrazyLenny's a couple months later and it's been a great choice for my needs.

Personally, I wanted an eBike I wouldn't need to change out parts. I'm not a bike mechanic and I have no intentions on becoming one. I looked for an ebike that would:

1. Fit me (a short female), and have a step-thru frame and 26" tires
2. Match my style of riding (more upright)
3. Match a certain budget I had to work with
4. Have a good solid warranty
5. Come with lights, fenders, rear rack and an integrated battery
6. Have torque sensing, geared rear hub
7. Be able to allow me to ride for 30mi or more

Back in 2015 there weren't nearly as many choices as there are today. Easy Motion was the brand that checked all the boxes and the Evo Street was the obvious choice for me. I got to test ride it's little sister, the Evo Eco, which was the same size frame, and I knew I would enjoy the Evo Street. I ordered my ebike from CrazyLenny's a couple months later and it's been a great choice for my needs.

Check out the Stunner LT on the Biktrix website. Appears to check all your boxes except the torque sensing. I have a Biktrix Juggernaut Classic HD and I have the cadence sensing and I'm very happy with it. When I was researching which bike to buy, I called Roshan, the owner of Biktrix on three different occasions, twice he answered the phone and once he called me back within an hour. I am confident he will give you an honest assessment of the bikes he offers.

@Ed D Good option for short riders. I'm quite happy with my Easy Motion Evo Street (bike is in Avatar) and have no plans to buy something else.

Radpower is tricky, but they are releasing in batches every week or so. Have the credit card ready and jump right in and you can get it done. There was about 3mins on the minis yesterday, but the rovers lasted 10 mins or so. I got one of each on the way.

Back