Frey CC

All good, thanks to YouTube, now just got yo get all the wires back in..
So, today I removed the cranks, chainring, motor, and routed the cable for the drop down seatpost. Took a bit of fiddling around to get the cable seated and the post operating, and then to get the motor back in place. I left most of the wiring and plugs out and replaced the 3 mount bolts. I then manipulated the wiring onto the gap between motor and frame and then replaced the side cover with the 3 Philips machine screws, bit of pushing and shoving but it's all in place and most importantly, every thing works fine. I noticed the seat won't drop until I take the weight off it but otherwise all good. Job done..

Loved my wife's so much I ordered 2 more CC for the kids to ride when we go out.. Every time I ride this thing it impresses.. Kinda like the mercedes I bought.. the more I drove it the more I loved it..

It is a nice bike, miss riding it in the winter but just too wet and cold in these parts to enjoy this time of year. Pricing has gone up quite a bit since I bought mine. Was $3K a couple years ago, now $4.5K, wow, glad I picked one up when I did!

One of the biggest issues I've had with the CC is the shifting. I've had to change the cable twice, constantly adjusting the tension and doesn't shift properly so looking at a wireless solution and was wondering if anyone has tried the Archer DX1 on their CC and how it performs? worth it?

Just curious if any one has racked up a lot of miles or km on any frey bike version.

Say 5000km or more ?

What goes wrong ,tyre wear etc ,motor life .chains .brake pads etc.

put 150 Lb in the rear shock front is 120,front feels soft to me ,rear feels quite hard

Hey Tom ,we just have to charge our batteries a bit more ,I'm sure this (range ) will get better with more careful use of pas and throttle .

Was just having an extreme hoon!!!!.........just for a laugh .............

The issues I've had may be particular to my riding style and terrain, I ride faster than I should, mostly on paths and occasionally uphill, here are the list of things:
  • Charger failed but Frey replaced it (air shipped a new unit free after providing proof), wouldn't charge to 100% and battery discharged inconsistently, glad it wasn't the battery
  • Chain skipping resulted after a few months of riding fast on lowest cog, changed cassette and good for another few months but now slowly skipping due to high torque, I've had to adjust my riding style.
  • KMC X10e Chain broke after 4,500 kms, changed that
  • Schwalbe Moto-X are awesome no flats and still tread left
  • Shifting is my biggest issue, had to change cable twice, doesn't shift well for me, looking at wireless solution
  • I put 3M protection film on the bike and noticed paint chips easy on some parts (very thin coat)
  • Changed the brake pads bled brake lines, adjusted brake levers
  • Motor noise is a bit loud might need to regrease
  • Guess you can always try to adjust the shocks with a shock pump.
Having said that so far, no real serious issues with the bike, just changed lots of components and added lots of extras.

Attachments

• fcc.jpg
    fcc.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
The issues I've had may be particular to my riding style and terrain, I ride faster than I should, mostly on paths and occasionally uphill, here are the list of things:
  • Charger failed but Frey replaced it (air shipped a new unit free after providing proof), wouldn't charge to 100% and battery discharged inconsistently, glad it wasn't the battery
  • Chain skipping resulted after a few months of riding fast on lowest cog, changed cassette and good for another few months but now slowly skipping due to high torque, I've had to adjust my riding style.
  • KMC X10e Chain broke after 4,500 kms, changed that
  • Schwalbe Moto-X are awesome no flats and still tread left
  • Shifting is my biggest issue, had to change cable twice, doesn't shift well for me, looking at wireless solution
  • I put 3M protection film on the bike and noticed paint chips easy on some parts (very thin coat)
  • Changed the brake pads bled brake lines, adjusted brake levers
  • Motor noise is a bit loud might need to regrease
  • Guess you can always try to adjust the shocks with a shock pump.
Having said that so far, no real serious issues with the bike, just changed lots of components and added lots of extras.
mine has done 2500 km now about 1500 miles .

Its in getting new cassette and chain now,9 10 and 11 gears were visibly worn.
A local cycle dealer suggested fitting a bigger chain wheel so that you wont need to use gears 9,10 11.

Its a costly excercise to replace all that stuff but its the price we pay for that wonderful performance .

My motor is really noisy ,bearing type noise and i suspect that clutch /bearing is worn ,under power I often get a big crack type noise from the motor.

have ordered some replacement parts ie clutch ,intermediate gear and bearing from grennbikekit and California ebikes as well as gaskets.

I will gather up some quality bearings and replace all of them in the motor.

Bafang is like a secret society ,no parts drawings and indeed no parts .

When I have all the parts I will measure and source all the bearings and publish the info here ,you just need some calipers and the numbers on the bearings ,then take them to your local sKF or other qualty bearing source.

Reactions: JRA
I need a battery cover ...........Frey dont seem to know what I am talking about when I e mail them.

does any one know a source for one?

You are as vague as Frey ,its the plastic cover that you see on the front of the battery ,remove 2 small screws to remove it !!!!!!!

Take a picture of your battery with the cover, a second picture of only the cover and send it to the Frey people pointing out you only need the plastic cover ....

I still have no clue what he's talking about, sounds like it's the actual plastic cover on the battery. It could also be the wiring cover in the frame behind the battery. Both have two screws. I just looked at my CC battery and the plastc lip theoretically could serve double duty as a pseudo bash plate. Must have been quite the crash assuming it got cracked.

correct ....picked it up one handed after charging it ,slipped out of my hand and hit the floor ,the plastic battery cover broke about 2 inches off the top ,mounting points broke ,repaired the cover with some cf tissue and instant glue ,its velcroed on now ,until I find another one ...........

correct ....picked it up one handed after charging it ,slipped out of my hand and hit the floor ,the plastic battery cover broke about 2 inches off the top ,mounting points broke ,repaired the cover with some cf tissue and instant glue ,its velcroed on now ,until I find another one ...........
Now I think I understand. Bummer, Ruddle. I would send an email to the ladies at Frey explaining what happened. Grace and Abby were awesome during my buying process. Be descriptive and also let them know it was an accident...

Please be aware that till around the 7th of Feb China is closed for Spring Festival, Chinese new year. Plus it will take the Frey team some time to catch up on sales and logistics when back to the office.

Typically the last 2-4 weeks before this period, so this year from early January, it's really a hectic period, getting as much bikes out as logistics allows, end of year financials, staff issues to iron out. So during this period other priorities get most attention.

I was wondering if someone knew what the largest chainring we can use with the CC, I currently have a 46T and one of the tooth broke off (aluminum) so I'm looking to get a steel one but wondering if I could go with a 48T. Thanks!

I was wondering if someone knew what the largest chainring we can use with the CC, I currently have a 46T and one of the tooth broke off (aluminum) so I'm looking to get a steel one but wondering if I could go with a 48T. Thanks!
I have a 48T and it just fits. Chain requires a couple of links. I think 50T would be too big.

Thanks. That sucks i just changed my chain today, will see if its possible to add the extra links I still have.
Did you add links to go from 40T to 46T? if so, the increase to 48T may work without additional links.

Did you add links to go from 40T to 46T? if so, the increase to 48T may work without additional links.
When i initially went from 40T to 46T ya had to add but this was a brand new chain so we just removed the extra ones and used the magic link. Looking to get the Surly one steel rather than aluminum for hopefully better durability. I've since changed chains 3x and chainring twice and cassette once.

Last edited:
Back