Frustrated and need help with battery shipping

If you are shipping to Hawaii you will need to use FedEx or DHL. UPS and USPS usually won't ship batteries via air but can take them if correctly packaged and shipped via ground, but that won't work in this case.

USPS is out, at least in 2016 I wasn't able to legally ship a battery by them. Something change?[
I know UPS will only ship via ground, which is what I thought the post office followed too, but you're probably right that they won't take it either. He is kind of stuck shipping it via FedEx/DHL at this point.

How easy or hard will it be for me to sell my 2 month old TransX BL-07 48v 8.8Ah 422W tray style battery here in California? It looks like I will have one for sale soon . . .

Next, I tried, Motostrano, a big EBike distributor in the bay area who said they cannot help me. (however, they can sell me a new battery for $600-700 and charge me $50 to ship it to Hawaii.

Finally, I called EBikes Hawaii, an IZIP dealer, who said they deal with a big ship cargo company, but they have an account, and I do not. They think my shipment would be too small for them to bother with. They can also sell me a new battery.

Try visiting https://newwheel.net/

They are helpful people. Don't call them but visit them and see if they can help you. They don't ship bikes regularly but they can certainly help anything ebike related.

Try visiting https://newwheel.net/

They are helpful people. Don't call them but visit them and see if they can help you. They don't ship bikes regularly but they can certainly help anything ebike related.

I have been to New Wheel in SF. A very awesome shop indeed. So I called and inquired about battery shipping strategies - they pretty much agreed that shipping a battery to Hawaii is done by hazmat shippers only. However, they ship bikes with batteries on a routine basis, and they even shipped a bike to Maui not too long ago.

So why don’t you send the bike and battery together then if it works that way. As odd as it seems......

I think shops can receive and ship Ebikes in boxes because the "manufacturer" has all the hazmat certificates and proper labels already affixed to the box. New Wheel said they recently charged $800 to ship to Hawaii. They said they build and test the bike - then re-pack and send the bike to customers. (I wondered if they could slip in a second battery, if the customer oredered one?)

EM3ev does not sell a "plug-n-play" battery for my bike, but I see that their batteries are cheaper and they ship from China to USA. Good Info. Good way to save money, but not for me this time.

My options for shipping my Ebike from CA to HI:

1) Ship battery with Hazmat shipper for $549.87 + $150 Hawaiian Airlines = $699.87
2) Ship Ebike with Hazmat shipper with battery "contained in bike box" for = $1,141.25
3) Buy new TransX BL-07 48v 8.8Ah 422W battery $799 + $80 shipping + $150 Hawaiian Airlines = $1,029

I am leaning towards Option 1

PS: This bike is a gift to my brother and I get to ride it when I visit him

I thought of that too. I paid 1/2 liquidation price for IZIP Vibe so shipping the bike is still cheaper in total. I will ask Ebikes Hawaii to discount the battery to match the shipping cost, now that I know what it is.

I do love the bike the way, but I have (2) other Ebikes to ride - one for street and one for dirt!

I can confirm that is is now next to impossible for a private person to ship an e-bike battery.

I had a brand new Bosch 400Wh battery that I had received as a warranty replacement but had already gotten a 500Wh in the meantime. Found a buyer on here and figured I'd just use the original shipping box it came in (by UPS) with all the labels, data sheets etc.. The guy at the UPS store said "no problem" and accepted the package. But two days later it was returned to the store with a full sheet of rejection papers. It took several calls by the UPS store and myself to figure out that recycling box and labels was not permitted and that any person shipping batteries needs to be a registered hazmat shipper.
The only way to do it is by freight, which for some reason does not have this requirement, but is expensive for small loads. Or find a third party hazmat shipping service. I contacted one here in town and they would do it but it would, again, cost significantly more than any regular parcel service.
Long story short, I am now trying to find a local buyer for it and can only warn you all about the difficulties.

This is exactly why I am gonna do my upcoming world bike tour on a regular bicycle. I was thinking of doing it on an ebike pulling a solar panel set up attached to a trailer...but it is waaaaay too much hassle to worry about shipping the battery from country to country. I am sure you could rent out batteries while in different countries, but that would be a pain too.

I can confirm that is is now next to impossible for a private person to ship an e-bike battery.

I had a brand new Bosch 400Wh battery that I had received as a warranty replacement but had already gotten a 500Wh in the meantime. Found a buyer on here and figured I'd just use the original shipping box it came in (by UPS) with all the labels, data sheets etc.. The guy at the UPS store said "no problem" and accepted the package. But two days later it was returned to the store with a full sheet of rejection papers. It took several calls by the UPS store and myself to figure out that recycling box and labels was not permitted and that any person shipping batteries needs to be a registered hazmat shipper.
The only way to do it is by freight, which for some reason does not have this requirement, but is expensive for small loads. Or find a third party hazmat shipping service. I contacted one here in town and they would do it but it would, again, cost significantly more than any regular parcel service.
Long story short, I am now trying to find a local buyer for it and can only warn you all about the difficulties.
ALWAYS save battery shipping boxes with proper labeling fir hazmat that meet shipping guidelines. Usually you’ll be able to get the box shipped. It MUST conform with hazmat rules.

bikeflights.com has a list of bike shops that are hazmat-certified and can pack your battery and ship it.

I'd make sure there was a shop in Hawaii that could do the same thing so you can get your batteries back.

I called bikeflights.com corporate and they distinctly told me they could not provide me with any assistance with battery packing or shipment. Like I always say, it is all about who you talk to and who has the right answers. Otherwise you could be put in "wild goose chase mode" with some of these companies.

Last edited:
I ship lipos almost everyday. I would never ship and be responsible for someone else used battery pack. When a customer gets a bad battery from me, I never ask them to ship it back.

I ship lipos almost everyday. I would never ship and be responsible for someone else used battery pack. When a customer gets a bad battery from me, I never ask them to ship it back.
Lipo? As in RC style packs?

Back