Flying with Electric Bike Batteries? Tips and Advice

With all of the new chaos regarding flying with even a laptop, I would not want to risk anything that could get your battery confiscated, you arrested, and or something horrific happening while your in the air. Many travel destinations today have ebike rentals available, particularly large cities. No need risk anything.
Sad really. The Grin solution will work for domestic flights but I'm afraid international are going to take a hit.

I recently went to the UPS store to mail a letter for Mother's day and spoke with the people there. They did confirm my earlier post that you can ship batteries ground (coast to coast like 5 days) and if you call the store ahead, they might even do store to store shipping (depending on the franchiser). Don't even have to be a myUPS member.

I recently went to the UPS store to mail a letter for Mother's day and spoke with the people there. They did confirm my earlier post that you can ship batteries ground (coast to coast like 5 days) and if you call the store ahead, they might even do store to store shipping (depending on the franchiser). Don't even have to be a myUPS member.
That would be a real score! Returning batteries for repair is currently a real nightmare. I'm going to see what my local UPS store replies. It would be interesting if many more readers would do the same thing and report back...

Hi,

I'm researching whether or not to get an electric bike. This whole talk on batteries is a bit above my understanding. If the bike I'm looking to get (I would be buying second hand) has a SAMSUNG battery 36V - 12Ah, is that too big to go on a plane? I might be leaving the country I'm in, in about a year and would like to do if I can bring the battery with me (they're quite expensive). All the help you can give would be amazing.

Hello Noah,

Unfortunately you won't be able to travel with this size battery is it's capacity is too large (greater than 100WH). And is actually a 432Wh capacity (36V x 12Ah = 432WH). Per international regulation most carriers limit to 100Wh per battery.

regards,

William

Sorry, Noah. Close, but no cigar :)

International rules from the post on page #2 of this thread:

"With the approval of the operator, portable electronic devices may contain lithium ion batteries exceeding 100 Wh, but not exceeding 160 Wh and no more than two individually protected lithium ion batteries each exceeding 100 Wh, but not exceeding 160 Wh, may be carried per person as spare batteries in carry-on baggage".

Translation: Airline "might" allow max 160 WH each, max 320 WH total of 2 batteries.

This is a minor variation from domestic US FAA rules, where they allow same 2*160WH but without the airline approval.

Sorry, Noah. Close, but no cigar :)

International rules from the post on page #2 of this thread:

"With the approval of the operator, portable electronic devices may contain lithium ion batteries exceeding 100 Wh, but not exceeding 160 Wh and no more than two individually protected lithium ion batteries each exceeding 100 Wh, but not exceeding 160 Wh, may be carried per person as spare batteries in carry-on baggage".

Translation: Airline "might" allow max 160 WH each, max 320 WH total of 2 batteries.

This is a minor variation from domestic US FAA rules, where they allow same 2*160WH but without the airline approval.

Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply friends!

Would it be possible then to just bring the body of the bike and get a new battery in the USA? Or do electric bikes need specific batteries made to fit them?

Thanks again for humouring a newbie!

Yes, batteries are often different from bike to bike. Voltage, shape, connectors.
You are buying a used ebike - its battery isn't worth much, unless they've replaced it recently.

You can purchase the same battery anywhere in the world.

So for sure if I left the original battery in Israel and moved back to the USA (nyc), I could buy a new battery for the bike? Sorry I just want to be super sure, it won't be worth it for me to buy the bike if I have to do that.

Thanks!!

If it won't be worth it for you to buy a bike (leaving the original battery behind), then there is nothing to worry about :), don't buy....

If it's a big ebike brand marketed in the US, then you will find it at dealers. If it's not - then it's hard to tell. The problem is the enclosure and how it's mounted to the bike - many different types. Some are more common, available both at dealers and on aftermarket, some need a little DIY work to make it fit, and some are unique. Also, the contacts - on the battery and the corresponding plug mounted on the frame.

In the end, unless you're getting this used bike really, really cheap - forget about it. US market is full of ebikes, from $300 unknown Chinese model to super-expensive bikes.

Last edited:
So for sure if I left the original battery in Israel and moved back to the USA (nyc), I could buy a new battery for the bike? Sorry I just want to be super sure, it won't be worth it for me to buy the bike if I have to do that.

Thanks!!
As long as the batterynisn't a proprietary and a standard case Shark, dolphin, etc...

