First ride with the Archon X1 upgrade!

That was earlier, I may be dumb enough to clown pedal while going 40 mph but smart enough to not hold a phone while doing it. 😅

BTW, that's 25mph up a 10 degree hill. Note the green going from 500W to 1500W+ after putting it in PAS 5. I was pedaling but I wasn't putting in much effort.

Reactions: Ayl
That was earlier, I may be dumb enough to clown pedal while going 40 mph but smart enough to not hold a phone while doing it. 😅

BTW, that's 25mph up a 10 degree hill. Note the green going from 500W to 1500W+ after putting it in PAS 5. I was pedaling but I wasn't putting in much effort.
Ah...good thinking. It does get pretty hairy when you hit 30+ mph. I sometimes hit 35moh on a steep decline on the road. I do get anxious even with both hands especially with the skinning road bike wheels and tires.

I’ve been thinking about buying one of those action cams that you can mount to your helmet or chest. There’s some decent non-GoPro 4K cams for less than $100 on Amazon. You may want to think about investing in one if you plan on taking more videos on your bike.

Reactions: Ayl
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get your superbike. My CC doesn't feel scary at all going 30+ mph. I think the weight and 2.4" tires help. The full suspension probably helps too but when I lock out the rear shock it still feels stable so I think the superbike will ride similarly. It can lull you to a false sense of reality like a mermaid's lullaby.

Yeah good point on the tires. UC Pro comes with 2.4”. Is CC 2.8”?
I believe Tom's Supermoto X tires are 2.4 width. I think all CC's come equipped with 2.4 unless you specifiy otherwise. The Supermoto's on my HT1000 are 2.8 and, frankly, they feel a little bulky. I don't remember Frey giving me the option to choose between the 2.4 and the 2.8. Even if they had, I'm not sure I would have been able to choose wisely. If I had it to do again I probably would have opted for the 2.4 width which just seem more nimble for road conditions. My tires feel a little too wide and heavy.

I hate to be THAT guy, but, for those of you with the new controller installed are you seeing a higher top speed or just better overall smoothness and efficiency? I can currently get up to mid-30's on the stock controller. I'm currently weighing my options. I'm using the stock controller but I did use the programming software to make it more ideal for commuting purposes. The X1 controller is costly, I don't want to lose my headlight and taillight functionality, and it also sounds like the display will not show the correct data until Wattwagon comes out with their own. If I get the 2000W controller with display, I'm already 1/3 of the way to just buying a CommuterPro when it comes out.

I hate to be THAT guy, but, for those of you with the new controller installed are you seeing a higher top speed or just better overall smoothness and efficiency? I can currently get up to mid-30's on the stock controller.

Kinda of both. You basically get to the top speed much much quicker.

The X1 controller is costly, I don't want to lose my headlight and taillight functionality, and it also sounds like the display will not show the correct data until Wattwagon comes out with their own. If I get the 2000W controller with display, I'm already 1/3 of the way to just buying a CommuterPro when it comes out.
Honestly the Bafang light output is only 6W ... its not like you are losing out on anything big. My biggest issue was brake operated lights, but looks like WW will provide Supernova for the UC Pro that has the entire system.

What I like about WW / Pushcar is they are transparent upfront, and offer options / alternatives (at a price of course).

I hate to be THAT guy, but, for those of you with the new controller installed are you seeing a higher top speed or just better overall smoothness and efficiency? I can currently get up to mid-30's on the stock controller. I'm currently weighing my options. I'm using the stock controller but I did use the programming software to make it more ideal for commuting purposes. The X1 controller is costly, I don't want to lose my headlight and taillight functionality, and it also sounds like the display will not show the correct data until Wattwagon comes out with their own. If I get the 2000W controller with display, I'm already 1/3 of the way to just buying a CommuterPro when it comes out.
Where did you get your settings from to program your bike with the software did you get off YouTube?

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get your superbike. My CC doesn't feel scary at all going 30+ mph. I think the weight and 2.4" tires help. The full suspension probably helps too but when I lock out the rear shock it still feels stable so I think the superbike will ride similarly. It can lull you to a false sense of reality like a mermaid's lullaby.

LOL I know what you mean, I often dont relise the speed I am going. Grippy tryes 160mm of suspension, and the security of a decent set of brakes. It sort of feels like you are going slower than you actually are.

Just having fun today... Earlier I put it in PAS 5 and hit 40 pedaling on flats with minor downhill. Edit: to clarify I didn't take a video of that.

This was on my ride home heading up a ~10 degree hill. So smooth (and effortless if desired):

It sound less noisy than the stock version, is there a noise reduction ?

It's hard to capture noise on a phone. I would say similar noise as stock under continuous load, just smoother delivery. The controller itself doesn't make any noise so it's more the motor characteristics. When not under load I would say it's quieter in some regards (kicking out more often on flats and downhill sections when pedaling is easy and motor is not needed), and noisier in other ways (more frequently kicking in and out as opposed to on more often than not)

Should be fixed now, I hate youtube some times. Doesn't want to save changes in setting on some screens.

@Ayl @TomD any other updates or takeaways on the controller? Let me know.
I have a few other folks going crazy about it already. lol. Waiting for their reviews as well.

@pushkar, My left crank arm ended up defunct. I stripped out the receptor where the pedal attaches to the crank arm. Fortunately the pedal threads are still good and my replacement crank arms are arriving this Friday so I can finally do a long ride and compose a written review.

From the rides I have taken I can say this about the controller.
  • I was concerned that 2300 Watts would be too much juice having gotten use to the previous motor at 750 Watts. The new controller has a quick but smooth ramp up that on my first trip around the block I realized my concerns with extra power on this controller were unfounded.
  • I'd say it took me about an hour ebiking around the neighborhood and I got used to the new controller.
  • I feel like this new controller is the perfect match for the frame and components on my Ultimate Commuter. In hindsight, 750 Watts just isn't doing the UC any justice.
In closing, if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer. Also, if this kind of controller was available for a BBSHD, I think you'd grab the lion's share of that market.

Back