frustrated rant: the more i learn the more i cant find an ebike

Hey Friend
I think I found you a bike.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

If a bike is going to be water resistant it would probably be this one.

I read somewhere (and can't remember exactly where now) that one way to help your bike for wet and wintery conditions is to wipe it down with some WD40. At least the frame. Not sure if any electronic component or motor should ever be coated with anything and I wouldn't touch those parts unless the manufacturer said it was fine.

Don't forget to check warranties! I ended up buying a name-brand (IZIP) from my LBS. A big factor for me was they extended the IZIP warranty to 10 years on motor (though water damage won't be covered by anyone), 5 years on battery, 2 years on computer and lifetime on everything else. Moreover, the warranty is transferable making resale value much higher! They also provide lifetime free adjustments on brakes and gears while only about 4 miles away (IZIP HQ is about 10 miles away)

And don't let prices scare you away from LBS. I got mine on closeout as a new 2017 at about 1/2 retail price putting it comparable to Chinese prices. Look for demos your LBS. too.

Like others have mentioned you will need to choose the features you actually need. I did sacrifice on battery size compared to similarly priced Chinese models, but I don't need a high ranges -- my lifestyle (and neighborhood) does not require it -- but I eliminated the DIY issues. Examine your needs objectively and go from there.

Just to clarify: Those are solely LBS warranties on motor and battery or are they extended directly from IZIP?? Curious.

Just my quirky opinion, but I think there is a very good reason to put mid-grade drive components on an ebike, particularly mid drive bikes. And that reason is: it will be a lot more affordable to replace the drive components as they wear out. Shimano Deore, for instance, works well (I've had it on regular bikes and now an ebike) and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to replace.

Last edited:
hey all, i pulled the trigger on the 2018 izip dash. performance has a sale on so ill get $600 store credit and $300 off so maybe i can get a bike for DW too! i was torn between the fuji e traverse and the izip. izip won on price & i think some of the components are better plus alloy fenders & rack. hope i can get away with a class 3. who's gonna know if i drive it slow? the store didnt have one in stock but the guy said "hey if you dont like it just return it!" ...i think i will like it

hey all, i pulled the trigger on the 2018 izip dash. performance has a sale on so ill get $600 store credit and $300 off so maybe i can get a bike for DW too! i was torn between the fuji e traverse and the izip. izip won on price & i think some of the components are better plus alloy fenders & rack. hope i can get away with a class 3. who's gonna know if i drive it slow? the store didnt have one in stock but the guy said "hey if you dont like it just return it!" ...i think i will like it

Still waiting for my Ebike. You make me jealous, but... have an awesome ride.

I caution anyone from getting a proprietary system. I want to be able to fix things myself rather than rely on a dealer.
That as well as those blowing off kits are uselessly narrow views. First off there are very high quality motors that will never be found on a factory built eBike. And there are motors that limit a talented, or driven hobbiest from doing their own service. Number one reason I don’t have a Bosch Ebike. That doesn’t make it inappropriate. I just suggested my niece not mess about and buy an electric Electra Townie, but sold her husband a sine wave controller, top line eZee, CA3, and a rebuildable battery. He’s learned to do it all, she will take hers in for service. I build and do all my own repairs and battery builds. I build for others, but recommend bikes based on the customers needs and involvement. It’s ALL good. I’ll never quite understand the seeming arrogance by the two different approaches. That seems the direction I see so many things going these days. Arrogantly defending a single minded approach. I LIKE EBIKES. PERIOD.

There will be people on this forum and other online resources that claim factory bikes are underpowered and overpriced, but what most aren’t putting enough emphasis on is the little details like fit and finish, cockpit integration, and overall system reliability.

I agree, I run a BBS01 kit mid-drive on a pedal bike converted from derailleur to an internal gear hub, and because my bike has vertical drop outs I use an Alfine chain tensioner. I just finished a 1 month test ride of a Gazelle EasyFlow with the same Shimano Nexus 8 IGH the shop fitted to my bike and the difference when shifting is night and day, the EasyFlow’s frame was designed for an IGH with horizontal sliding reversed track style fork ends/drop outs with tensioner bolts, as a result the Gazelle has much tighter more precise gear shifting.

Last edited:
Thomas mentioned Bosch system - it's not just motor, everything else is proprietary as well. Even their charger is proprietary, you can't just buy any other charger and hope it to work with Bosch battery, not without some tinkering with signal wire.

