Frey CC

I had forgotten about 'no throttle from stop' when I first rode my new bike. Was all flustered about it for a bit and then when riding for the first trial ... wow. One half turn of the crank and there was fun fantastic throttle in spades! I would never change this configuration now. And if you do change it you really need to down shift when you come to a stop. Really really. Plus you might want to practice up on your wheelie skills. :oops:;)
Where did you learn about this feature cuz the bike didn't come with any manual or instructions for anything. Most of which you can find online but would've been nice to have known about the zero-start and not have a panic attack. :) so the power output is relative to the gear you're in? guess I'll have to practice a bit before, thanks and Merry Christmas!

Power level more about what PAS level you are in.... But oh, for sure, ride it a bit. Like I said, I'm at 250 miles, and still trying to get my head wrapped around it! Noteworthy, is this is my 4th e-bike, with 2 of the previous both rated for 1000w+. Ultra is a different animal!

Power level more about what PAS level you are in.... But oh, for sure, ride it a bit. Like I said, I'm at 250 miles, and still trying to get my head wrapped around it! Noteworthy, is this is my 4th e-bike, with 2 of the previous both rated for 1000w+. Ultra is a different animal!
Is it ever ! In spades. I stay in eco mode about all the time. Eco 5 is pretty much ultimate power I would ever need. I tried Sport mode a very little bit and I guess maybe I'd use it on the very steepest of hills but maybe not even then. I can go real fast, too fast, without Sport at all. No likey real fast ... at all.

Right gotcha, I saw a video where they mention about popping a wheeling in the lowest gear so I'll need to be careful since I typically keep gear high so I could get the pedal resistance and have some benefit of exercise. Do you still have those other 1000w+ bikes around or you kept upgrading? nice to know you settled on Frey after having tried all those other ones. :)

Where did you learn about this feature cuz the bike didn't come with any manual or instructions for anything. Most of which you can find online but would've been nice to have known about the zero-start and not have a panic attack. :) so the power output is relative to the gear you're in? guess I'll have to practice a bit before, thanks and Merry Christmas!
We awaiting our bikes for the last several months became EBR junkies. I use 'What's New' and then 'Recent Activity' to monitor just about everything that gets posted here. I'm an extreme case. The deal about 'no throttle from stop' came up a few times in various posts and threads. The on-line manual is useless to my mind. Videos on you tube are much more instructive. And experimentation will get you even further.:)

Just be careful and learn incrementally.

Is it ever ! In spades. I stay in eco mode about all the time. Eco 5 is pretty much ultimate power I would ever need. I tried Sport mode a very little bit and I guess maybe I'd use it on the very steepest of hills but maybe not even then. I can go real fast, too fast, without Sport at all. No likey real fast ... at all.
When i got my first 500w ebike I said I'd never go beyond PAS 2... 2 months later I got a Frey. :p

Right gotcha, I saw a video where they mention about popping a wheeling in the lowest gear so I'll need to be careful since I typically keep gear high so I could get the pedal resistance and have some benefit of exercise. Do you still have those other 1000w+ bikes around or you kept upgrading? nice to know you settled on Frey after having tried all those other ones. :)
I have an Ultra powered Rize RX Pro, which is a hard tail 4" fattie. I just like hanging out here with the Frey guys and helping when/if I can. Good group of people, and there's no difference in the Ultra motors - other than this "no throttle from stop" business.

I still have one of the 1000w bikes. The wife is on it as hers is getting old and we're waiting for her new one to come in. It's a custom by me '17 RAD City with a 35a KT controller and MAC 12t motor. -Al

So right now, if I am at a dead stop on a Frey CC and want to apply the throttle, (maybe get going at a stop light) I have to start pedaling before the throttle engages? I'm pretty sure I asked Frey to make mine responsive from a dead stop...

