Fitting an Sram derailleur to a Vado 4

bellandbottle

Region
United Kingdom
Hello folks, I have just joined the group as I bought a Turbo Vado 4 (2019) last week (in the UK).

My hands are a bit arthritic, and I would like to change to an Sram twist grip gear changer. I reckon that I will need to change the derailleur to a GX or NX 11 speed to match the twist grip. I did this on my non ebike hybrid a couple of years ago.

I am concerned that the cable length might be a bit different and I don't fancy trying to replace the cable outer as it runs in the frame.

Has anyone here changed to Sram? If so, I would appreciate some feedback.

Last edited:
I have done the conversion on 2 Norco fat bikes (external routing) and a carbon Stumpjumper (internal routing). You might get lucky on the Vado and have enough casing to get away with just replacing the inner cable. It can be done.....

Many thanks for the encouragement Jimbo - really appreciated. I will talk the whole thing over with my LBS, where I bought the bike with a good deal, to make sure I have taken everything into account (like the cassette etc) . When I did my other bike, I did order an new inner cable just in case and, if I go ahead, will do so again.

I will post back in any case.

Hello folks, I have just joined the group as I bought a Turbo Vado 4 (2019) last week (in the UK).

My hands are a bit arthritic, and I would like to change to an Sram twist grip gear changer. I reckon that I will need to change the derailleur to a GX or NX 11 speed to match the twist grip. I did this on my non ebike hybrid a couple of years ago.

I am concerned that the cable length might be a bit different and I don't fancy trying to replace the cable outer as it runs in the frame.

Has anyone here changed to Sram? If so, I would appreciate some feedback.
What you are speaking of is very simple : It's more then likely the cable will be fine. If you need to install a New cable : Fish it thru the frame using the existing cable. Similar to how an electrician would fish wire thru an existing wall that was dry walled already.

More then likely this won't even be an Issue as you won't need another cable. IF YOU DO: There are several You-tube Videos on How to Thread New Cable thru Bike Frames.

I am off to see the LBS tomorrow after having a discussion on the phone - there may be a different solution, but I won't know till then.

Just to update everyone, and sign off for the moment. It was news to me that Sram make Shimano compatible shifter versions of some of their components (NX in this case) and the LBS had a twist grip in stock. They fitted it for me - no charge, which is outstanding I think.

Thank you all for your ideas and encouragement!

Back