Thomas mentioned Bosch system - it's not just motor, everything else is proprietary as well. Even their charger is proprietary, you can't just buy any other charger and hope it to work with Bosch battery, not without some tinkering with signal wire.
Perfect for those that can budget and like having someone else do their work. My niece loves here’s on a Townie. 500 miles her first month. I will own a used system one day. My 2 BBS01 units can’t be worked on...no part support for the earliest version. $500 each and not even decent anchors.

Good question. I have never used it in the snow. However, I have used in on loose dirt, gravel and sand and it works great. It actually will shift power to front or rear motor depending on the situation. You can also change it to rear only, front only or AWD from the display easily

jazz- I have a curious question concerning the range you get on a full charge using 2 motors simultaneously on your Evo Snow. I get about 30 miles average using the highest assist on my Evo Jet (350watt motor) most of the time. What kind of range are you getting based on the 2 motors pulling juice from one battery?

Last edited:
jazz- I have a curious question concerning the range you get on a full charge using 2 motors simultaneously on your Evo Snow. I get about 30 miles average using the highest assist on my Evo Jet (350watt motor) most of the time. What kind of range are you getting based on the 2 motors pulling juice from one battery?

Hi Bob,

The Evo Snow doesn't have a huge battery, 10.4aH but I think it is pretty efficient the way it is integrated into the single controller system.

I did a 27 mile ride the other day and still had about 30% juice when I was finished. 1/2 of that was trails with several hills. I have never really done more that that at once or taken the battery below 25%.

The Evo does have an Eco AWD mode which is what I use normally and paired with larger 29" rolling tires and torque sensor, I think it helps to maximize battery.

Hi Bob,

The Evo Snow doesn't have a huge battery, 10.4aH but I think it is pretty efficient the way it is integrated into the single controller system.

I did a 27 mile ride the other day and still had about 30% juice when I was finished. 1/2 of that was trails with several hills. I have never really done more that that at once or taken the battery below 25%.

The Evo does have an Eco AWD mode which is what I use normally and paired with larger 29" rolling tires and torque sensor, I think it helps to maximize battery.

Thanks jazz-That is really outstanding considering power to 2 wheels! I hope to get a test ride on that bike to see how that kind of power feels. I am familiar with the interface for AWD. It appears that it comes standard on most of the older Easy Motion bikes which is always set to off. Ride safe!

Thanks jazz-That is really outstanding considering power to 2 wheels! I hope to get a test ride on that bike to see how that kind of power feels. I am familiar with the interface for AWD. It appears that it comes standard on most of the older Easy Motion bikes which is always set to off. Ride safe!

Thanks Bob. I also like the EZ Motion Big Bud Pro + which essentially has the same system but on a fat bike with a slightly larger 600wH battery

{Bosch} Perfect for those that can budget and like having someone else do their work. My niece loves here’s on a Townie. 500 miles her first month. I will own a used system one day. My 2 BBS01 units can’t be worked on...no part support for the earliest version. $500 each and not even decent anchors.
BBS01 start from $400-450, complete kit with motor and all. Everything but the battery. Components like display, connectors, sensors - are available. The actual motor parts can be a problem with older motors.

Yes, for somebody who rides 500 miles a month or more, and prepared to pay initial price and service costs - it's better to buy a good brand. Otherwise... get a generic hub - not middrive. $250 will get you a whole new motor. I bet there are places that will sell you 350-500W laced in the wheel, at this price. Gears for Bafang hubs are available too, as I can see.

BBS01 start from $400-450, complete kit with motor and all. Everything but the battery. Components like display, connectors, sensors - are available. The actual motor parts can be a problem with older motors.

Yes, for somebody who rides 500 miles a month or more, and prepared to pay initial price and service costs - it's better to buy a good brand. Otherwise... get a generic hub - not middrive. $250 will get you a whole new motor. I bet there are places that will sell you 350-500W laced in the wheel, at this price. Gears for Bafang hubs are available too, as I can see.
In 2013 when first widely available they were actually higher. Lets not throw all motors into one classification. If someone has some grades to ride up a direct drive isn'r a great choice. There are LOTS of junk motors for very low prices. We should be recommending on the basis of weight, road conditions, and grades expected to climb. More and more I'm finding MAC and eZee the most sustainable motors. Try and find gears for the various Bafang hub drives. Typical Bafang, lousy parts support.

Back