Found a way to work around the Speed limiter . Anyone know if this can damage my motor or battery?

TSlim

I removed the speed limiter on a 2019 Giant Explore. I’ve hit about 27 assisted which is plenty vs the 20mpg.
Can the higher speeds have a detrimental effect on the bikes components?

Attachments

• F52CDBB9-D497-418E-8C4E-9BF0D0897D97.jpeg
    F52CDBB9-D497-418E-8C4E-9BF0D0897D97.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3,781
  • 170B8A08-FF70-46B7-B838-0F7F796FF9F6.jpeg
    170B8A08-FF70-46B7-B838-0F7F796FF9F6.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 3,833
Last edited:
Care to share how you accomplished this and if the information on your display, if you have one, like speed, distance etc remains accurate?

:)

It looks like his bike had a magnet with speed sensor on the crank so prob. By removing that his bike just goes all out within motor limits. The battery will finish faster meaning shorter range when going at 23-25mph.

You are correct. Remove the sensor from the frame and the magnet from the wheel spoke. Fasten the sensor and the magnet to reconnect by passing each other with the magnet on the peddle and sensor on the frame. Slower peddle speed rotation vs tire rotation. I have a separate speedometer, and I map my ride on a seperate APP

Last edited:
Hi, I have done the same to my Giant Quick-e+ 2018 and the 20mph, 32km/h is now removed and can take it to 28mph, 45km/h. Keep in mind that using the pedal instead of your tyre for the actual speed fools the controller that you are going slower which allows you to go faster, so at 10km/h I was actually going 32km/h. My question is are we at any risk of damaging any component on the bike like the motor by going at 28mph, 45km/h? Thanks, Gary.

I've put in 500 miles or so and I haven't experienced any damage to any of the components thus far (fingers crossed) . I have however had to reset my RideOne while on the road a few times because it blinked red notifying me that it needs re calibration. But after the reset ...no issues. I would suggest removing the "work around" if you have any issues and need to return the bike for a warranty repair. I think we're good to go! That 8-10 miles an hour faster makes a huge difference.

It will stress the motor, controller, and battery more than usual. Feel your motor and battery to see how warm they are after a hard run. Last summer I ran my Pedego City Commuter at full throttle all the way home for about 5 miles one day. I had been riding it already and it was about 85-90 degrees outside, but I had a wicked thunderstorm/lighting chasing me all the way. After I got home I felt the motor and battery, they were quite warm but not hot. I put a 20" box fan on them for an hour or so to cool them off so they wouldn't sit and cook down for hours.

It will stress the motor, controller, and battery more than usual. Feel your motor and battery to see how warm they are after a hard run. Last summer I ran my Pedego City Commuter at full throttle all the way home for about 5 miles one day. I had been riding it already and it was about 85-90 degrees outside, but I had a wicked thunderstorm/lighting chasing me all the way. After I got home I felt the motor and battery, they were quite warm but not hot. I put a 20" box fan on them for an hour or so to cool them off so they wouldn't sit and cook down for hours.
Ahhhh...that makes sense. I typically don't run it on turbo yet LOL. But I also haven't been riding in the heat yet. It's about to get super hot here so I'll take that into consideration! I need to have the option of going 28 MPH or higher though. Also, I bought a second battery for longer rides. The 500W so i'll monitor them.

Last edited:
You wont fry anything. The motor will not deliver more than its rated power, and the battery wont deliver more current either. The most stress you can put on the drivetrain is when you are pedalling like fook up a steep hill at 20 kph before the limiter kicks in, with maximum assist mode, not when you are doing 40 ks on the flat. The only thing you will break is the law. The best thing I have done is fitted a badass box. 40 kph plus. The dealers diagnostic software did not see it ( after I removed it ) when I had warranty issues for water ingress ?

You wont fry anything. The motor will not deliver more than its rated power, and the battery wont deliver more current either. The most stress you can put on the drivetrain is when you are pedalling like fook up a steep hill at 20 kph before the limiter kicks in, with maximum assist mode, not when you are doing 40 ks on the flat. The only thing you will break is the law. The best thing I have done is fitted a badass box. 40 kph plus. The dealers diagnostic software did not see it ( after I removed it ) when I had warranty issues for water ingress ?
Actually the Motor CAN exceed it's rating . Record your Wattage continually, especially on hills. You'll find that even a 350 watt motor can Easily deliver 500 Watts or more. ?

Motor will deliver more than rated power, the rated power is at high motor RPM with lots of back emf usually. Keep in mind these motors are overbuilt though and the controller will not provide more power than the motor can take, there's usually a temperature sensor in the electric motor to keep track of the motor winding temperatures.

Delimiting the bike won't do much, just make sure your brakes are in good shape and your tires are not falling apart.

Sorry, should have made that clearer.. 250 watts is the continuous rating. When you are flat out up a steep hill it will go much higher....Without a delimiter. The driver circuits and motor have been built with this in mind. +1 for the above post regarding the bikes overall condition?

I removed the speed limiter on a 2019 Giant Explore. I’ve hit about 27 assisted which is plenty vs the 20mpg.
Can the higher speeds have a detrimental effect on the bikes components?
If you have the magnet on the crank and you have any problems giant will know and void your warranty I know because I have a fastroad e bike cost $1600 too replace my motor but I was only going 10km when the motor broke the pinion gear.I have derestricted this one too as it's so annoying to have it cut out at 25km then it's like dragging a car behind you.Why should I be restricted to 25km when people on normal bikes can go as fast as they want it's bullshit cars 110km motorbikes 110km I'll be taking it easier though.Get people on e bikes derestrict them even if it's to 40km give us a break

I understand about the idea of having the Option to exceed limits in an emergency. Cars can do it to get out of the way of an airplane landing on the highway. Or if they are taking someone to the Emergency Room. It is still a bike with bike components. Just take it easy.

I think if you delimit your bike to what it is rated for there should be no risk . If I buy my bike in the use its limited to 32 KMh but the same bike is limited to 25 KMh in Aus . The only difference is the law .
So if you wanted to be super safe and delimit it using a chip to 32 KMh you should get the same amount of life out of it as what the manufacture intended .

I have used the magnet and crank to delimit my 21 RoamE+ and now can keep up with the road bikes as 30-35kph is easily maintained on the flat. The process took about 10 minutes. At around 40kph the motor seems to no longer assist, probably because of the increased cadence, besides that it is hard to pedal much quicker anyhow. Have any members who used the magnet and crank system experienced any issues or problems that would indicate the motor is detecting the delimiting, as can happen on some of the Bosch gen 4 motors. Also can a dealer detect that the bike has been delimited via magnet if the system is restored before having a service performed

I tried it on my 2020 Explore E+1 couple of weeks ago, loved the extra power,
But because it obvious the sensor has been shifted/modified, I decided to buy a Volspeed 3 and fit that.
Can turn it on/off with the key press sequence at will, 'off' is the 25km limit and 'on' I leave it at 32km, plenty fast enough on the street.

only read a news article couple months ago where a bike v car crash insurance claim was rejected because the police found the bike had been modified during their investigation.

I tried it on my 2020 Explore E+1 couple of weeks ago, loved the extra power,
But because it obvious the sensor has been shifted/modified, I decided to buy a Volspeed 3 and fit that.
Can turn it on/off with the key press sequence at will, 'off' is the 25km limit and 'on' I leave it at 32km, plenty fast enough on the street.

only read a news article couple months ago where a bike v car crash insurance claim was rejected because the police found the bike had been modified during their investigation.
Was it easy to install? Did you have to pull the motor out?

Back