Frey Beast 60V 1800W eMTB

I ordered my Frey Beast in June 2021. Its a medium frame with the army green color. Got shipped late December 2021. Expecting delivery soon. It reached US soil in Jan but has been stuck in a container at port for over a month. See photo after assembly at the factory. Very excited.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 284
Mine came in today also..

Funny I was checking my email with the Tracking numbers and it said the container had been picked up so I checked my Fed-Ex tracking number and nothing... So about lunch time the thing shows up.. WOW so random.. Anyways I put it together and rode it up the street and back.. I like it.. Mine is the orange color.. Tomorrow taking the grand kids on a ride to the outdoor mall with the playground.. They have a blast and we will grab some food while we are there.

So a couple things ... Took a ride today towing the trailer. Things I noticed

1) Wow this thing has some torque.. When using the throttle and taking off... it wants to lift the front... Not all the way but lurches.. Not a big issue but something to be careful with..

2) Maybe because of the torque ... when you let off the throttle the whole rear kicks and shifts .. Almost like a thunk... the back end will move.. My other CC doesn't do that at all... I am going to email Frey and see if that is normal. Seems like the rear is moving to much..

3) When towing... It doesn't seem to go up hill as fast with throttle as the CC... or a slower response I should say...

4) you feel the weight of the bike when cornering.. Not as responsive as the CC

5) I found myself using setting 2 on eco and doesn't seem to need as much push as the CC to keep it moving. I like that part..

6) I need to adjust the shocks as I feel every bump.. Not in a bad way... just more than the CC model.

7) regardless the kids had fun.. A little chilly when we started at 50 degrees but it was about 60 on the way home and real nice.. a little cold for me so I loaded up with clothes because I wanted to ride it to get the first feel for the bike.... I ordered the large frame and it is big... I am 6' 225lbs and it is just right.. I have long legs (I think I am a 34" in seem.. any bigger and it wouldn't work for me so keep that in mind if you order one... Battery used less than 15% which is better than the CC but this is a very large battery... The battery area of the bike is massive.

Attachments

• IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_4311.jpg
    IMG_4311.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 309

1) Wow this thing has some torque.. When using the throttle and taking off... it wants to lift the front... Not all the way but lurches.. Not a big issue but something to be careful with..

2) Maybe because of the torque ... when you let off the throttle the whole rear kicks and shifts .. Almost like a thunk... the back end will move.. My other CC doesn't do that at all... I am going to email Frey and see if that is normal. Seems like the rear is moving to much..

3) When towing... It doesn't seem to go up hill as fast with throttle as the CC... or a slower response I should say...

4) you feel the weight of the bike when cornering.. Not as responsive as the CC

5) I found myself using setting 2 on eco and doesn't seem to need as much push as the CC to keep it moving. I like that part..

6) I need to adjust the shocks as I feel every bump.. Not in a bad way... just more than the CC model.

7) regardless the kids had fun.. A little chilly when we started at 50 degrees but it was about 60 on the way home and real nice.. a little cold for me so I loaded up with clothes because I wanted to ride it to get the first feel for the bike.... I ordered the large frame and it is big... I am 6' 225lbs and it is just right.. I have long legs (I think I am a 34" in seem.. any bigger and it wouldn't work for me so keep that in mind if you order one... Battery used less than 15% which is better than the CC but this is a very large battery... The battery area of the bike is massive.
Thanks for posting your initial review of the bike. When I was messaging Frey to discuss the order on this bike. They did caution the torque and power required some experience in handling this bike.

Thanks for posting. I make Sondors Rockstar $3k videos on YouTube and I was looking at the beast $7k for months, knowing a long delay in transit loomed. Then came the V6 $5k Then the frame kit $3k. I’m stuck on the value proposition. Is it worth $8k-3k waiting months on end in shipping worth it? I have a great concept on how to fairly evenly compare the two brands. I emailed Frey a few weeks and they can’t convince me, won’t budge on price either, although I see the frame kit it 2900 now.

Apologies I meant "Beast It !!!!". Would love to see vids of Da Beast in action on YouTube America.
I'm a CBD patient I must have gotten over served that night.

I rode this morning and I think a black Rockstar passed me as if I were parked on the ebike way. I don't know the grade percent on this bikeway.
Pretty steep to maintain 20 mph on my bike.
No worries, I need someone to talk me into Frey bikes and give me a referral code for a discount. Lol I’m cheap.

Thanks for posting your initial review of the bike. When I was messaging Frey to discuss the order on this bike. They did caution the torque and power required some experience in handling this bike.
I assembled my medium frame Beast and took it for a spin. Did 21 miles on medium grade ups and downs. Overall worked very well on PAS 2 and smallest rear sprocket wheel. Avg speed was 14 mph. Very happy with bike. Just a few pet peeves

1. Absolutely no documentation. But, Frey was super helpful in answering questions via email. Even sent me a video on battery removal.

