Front and Rear Lights Installed on Giant with L&M Lights

drewberz

Hey everybody! Linked here is a guide for those that want to install front and rear lights on their Giant bike. I’ve done this before, but on a 2017 Road E+. I am installing Light and Motion's lights on a 2020 Revolt E+ which has the same JST, JWPF series connectors and 6V supply. Chances are, a lot of other Giants bikes do too. The front light now has 4 usable power settings so it may be drawing even more from the PW-X2 motor than the SyncDrive Sport (PWseries ST? from Yamaha) from Giant.

Missed this when you posted, but appreciate the great writeup. I'd love to get lights on my 2020 Revolt at some point (I have independent lights from my commuting days, but dedicated lights off the battery would be awesome).

Missed this when you posted, but appreciate the great writeup. I'd love to get lights on my 2020 Revolt at some point (I have independent lights from my commuting days, but dedicated lights off the battery would be awesome).
No problem. I was in the same situation, and once I added these lights to the Revolt, the hassle of charging went away and I could be confident I'd always have light in the dark. It feels frustrating to not being able to tap the bike battery's juice! Definitely worth doing if you can find some time, or a shop that is willing.

I know there are a lot more light options out now too. Planet Bike and Portland Design Works both have offerings.

Great writeup, thanks for sharing again @drewberz. @drewberz original post, along with some YouTube videos inspired me to add Nip&Tuck lights to my Momentum Transend E+ a couple of months ago and I am so glad I did it.

Update - Shortly after sharing my install on the forum, I went ahead and swapped out the cheap headlight for the Nip headlight and even though the Nip&Tuck combo exceeds the Giant/Momentum current limit by .5watt (when headlight is set to 'High'), everything has worked perfectly.

Thank you very much for writing this out, @drewberz. Why do you specify 4x the 02T-JWPF-VSLE-S connectors - shouldn't it be only one connector for the front and one for the rear?

I have had the L&M headlight and it's not bad. but it's not enough in complete darkness. thew trek light does much better but it's twice the price. I was thinking of their taillight but it was hard to find by its self. got the nightrider and it pumps out serious light and you can change its settings too.

Thank you very much for writing this out, @drewberz. Why do you specify 4x the 02T-JWPF-VSLE-S connectors - shouldn't it be only one connector for the front and one for the rear?

Correct, 1x each. I allotted extra in case they were broken during handling/installation.

BTW, I'd recommend buying jumpers with the pins pre-crimped on to avoid the hassle of crimping. You would have to solder then unless you used an additional connector.

Back