So right now, if I am at a dead stop on a Frey CC and want to apply the throttle, (maybe get going at a stop light) I have to start pedaling before the throttle engages? I'm pretty sure I asked Frey to make mine responsive from a dead stop...
That's what they're saying. The pedals/bike must be moving prior to the motor powering up. They're serious about the false start issue!

I'm SURE that can be changed in the controller setup.

That's what they're saying. The pedals/bike must be moving prior to the motor powering up. They're serious about the false start issue!

That's really the only time I use the throttle-dead stop, quick blip to get going and then engage pedaling.

That's really the only time I use the throttle-dead stop, quick blip to get going and then engage pedaling.
Yup, me too for the most part. Though if somebody accused me of using it for just a moment to catch up with a riding partner or something like a small incline, without changing gears or PAS levels, I might be guilty there as well.

No right or wrong here. Just personal 'druthers... -Al

Would like to know how to disable this feature as well, emailed Frey and will update.

The (kinda heavy) clicking while rolling the bike backward is normal. It's the clutch dogs in the motor drive.

On that non-zero start, they make a good point from a safety aspect. It's VERY easy to do something that will cause the bike to surge ahead unexpectedly while climbing aboard. Been there a couple of times right after receiving mine! That'll put some excitement into your life! What I learned though, is to make darn sure the bike is turned off, or have a handful of brake when boarding.

I would find and change that "non-zero start" setting. It totally defeats my primary reason for having a throttle. Mine is used to get the bike rolling, and is rarely used from there. Holler if you need a hand. I'll dive in and see if I can find it if you can't.

And last, 2 things really. First, rider weight can have a BIG impact on range. My wife is able to get nearly twice the range I was able to get on my old bike - but I weigh more than twice what she weighs easily. Also, speaking for myself, it took me quite a few miles to teach myself how to ride the bike efficiently. Not talking a hundred miles either. I'll bet I was a good 400 miles on my first bike, which was a cadence sensing hub drive. I'm at about 250 miles with the new Ultra equipped bike, and STILL getting used to it.... -Al
Thanks a lot AHicks, the holding the brakes while getting on makes sense... also not a fan of rolling starts, so I'll see what Frey says. Was poking around in the software but don't want to change anything till I hear back. On my previous ebike a 500w Daymak Wildgoose i'd always kept the gear at it's highest so that I can get enough pedaling resistance but at some point I needed more so I'm hoping the CC will give much more resistance at mid PAS to still allow me to get some exercise but just go faster. That's the debate my MTB friend and I were having, he calls riding an ebike "cheating" while I argue it's the same as long as you have enough pedal resistance to sweat so you're basically just going faster, further and explore more. :)

Last edited:
I don't blame you for being shy regarding the software changes. There's a LOT of "stuff" in there!

I found that tracking the original settings as I changed them, to allow me to undo any mistakes, a comfort. That and just making one change at a time, then testing to see if that change worked the way I thought it would, gave me the confidence to jump in and get my feet wet.

If you have an idea of what change you want to make, I'll be happy to give you a second opinion - right OR wrong!

I don't blame you for being shy regarding the software changes. There's a LOT of "stuff" in there!

I found that tracking the original settings as I changed them, to allow me to undo any mistakes, a comfort. That and just making one change at a time, then testing to see if that change worked the way I thought it would, gave me the confidence to jump in and get my feet wet.

If you have an idea of what change you want to make, I'll be happy to give you a second opinion - right OR wrong!
I just went for my "maiden voyage" on the CC to take advantage of the mild temperatures and was a nice first ride loved the suspension but expected more power, would you happen to know which settings would give that surge as I depress the throttle? if it'll risk damaging the components or cause undue wear I'd rather dial it back a notch. (a very small notch) :) Thanks!

it cannot be changed in the controller setup Frey has to send you a program that flash the controller to get start from stop with the throttle

yes I have flashed the controller and got the start from stop feature ....you would have to ask Frey for the flash program as they do not allow customers to share the flash program
I asked for them to do it at the build and they agreed. Hope it shows up that way. Actually, I just hope it shows up!

Back