2. The attention to fine detail during assembly could be better. The brake levers were not on the same plane. Easy adjust. But it's their premium bike. Units were in km/h. I had to change it in the DPC-18 display. It was an export to US.

3. Speed could not reach anywhere close to 28 mph on level ride with PAS 5. I was in ECO mode. Will test other modes.

I assembled my medium frame Beast and took it for a spin. Did 21 miles on medium grade ups and downs. Overall worked very well on PAS 2 and smallest rear sprocket wheel. Avg speed was 14 mph. Very happy with bike. Just a few pet peeves

1. Absolutely no documentation. But, Frey was super helpful in answering questions via email. Even sent me a video on battery removal.

2. The attention to fine detail during assembly could be better. The brake levers were not on the same plane. Easy adjust. But it's their premium bike. Units were in km/h. I had to change it in the DPC-18 display. It was an export to US.

3. Speed could not reach anywhere close to 28 mph on level ride with PAS 5. I was in ECO mode. Will test other modes.
Were you able to get more speed out of it? The top speed should easily be able to exceed 28 mph on flat terrain.

Were you able to get more speed out of it? The top speed should easily be able to exceed 28 mph on flat terrain.
I have had an issue with the battery connector on my Frey. The battery connector plate metal contacts were pushed back. Looks like a manufacturing defect of early Frey Beast's. Frey's customer service has been fantastic and they supplied a replacement part and detailed videos. The downside is I've to remove my Ultra Motor from the frame to access the battery connector, replace it and then re-install the motor. I'll keep everyone posted on the project. Also needed a couple of specialty tools that I found a list on Wattswagon website and ordered it on Amazon

Attachments

• PXL_20220614_044300109.jpg
    PXL_20220614_044300109.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 193
I have had an issue with the battery connector on my Frey. The battery connector plate metal contacts were pushed back. Looks like a manufacturing defect of early Frey Beast's. Frey's customer service has been fantastic and they supplied a replacement part and detailed videos. The downside is I've to remove my Ultra Motor from the frame to access the battery connector, replace it and then re-install the motor. I'll keep everyone posted on the project. Also needed a couple of specialty tools that I found a list on Wattswagon website and ordered it on Amazon
Any updates?

Have you tried adjusting the Slow Start, & which PAS mode the throttle uses?

(Also, use 'Current' not 'Speed', as the Throttle mode: 'Speed' mode attempts to blast up to a selected speed then slacks off upon approach; 'Current' mode works like an actual throttle.)

On the UART-programmable version of the AM1000 v5, I spent no less than twelve hours, softening the takeoff, adjusting response to pedal torque, & setting the speed ranges of the Torque tab so that they line up with our bike's gear ratios. (A Base Voltage of 0 mV is NOT CALIBRATED, & the Delta Voltage & Spd0\20\40\60\80\100 settings are crucial for matching your gear ratios.)

Both gentle & stronger takeoffs are now possible, via improved pedal torque sensing range & accuracy, & use of Slow Start settings; eliminated a spike in pedal effort around ~12 & 18 MPH; closer match between effort & output, across varying speeds; added "PAS 0" as a 6th PAS mode running at just 7% output (turn ebike off, for no assist); improved range via lower output percentiles on assist modes below PAS 4; tamed run-on in Sport mode (especially Sport PAS 5), though no one but me even uses Sport mode yet (plenty fast in Eco PAS 4)!

This is all on an AM1000 running 48V with a UART controller.

I'm extremely interested to know whether your Beast's 60V controller is similarly programmable, & if so, what settings get you the best results.

Last edited:
Presuming that your controller is set to derive it's limits from the Display unit, your Display's "Max Speed" setting, adjusts what speed at which motor assistance drops out. By default, that may be set lower than the legal limits where you ride. (If the Max Speed setting is unavailable, setting a smaller wheel size enables higher real speeds, but the MPH indicator will be inaccurate.)

The primary limiting factor on top speed for our Frey AM1000 v5, is most certainly the rear end's gear ratios:

We're on a 40-tooth front chainring, pulling a 42-tooth-to-11-tooth rear cassette (with SRAM Eagle NX derailleur). That's below 1:1 ratio for first gear, not quite 4:1 for last gear.

A taller chainring would enable proportionally higher actual top speeds (say, a 44-tooth chainring, or 46, 48, or even 51; all will fit the AM1000).

With all this power on tap, none of us here in Denver, have been using all the gears on that cassette: 1st is useful only for climbing extreme slopes ('granny gear'); 3rd is good for gentle takeoffs on flat ground; 5th, 7th, 9th, & 11th all get plenty of use... but none of us are ever using all the gears in between.

A wider ratio cassette would be very welcome. With so much power, there is no need for close gear spacing.

I am certain that a 44-tooth chainring, with a 46-tooth-to-11-tooth "ultra wide ratio" cassette (over 400% shift range), would result in:

1) Higher actual top speed; currently limited by impractically high pedal cadence, preventing pedal effort from assisting the motor at speeds over ~25 MPH.

