Front or rear basket?

michal

Region
USA
City
Brooklyn, NY
Hey folks! My Gazelle Arroyo will be arriving soon, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry my existing Timbuk2 backpack during my commute.

I'm leaning towards installing a rear basket so I can just throw my backpack in and secure it with bungee cords but, given that the bike has a rear-mounted battery, would a front basket be better?

Also, if I were to go with a front basket, would I have to reposition the front light (it comes mounted just above the front fender)?

Here are Court's photos of the bike for context:
https://electricbikereview.com/gazelle/arroyo-c8-hmb/

Thanks!

From a weight/balance perspective, it would balance out better placed forward. However that much weight could adversely effect steering. A front rack with panniers would carry the weight lower than handlebar basket.

What about just leaving the back pack on your back?

Generally you don't want more than 5 pounds or so in the front basket unless it is supported by something other than the handlebars.

I'd go with back side baskets. I like my Wald collapsible baskets--they aren't very expensive. If you get them, do make sure that the bungee cord also hooks through the basket bottom, since going over a big bump can cause the bottom to drop out. I have only had that happen once in over 2,000 miles, but it sure was a surprise and I'm lucky I wasn't riding through an intersection when my computer and everything fell.

Panniers are another option--my husband has a set of panniers on the back that he uses to put his computer and other work stuff.

I saw this front basket with quick release feature if you don't need the basket for every ride. It attaches a bracket to handlebars and secures against steering tube (less of a chance of dumping your load on tight turns with tube attachment). You may not have to change your headlight depending which version of the Wald bike basket you get, Amazon, $30: https://www.amazon.com/d/Bike-Baske...keywords=wild+3133+quick+release+front+basket

I also have a commuter backpack and Topeak rack bag with fold out panniers. I save my rack bag for tools, flat repairs, and extra riding gear like gloves/glasses/skull caps. Use my panniers for overflow items like rain gear or storing cold weather gear if it gets too warm in the afternoon. Backpack use for work cloths, electronics, and lunch.

Last edited:
I've had trouble with the front wheel whipping sideways on bumps or obstructions, pulling the grips out of my hands, tire grabs the pavement, and I spill chin first over the handlebars. 5 times in 5 years. Weight on the back may have been a contributor. I had sets of 15 lb and 25 lb baskets, in one accident I had 40 lb supplies back there. Inadequate front caster may have been a contributor, but in a survey of 250+ frames, all 26" forks have the same caster. I couldn't convince a frame builder to make a fork with more caster, as my Mother's 1946 Firestone bike had. The only other thing I could affect was front weight. I weighed the mountain bike once with supplies in the basket, got 20 lb front and 120 lb rear without me on it. So inadequate weight on the front fork may have limited front tire grip.
I bought the stretch frame cargo bike left to put more of my weight on the front tire. Since you have just bought a conventional frame bike with a battery on the back, to reduce risk you should probably put your cargo weight on the front. I mounted the battery up front on two conversions. On a 10 speed cruiser bike with no frame holes for a front basket as the bodaboda has, I supended the battery both from the handlebars and with aluminum struts up from the bottom of the front fork.
Steering was slow with a swinging 18 lb battery, but then that is what I wanted. I'm not dodging rocks in a downhill offroad race, as modern forks seem to be designed for quick steering.
If you have enough arm and hand strength to pull yourself up a vertical rope with no feet, you may never have this problem. I do not have that strength, and after several shoulder tendons ripped in falls, I don't think "manning up" will help anything. I had been doing pilates arm & shoulder exercises with 5 lb weights.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, folks! Still evaluating my options, but I have a question about my Arroyo's rear rack.

I noticed there's no mounting hardware included in the center of the rack (other than bungee cords) that would allow you to attach a basket, trunk bag, or other accessory:

B5BEDD09-64AC-4FED-ABFF-34DDA68EB3C3.jpeg

However, there's a blog post on Gazelle's website talking about someone's experience with the Arroyo and the pictures show a basket secured to the rear rack:

D49DCCEF-9F69-4566-AECE-1455E7CDF5AF.jpeg 490D3227-4F84-4D7F-A71B-560D2A220015.jpeg

Any idea how I could do that? Or is it likely they just used zip ties to attach it?

Really appreciate your help!

Well, upon further inspection, I realized the tail end of the Arroyo's rack actually curves up a bit which, coupled with the seat hanging over the other end of the rack, makes mounting a basket difficult.

Looks like panniers might be the best option.

53428091-D242-48CF-81C7-E2FD2C1D08B1.jpeg

Generally you don't want more than 5 pounds or so in the front basket unless it is supported by something other than the handlebars.

I'd go with back side baskets. I like my Wald collapsible baskets--they aren't very expensive. If you get them, do make sure that the bungee cord also hooks through the basket bottom, since going over a big bump can cause the bottom to drop out. I have only had that happen once in over 2,000 miles, but it sure was a surprise and I'm lucky I wasn't riding through an intersection when my computer and everything fell.

Panniers are another option--my husband has a set of panniers on the back that he uses to put his computer and other work stuff.

Ended up taking @ebikemom's advice and purchased this nifty rear side basket from Tern that clips onto the pannier hanger using the Ortlieb mounting system:

475321F7-0254-43FA-9203-640F65F22765.jpeg

https://store.ternbicycles.com/prod...Wss4IHjaH9nIY4sIfTIP-4n1vmdZIQjBoCFSkQAvD_BwE

Haven't had a chance to ride with it yet, but first impressions are positive — it holds my backpack, clips on easily / securely, and seems stable. Will report back after testing it out!

B266AFFD-E17F-4311-99D7-907755E037B0.jpeg 9A5C5106-D3E3-4103-953E-EB736E4E9C7B.jpeg 9D7B7B52-B9F6-4D56-A180-80E9F8A74F70.jpeg EADC23B3-1B32-4B1E-933E-7BE9FEAFD156.jpeg

I'm a big fan of carrying things on the front of the bike, though as has been mentioned, it can be unstable unless the rack is attached to the frame. If the basket isn't attached to the frame, a "deflopilator" spring to keep the front wheel from flopping to the side is helpful. See (Link Removed - No Longer Exists).

1545451153571.png

With the rear battery, your bike will be very heavy in the rear if you carry much back there. That said, it looks like it has a rear rack, so that would be an easy solution.

Thumbs down for backpack - too sweaty in the hot weather.

Back