First round of motors with Archon controller going out this week!

My point is other smaller independents have developed/upgraded them too, for example.

fetch
That's not a custom developed display. It's one of the display models Bafang offers that just has the 'Luna' imbedded in the software. :rolleyes:

Anyways.......I am sure Pushkar will come up with something that meets the needs of all his customers, I would even settle for the stock Bafang version, my Sondors has a similar one and I like it.

My point is other smaller independents have developed/upgraded them too, for example.

fetch
You should be able to use that display as well for the time being (UART compatible). However once BAFANG updates their motors, those won’t work or will have to be re-developed.
In any case, standard display works. Our display will be needed if you want to use our app, and have profiles, Bluetooth upgrade feature etc.

That is a shame on the egg rider. I have one and I find it unreadable when moving. The programmability is nice, but I now use it to tweak settings and go back to larger displays.

That is a shame on the egg rider. I have one and I find it unreadable when moving. The programmability is nice, but I now use it to tweak settings and go back to larger displays.
I believe the plan is to offer a custom phone application that connects to the controller, so that you can use your phone as the display for expanded features.

The benefit of that is when new features are available, you don't have to replace the display hardware. Instead, it will just be updating the software.

That could work ok if there is a charger up there. Otherwise I find that on long trips with display on just so I can see speed the phone drags down quickly.

the EggRider has that now.I tried the phone and still elected to go back to a Bafang display.

That could work ok if there is a charger up there. Otherwise I find that on long trips with display on just so I can see speed the phone drags down quickly.

the EggRider has that now.I tried the phone and still elected to go back to a Bafang display.

You will have the standard DPC 18 color display that comes with the bike. That works well. So you are covered. 👍

it will ship with DPC 18.

You can purchase our custom ‘display that will enable users to have your phone as the primary console.

Here is a peek at our test rig - we pretty much run at 1.5 times the full load, and run the motor at 2300W for 15 minutes.
We are using the kindernay hub - so doing 2 tests in 1 setup :)
The one thing we will change is that rear sprocket for kindernay needs to be higher than 16T. The chain is just too close .. so pick 17 or even 18 to get better clearance.

First set of motors going out this week. @tomdav We have one with your name on it!

Please note - the controller software and harness will follow early August. However your motor controller is activated, and you will get an email /password on email once the harness and software ships. (I will add that to the FAQs, but wanted to highlight here as well.

Have you measured chain stretch ? I think it would be great if you also test chains under different power outputs you would get lots of views for a test like that.

Have you measured chain stretch ? I think it would be great if you also test chains under different power outputs you would get lots of views for a test like that.
Good idea. May be the next time we switch to a new chain.

Here is a peek at our test rig - we pretty much run at 1.5 times the full load, and run the motor at 2300W for 15 minutes.
We are using the kindernay hub - so doing 2 tests in 1 setup :)
The one thing we will change is that rear sprocket for kindernay needs to be higher than 16T. The chain is just too close .. so pick 17 or even 18 to get better clearance.

First set of motors going out this week. @tomdav We have one with your name on it!

Please note - the controller software and harness will follow early August. However your motor controller is activated, and you will get an email /password on email once the harness and software ships. (I will add that to the FAQs, but wanted to highlight here as well.

I had a closer look at the video, when you talk about a home grown a business, you ain't kidding your R & D is in your personal back yard.

Anyways.......I am sure Pushkar will come up with something that meets the needs of all his customers, I would even settle for the stock Bafang version, my Sondors has a similar one and I like it.
+1 on standard nice big screen. No way I'm using my super expensive cell phone as primary display for my ebike.

Ok. I’m confused. I’m not sure what problem we are trying to solve.
1. The current full color DPC 18 that works with the new controller

2. We are providing an alternative minimal display which will supports more functionality in the future.

Curious - Why do we need a third option ? What specifically are we trying to solve for ?

2. We are providing an alternative minimal display which will supports more functionality in the future.

Curious - Why do we need a third option ? What specifically are we trying to solve for ?
I would say more functionality on a big beautiful screen, not a minimalist screen. For example, I would not want a minimalist TV (45 inch) for my living room. I just dislike the idea of having to use an expensive cell phone (or tiny screen) to get more functionality. I think the market will push all premium ebike makes for screens that are readable in varied conditions, colourful and impressive.

(Not to mention that most old timers who buy expensive e-bikes have a hard time reading minalmist displays :))

Let me try to summarize and organize what several of the folks are trying to call out. I believe what they are asking for is having a dedicated display that is not limited by Bafang DPC-18's constraints.

Some known Bafang display constraints are:
  • Motor output meter only goes up to 1000W, for example, wouldn't be able to display 2300W motor output beyond 1000W
  • Doesn't have bluetooth connectivity for easier configurability
  • Doesn't support custom software, so cannot include some upcoming features like rider profiles
Pushkar - But WW offers the Egg Rider with custom firmware.
  • Customer - The problem with that is, the display is too small and hard to read.
Pushkar - But once the phone app is released, you can have a large display in your phone with the full features that WW offers.
  • Customer - Why do I have to put my own expensive phone at risk because the bike doesn't come with a dedicated display that supports the full feature?
So, in summary, I believe what's being asked for is a larger custom dedicated display that supports all upcoming software features....At least I think I'm interpreting it correctly. ;)

Last edited:
Let me try to summarize and organize what several of the folks are trying to call out. I believe what they are asking for is having a dedicated display that is not limited by Bafang DPC-18's constraints.

Some known Bafang display constraints are:
  • Motor output meter only goes up to 1000W, for example, wouldn't be able to display 2300W motor output beyond 1000W
  • Doesn't have bluetooth connectivity for easier configurability
  • Doesn't support custom software, so cannot include some upcoming features like rider profiles
Pushkar - But WW offers the Egg Rider with custom display.
  • Customer - The problem with that is, the display is too small and hard to read.
Pushkar - But once the phone app is release, you can have a large display in your phone with the full features that WW offers.
  • Customer - Why do I have to put my own expensive phone at risk because the bike doesn't come with a dedicated display that supports the full feature?
So, in summary, I believe what's being asked for is a larger custom dedicated display that supports all upcoming software features....At least I think I'm interpreting it correctly. ;)
That would be cool, but I am fine with the large -18 for daily use. The EggRider for updating is fine. Sure it would be great if it all happened in one, but I don’t see Pushkar being of a scale to be doing that at this time.
My only problem was with the EggRider by itself. It is too small for me to read

I don’t think we have the bandwidth to go beyond the 2 options at the moment.

We will look out for more options but probably Not the primary focus in the short run.

Back