2) Longer range at high speeds, from a reduction in cadence allowing pedal effort to contribute far more force (right now, pedal effort contributes roughly nothing, at the flailingly high cadence reached by 28 MPH).

3) Less unnecessary shifting, by virtue of wider gear spacing of "ultra wide ratio" cassettes. Currently, we've been shifting two gears at a time, skipping in-between speeds; mostly using 3rd & 11th a lot.

4) Reduced tooth wear on the chainline, thanks to taller gears overall, & reduced usage of last gear (11-tooth).

Smaller chainrings than 40-tooth might make sense, for extreme hill climbers who will never need to pedal up to higher speeds; but for all other conditions, the m620 motor at 48V has so much power that there's no benefit to so many shift-points in between, & top speed is reached almost immediately because the pedal cadence gets too high to keep up with meaningfully.

I suspect this is even more pronounced on the higher powered 60V Beast. If you get the chance to try other ratio cassettes & chainrings, please report your findings!
(Also note that re-tuning the pedal torque response is critical, when changing the end gear ratios & shift points!)

Mine isnt programmable .. It had the opposite connector than the Frey CC I have.. But i didnt try.
That's a shame: The difference between the pedal assist feel (edit) on the AM1000 v5, first out of the box, & then after calibration, was basically like the difference between driving with an on/off switch for a throttle, & having an actual throttle. Any pedal force at all, read as ~12 Kg, causing the motor to leap into action at >20% output (never less, unless capped by PAS mode), & then the pedal torque sensing ran out of sensing range right away; so the pedal assist was missing over 25% of it's sensing range overall, & had only "lots" & "max" as responses.

Additionally, every single variation in available gearing ratios, will alter the actual speeds (& effort levels) at which the controller varies its pedal torque response.

Basically, without the ability to adjust the Torque Spd0\20\etc settings, it's impossible to optimize the torque response for a new set of gear ratios.

Also, without adjusting the Delta Voltage ranges for each span of pedal force "Kg" reported, it's impossible to calibrate for alternate pedal crank lengths.

Essentially, Bafang shouldn't be selling these controllers without the ability to adjust their torque settings. (Especially since they have shipped so many of them totally uncalibrated, with the torque sensing dangerously wrong!)

Frey may have access to these controller settings, so they potentially might be able to properly calibrate & then tune them, for each chainring+cassette pairing they sell... but that still leaves it impossible to reconfigure later, should the bike ever need any change in equipment.

Bafang is destroying the future utility of their CANBus controllers, by locking them down this way: Anyone with a Bafang motor will need an aftermarket controller, in order to set the motor up for another build, or even just to optimize the build they have. My hope was that Frey would be using aftermarket (or ¿modified?) 60V controllers, on their Beast, with unlocked controller settings to go with that. ... {sigh...}

Anyway, even hobbled by the CANBus controller's locked down settings, you've got a heck of a motor there (especially running at its originally intended 60 Volts)!

Please report back with Range\Ah\Performance comparisons, between your 60V & 48V m620 ebikes? 😎👍

Last edited:
I dont ride enough right now.. Its been hot (115 degrees).. The humidity has been high (as high as 74%) yes a little cooler but too hot. Hope to start back up in the next couple of weeks though.. soon as I get some good numbers I will post up.. I usually tow the grandkids in a Thule double joggers cart.. Fun times..

I dont ride enough right now.. Its been hot (115 degrees).. The humidity has been high (as high as 74%) yes a little cooler but too hot. Hope to start back up in the next couple of weeks though.. soon as I get some good numbers I will post up.. I usually tow the grandkids in a Thule double joggers cart.. Fun times..
I have an inflatable dinosaur costume, which would be under serious consideration for conversion into an oxygen-enriched air-conditioned riding suit, if it had better sightlines.

As it stands right now, those motorcycles which blast AC into the rider's air pocket behind their fairing, feel more & more appealing.

On the ebike... Well, hot days were a big reason I needed the ebike in the first place; I use it a lot on all the days that are too hot to ride a lighter bike, right up until it's too hot to do anything (much less go exercise outside)...

Bad air quality & heat make each other twice as bad, for one's health. It's hard to see how riding in many areas will remain viable, without temperature-controlled bodysuits & positive-pressure filtered air supplies?

I think it comes down to what you want and how bad you want.. Im to lazy to ride in this heat... No real reward for me.. Its not enjoyable.. So when the risk to reward gets better I will jump in and bring the grandkids with me and the wife..

I think it comes down to what you want and how bad you want.. Im to lazy to ride in this heat... No real reward for me.. Its not enjoyable.. So when the risk to reward gets better I will jump in and bring the grandkids with me and the wife..
Well, bikes are also how I get around, so it's either go ride or go hungry! ;D

Back