First round of motors with Archon controller going out this week!

I don’t think we have the bandwidth to go beyond the 2 options at the moment.

We will look out for more options but probably Not the primary focus in the short run.
I think this is a reasonable and transparent response. Of course there are a lot of options that are out there offering loads of cool features. But we also have to realize that at the current stage of Watt Wagons business, they are a boutique builder trying to offer R&M level quality with a much more powerful motor at a much more attractive price point.

Given that they are providing some cool features albeit maybe not in the ideal form, is still leaps and bounds better than other bike companies that use Bafang Ultra including Sondors which is a much bigger company.

@pushkar is trying to address the key inherent issues with the motor and tackling these in a prioritized manner. I think we all need to be a bit more patient and trust that he will resolve more and more of customer concerns in future iterations.

Let me try to summarize and organize what several of the folks are trying to call out. I believe what they are asking for is having a dedicated display that is not limited by Bafang DPC-18's constraints.

Some known Bafang display constraints are:
  • Motor output meter only goes up to 1000W, for example, wouldn't be able to display 2300W motor output beyond 1000W
  • Doesn't have bluetooth connectivity for easier configurability
  • Doesn't support custom software, so cannot include some upcoming features like rider profiles
Pushkar - But WW offers the Egg Rider with custom firmware.
  • Customer - The problem with that is, the display is too small and hard to read.
Pushkar - But once the phone app is released, you can have a large display in your phone with the full features that WW offers.
  • Customer - Why do I have to put my own expensive phone at risk because the bike doesn't come with a dedicated display that supports the full feature?
So, in summary, I believe what's being asked for is a larger custom dedicated display that supports all upcoming software features....At least I think I'm interpreting it correctly. ;)

Yes a fancy top of the line Ebike, needs a fancy top of the line display to go with it, and then I don't have to bring out my cell phone, it free's up another spot on my handles for something else or any worry about my expensive iphone getting wrecked if I go over, some don't want it, and that is fine, if they are good with a minimalist skinny functional display, but a better screen could be an optional upgrade beyond the standard one that comes as stock

Like this Bosch unit
Bosch-eBike-Nyon-Tour-MY2021-EN-90d5804-scaled.jpg

NEW BOSCH NYON

Of coarse I don't think you can make the Bosch one work with the Bafang as another poster mentioned, but the functionality of that display is awesome when you see everything it can do.

There are a bunch of displays in the works behind the scenes. The issue is that most of these displays don’t allow us to load our firmware. There’s actually a gorgeous touch screen version of a display we looked at but doesn’t do CAN. So long term compatibility is an issue. It also doesn’t do Bluetooth so very limited.

You are right - we would like a high end feel for the bike. At the moment though, we are limited by underlying hardware and the flexibility to put our firmware on it.

If you guys have seen options other than King meter version that everyone uses, something that does both UART and CAN, we can look into that.

Pushkar, will there be a power source plug on the handlebar so we can plug in our phones?

Even though I have cell phone mounts on the handlebar on all three of my bikes I don't like having my phone on all the time, as it uses up too much battery on a long ride.
I like the size of the larger Bafang display and would pick it in a second over the much smaller Egg rider display, but I'll begrudgingly go with the Egg Rider because I want the Bluetooth connectivity.

Just a note that I use an EggRider today with my phone mounted to the handlebars. I like this setup because I also use apps like RideWithGPS. Having a large dedicated but limited display for the bike just cluttered things up, so I removed it.

Pushkar, will there be a power source plug on the handlebar so we can plug in our phones?

Even though I have cell phone mounts on the handlebar on all three of my bikes I don't like having my phone on all the time, as it uses up too much battery on a long ride.
I like the size of the larger Bafang display and would pick it in a second over the much smaller Egg rider display, but I'll begrudgingly go with the Egg Rider because I want the Bluetooth connectivity.
The DPC 18 has a power source. The SW 102 does not at the moment.

But hmm. Great question. I think I know how to make that happen. We are wiring supernova directly to the battery so we actually have the BAFANG light output available! May be add a USB output to it ?

The DPC 18 has a power source. The SW 102 does not at the moment.

But hmm. Great question. I think I know how to make that happen. We are wiring supernova directly to the battery so we actually have the BAFANG light output available! May be add a USB output to it ?
[/QUOTEI have found a USB to be useful .. so yes for me!

I was originally thinking about buying a relatviely inexpensive waterproof / rugged phone like this to serve as a dedicated display. I wouldn't actually use it as my cell phone so I could attach it permanently.

I'm not sure it would be that practical though. Sounds like the SW102 can't provide power I would need to find a way to charge it. Also, I'd have to turn on the display separately which would be a hassle. Good to hear you are working on a dedicated display pushkar as I think that's better than the alternatives such as this.

I do not really see the problem with using a different display to program and the DPC 18 for riding tbh.
My personal preferance would just be a usb lead to connect a laptop for programming etc.
I like the DPC 18 and I guess the only function that may be effected on the 2300watt version is the Power display as it only goes up to 1500 watt's,
but not sure how much of a problem you will find this? I do not think it would bother me that much, but it is a non issue on the 1000 watt version like mine.

I like the idea of chain testing suggested by Johnny a few comments up.

But back on the subject of the first batch of motors going out, nice one I can not wait to read some other peoples feedback and opinions, I kinda predict that they are going to be positive.

If we purchased the Archon to upgrade an existing non-WW bike, then is there a way to purchase a future bike and transition the controller over? I'm waiting for the bike coming out this October but would love to play with the Archon ahead of time. I just don't want to purchase it twice...

I am sorry - not sure I quite understand the question. When you say you want to use the controller right now, can you please tell me more what you want to do ?

I am sorry - not sure I quite understand the question. When you say you want to use the controller right now, can you please tell me more what you want to do ?
I think what he means is can he buy the motor with Archon controller now and put it on his current bike and then receive the delivery of the new UC Pro in October without the motor, so that he can swap it out later.

I have the same Bafang motor in my Biktrix bike. I want to swap out the controller until the new WW bike is available. When I get the new WW bike, I'll put the stock controller back into the Biktrix and use the Archon in the WW.

I have the same Bafang motor in my Biktrix bike. I want to swap out the controller until the new WW bike is available. When I get the new WW bike, I'll put the stock controller back into the Biktrix and use the Archon in the WW.
I don't think you can install the controller yourself. The process is you send the stock motor in to WW, they inspect the motor and if it passes, they will swap the controller out and send it back to you. They do not sell the controller separately.

I can do an advance replacement if you are getting the controller upgrade on your other motors as well.
I have done this for a couple of customers already.

Back