Few weeks ago somebody wanted to buy an aftermarket battery at Aliexpress and mount it on Pedego (I think). Pedego is a very generic ebike, speaking of battery mounting. This one was on the rear rack, which is one of the easiest places to mount. I won't discuss weight balancing issues, my preference would be - on downtube, but this is a separate question.

The dealer commented against the aftermarket battery - i.e. not entirely impossible but a lot of work and uncertain results. His arguments made a lot of sense, despite the obvious interest in selling his brand. As I recall, the problems he mentioned were - size of enclosure, type and location of the frame plug and the rails that the battery slides on.

Last edited:
I wonder if there will be a special certification one day that will allow for airline travel. So if the battery passes all of these tests you can travel with it. That sure would be nice.

Although at the same time I think it will become easier to rent batteries as ebikes become more commonplace. This is one of the draws to buying a Bosch powered bikes. If you wanted to travel with it there are many places you could rent a battery from.

One would think that proprietary battery like Bosch would make it more difficult to source, upon landing :)
Not to mention high cost of this brand. Rental businesses tend to stock on durable, yet inexpensive items, "one size fit all" philosophy.

Though this is all speculation, at this point in time. We'll be lucky to see ( in our lifetime) a wide network of charging stations.

We've rented Bosch batteries to Europeans visiting from overseas a couple of times. I imagine that sort of interaction might increase over time.

With a traditional touring bike, I used to ship my bike (with loaded panniers) either via passenger plane or UPS to the starting point of my tour.
at the risk of being redundant. . .
So if you can't ship your ebike-with batteries
via the airlines & you can't ship your bike with batteries via UPS. . .
Can & How does one ship their bike with batteries (without shipping bike only & purchasing batteries at the starting point) ?

That's a good question and hopefully this will help:

So it's pretty clear that if you are traveling internationally 100Wh is your limit per battery pack so this rules out the ability to travel with your electric bicycle by air with the battery. As mentioned in earlier posts you can ship your bike alone and hopefully your destination offers a rental program.

If your destination does not offer a battery rental program then you are pretty much stuck with 2 options:

1. You battery will need to be shipped separately in advance typically by a courier company who can handle DG shipments (FedEx, UPS etc...). Not the kicker here is they will not accept DG shipments from individuals who are not DG certified, who have not packed the battery per ICAO air standards. So the only option is to contact you local UPS or FedEx office and ask them if they can recommend a 3rd party DG packing company who will prepare and handle the shipment for you. Now keep in mind that you will also need to ensure you have the same service available on the return trip or else you won't be able to ship your battery back. Now the disadvantage to this is going to be the costs $$$. When all said and done between shipping costs and packing costs will likely come very close to the actual price of a new battery.
  2. Rent a bike in Europe albeit the wattage and max speed will be less than in NA. This would be the easiest and certainly one of the most cost effective but would require that pick up and drop off locations be the same.
hope this helps,

William
shop.scooteretti.com

With a traditional touring bike, I used to ship my bike (with loaded panniers) either via passenger plane or UPS to the starting point of my tour.
at the risk of being redundant. . .
So if you can't ship your ebike-with batteries
via the airlines & you can't ship your bike with batteries via UPS. . .
Can & How does one ship their bike with batteries (without shipping bike only & purchasing batteries at the starting point) ?
You can easily ship the bike or the battery via ground shipping, but if you want to ship it air it needs to go on a cargo only aircraft and it can be a bit expensive.

All,

When shipping batteries by air or ground the shipper MUST be DG trained and that all packages be packed and labeled in full compliance. Air shipping is much more strict than ground shipments but both must methods require that they be labeled and packed correctly by a trained DG shipper. The laws apply to shippers in both Canada and the US.

Failure to comply can lead to fines and criminal charges if an incident were to occur. This is now becoming a very serious offense so do not try and cheat the system as it's becoming very clear that they are cracking down of those who break the rules. Trying to ship product cross border is the perfect way to get caught and heavily fined.

For us when a customer purchases a bike or battery online it's passed over to one of our trained DG experts who pack and complete the proper paperwork for the shipment. Once they sign off on the shipment the employee & Scooteretti now become legally responsible for the proper declaration of the packages contents.

We are a huge advocate of shipping lithium batteries and products containing lithium batteries. We are now working in conjunction with various DOT departments in a proactive way to help the industry learn about the safe handling of these items. Our goal is to be proactive in preventing any possible accidents caused by these products.

regards,

William
shop.scooteretti.com

Back