Frame lock fail

MrFixit266

I recently received my bike and while riding I looked down and the bike frame had come totally unlocked. Luckily I stopped and locked it before crashing. I was really careful after that but now I am slightly paranoid. The lock snaps to the frame but moves away after only a few feet of movement. Does this look correct?

Attachments

• CDBA65F2-BC76-4172-97A9-E21F19797994.jpeg
    CDBA65F2-BC76-4172-97A9-E21F19797994.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 699
  • 101EADF0-1F2D-4ABE-8FF9-BB1BCCCA4291.jpeg
    101EADF0-1F2D-4ABE-8FF9-BB1BCCCA4291.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 699
Have you contacted Lectric? I’m curious what they say... I’m expecting to receive my first XP and will definitely keep an eye for this. If that secondary lock isn’t functioning that seems pretty dangerous

I recently received my bike and while riding I looked down and the bike frame had come totally unlocked. Luckily I stopped and locked it before crashing. I was really careful after that but now I am slightly paranoid. The lock snaps to the frame but moves away after only a few feet of movement. Does this look correct?

Did you try adjusting the screw thats inside the locking mechanism? It looks to be adjustable...

I have the same problem..in fact for me it was a security issue because my pants would catch on that LATCH once in a while while pedaling and its almost caused me to crash twice. Needless to say I contacted Lectric about that and they replied..."that's perfectly normal" and that the screw inside could be adjusted. So I adjusted it and it didn't make any difference. My advice to anybody thinking of getting one of these bikes...get the Step Thru and never look back. Its a safer, lighter alternative and I can see why they decided to offer it.

I have the same problem..in fact for me it was a security issue because my pants would catch on that LATCH once in a while while pedaling and its almost caused me to crash twice. Needless to say I contacted Lectric about that and they replied..."that's perfectly normal" and that the screw inside could be adjusted. So I adjusted it and it didn't make any difference. My advice to anybody thinking of getting one of these bikes...get the Step Thru and never look back. Its a safer, lighter alternative and I can see why they decided to offer it.
Nonsense! Conclusions drawn on what? A close look shows the same latch on the step-thru, except it sticks out even further! An allen wrench and a few minutes is all that's needed to correct it.
Screenshot_20200729-063357_Chrome.jpg

Really..it's impossible for me to catch my pants on the latch..adjust it right and this won't happen. There are zero complaints about this on this forum except these two...

Really..it's impossible for me to catch my pants on the latch..adjust it right and this won't happen. There are zero complaints about this on this forum except these two...
I certainly was not complaining. It came unlocked and I was simply looking for advise on how to fix it.
Have you contacted Lectric? I’m curious what they say... I’m expecting to receive my first XP and will definitely keep an eye for this. If that secondary lock isn’t functioning that seems pretty dangerous
I contacted Lectric and they emailed me pictures and instructions on how to adjust this. They said I should be able to fix it unless the safety pin was broken. Luckily it was not and the adjustment was simple. It took longer to find the allen wrench in my mess of a tool box that it did to adjust :)

I adjusted the nut and now its super tight when closed. Lectric was great, They sent me pics and thorough instructions on how to remedy the situation.
Mrfixit266 my response was really for Myers830 whose response was to not buy the bike and buy the step thru. This misleads people who are interested in the XP but may not like the step thru so they buy something else based on misinformation. I apologize..You did the right thing by contacting Lectric and getting the issue solved so you can go out and enjoy and great bike..🚴

I certainly was not complaining. It came unlocked and I was simply looking for advise on how to fix it.

I contacted Lectric and they emailed me pictures and instructions on how to adjust this. They said I should be able to fix it unless the safety pin was broken. Luckily it was not and the adjustment was simple. It took longer to find the allen wrench in my mess of a tool box that it did to adjust :)
Can you post the pictures and instructions for others that may run into the same issue? That could be really helpful.

ORDER #18017 received 7/28/20
Had the exact same issue, thought I must not have latched it correctly the first time but it kept happening - definitely was not hitting it with my leg.
Went for a 1 mile ride on smooth road and it popped open about 6 times.

Called Lectric, they were great - Do not try adjusting the big silver screw, that doesn't help.
  1. There's a small black set screw, basically unscrew it from bottom with allen wrench
  2. Reinstall "upside down" from the top (leave about 4-5 threads exposed)

Took about 2 min. This provides a little more for the latch to grab onto and it didn't happen again on a 5 mile ride last night.

Before Picture
Set Screw.jpg

Last edited:
I had the latch open up on me going 20+ mph . The bike started going sideways like a rear flat but it was the frame opening up ! Thank goodness the bike electrics stopped once the hinge opened up . I made it to the side of the road without wrecking but that could have been bad . I did what you said and put the set screw in from the top leaving 3 or 4 threads showing (that works). Going to pick-up some Loctite too...
Stay Safe Mr.E

ORDER #18017 received 7/28/20
Had the exact same issue, thought I must not have latched it correctly the first time but it kept happening - definitely was not hitting it with my leg.
Went for a 1 mile ride on smooth road and it popped open about 6 times.

Called Lectric, they were great - Do not try adjusting the big silver screw, that doesn't help.
  1. There's a small black set screw, basically unscrew it from bottom with allen wrench
  2. Reinstall "upside down" from the top (leave about 4-5 threads exposed)

Took about 2 min. This provides a little more for the latch to grab onto and it didn't happen again on a 5 mile ride last night.

Before Picture
View attachment 60667
is there a "after picture"?

My solution...
IMG_0659.JPG
Also... Just backing that screw out a little bit made my latch thingy tighten right up.
But I am still gonna leave the bandana tied on it.
--------------
Well, maybe it didn't. Because it will slap shut against that battery box...
But I can still pull my latch out like in MrFixit's pic.

Just something else to be paranoid about...
Am I charging my battery correctly?
Do I have enough juice to make it home?
Will my bike fold in half while I am keeping up with traffic? :eek:;)

Last edited:
The bike was surprisingly stable even when the latch came open. If you think about it, it's really impossible for the bike to fold up with both wheels in contact with the ground while moving forward.
That being said - I'm glad the small adjustment recommended by support resolved the issue for me.

Very confident in the bike overall, amazing value at this price. Everyone who's taken it for a test drive has been very impressed and it's drawn a lot of interest out in the world.

Back