Front Suspension for ST2 - Recommendation?

BayAreaST2Rider

Been riding and loving my ST2 for about 6 months. My only concern is that a bike of its weight and speed takes a hell of a pounding on pretty much anything but a smooth road (I weight 210lbs plus often carry 10-15lbs of additional gear). My body handles it OK - but the engineer in me feels the machines pain and I have got to think that over time it will eventually cause excessive wear or even failure at some point. Am I alone in this "feeling"? I've thought about a front suspension - Iam tempted to go with the Stromer option - but have heard it isn't as top notch as some of the rockshox or fox systems out there - but Iam also a little reluctant to go off brand - worries that some part (steering head)might not fit perfectly or a void in warranty that would be a whole other can of worms. Iam not really price sensitive- I spent 7K for the bike and want the best possible mods on it. Anyone have any guidance or thoughts on this would be much appreciated!

The Stromer front suspension probably allows the geometry of the bike to remain the same. Visit a high end cycle shop, one that has expertise in building bikes with quality front suspension. They will tell what will work and what alterations to the geometry might occur.

Been riding and loving my ST2 for about 6 months. My only concern is that a bike of its weight and speed takes a hell of a pounding on pretty much anything but a smooth road (I weight 210lbs plus often carry 10-15lbs of additional gear). My body handles it OK - but the engineer in me feels the machines pain and I have got to think that over time it will eventually cause excessive wear or even failure at some point. Am I alone in this "feeling"? I've thought about a front suspension - Iam tempted to go with the Stromer option - but have heard it isn't as top notch as some of the rockshox or fox systems out there - but Iam also a little reluctant to go off brand - worries that some part (steering head)might not fit perfectly or a void in warranty that would be a whole other can of worms. Iam not really price sensitive- I spent 7K for the bike and want the best possible mods on it. Anyone have any guidance or thoughts on this would be much appreciated!
86 and still kicking is right - the Stromer setup will conform to the current geometry of the bike at 100mm. Most suspension forks now are 120mm or better and will slacken the head tube angle considerable which won't bode well with the speeds you hit on the ST2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig
Back