First ride with the Archon X1 upgrade!

It is really great at 750W nominal / 1100W peak. Very responsive. You can go up to 1000W nominal like the ultra but not beyond it. That should be plenty for most people and will make for an excellent bike.
Thanks! If it's 1000W nominal, what would be peak?

I'm curious as to how you guys use your bikes with the Archon Ultra Motor? Is it mainly for getting from point A to B as easiest possible? Or do some of you use your Archon Ultra motor bikes primarily for exercise?

I'm trying to gauge whether the new UC Pro will provide the same level of exercise that I'm getting from my current class 1 Bosch motor (Performance Line Gen 2 - 250W nominal) ebike since everyone is reporting a boost in power at each PAS level. I currently almost never go beyond the Eco setting and usually only on inclines, but the bike is only 41 lbs. An yes, I am aware that I can always turn the motor off and get 75 lbs worth of exercise. :)
ha ha.. good point. I am close to where I was earlier. Just that i can get it done in PAS 2 instead of PAS 4 ...

With the stock 1000W controller I got reasonable exercise, still nothing like I could on PAS1 on a 250W nominal motor. You can always tune the Archon X1 down to 750W if you want. Even at 2300W I supect you could theoretically program your PAS to be whatever you want, once the programming cable is available. Similarly with multiple profiles (legal, off road).

It seems almost everybody is riding in PAS 1 & 2 because it gets the job done, anybody ride in PAS 5 yet?

Let's say you know your making a short trip lets say 20 miles return so 10 each way and you don't have to worry about conserving the battery.

Since my throttle isn't working I use PAS 5 as my fallback in traffic. Works about the same.

I'm curious as to how you guys use your bikes with the Archon Ultra Motor? Is it mainly for getting from point A to B as easiest possible? Or do some of you use your Archon Ultra motor bikes primarily for exercise?

I'm trying to gauge whether the new UC Pro will provide the same level of exercise that I'm getting from my current class 1 Bosch motor (Performance Line Gen 2 - 250W nominal) ebike since everyone is reporting a boost in power at each PAS level. I currently almost never go beyond the Eco setting and usually only on inclines, but the bike is only 41 lbs. An yes, I am aware that I can always turn the motor off and get 75 lbs worth of exercise. :)

I use mine for commute and fun/fresh air. Both on road and in the woods.
Off road it certainly is good exercise but for more for the whole body rather than just the legs the extra weight probably makes this more taxing,
On the 1000 Watt version Pas 1 is not that overpowered, you feel like you are providing most of the power, but have not ridden the Bosch motor that you have, so I can not compare. Anything Pas 2 or above is more powerful than any 250 Watt motor I have ever tried tho, not even in the same ball park.
Also with a main brand motor you are getting more exercise when you reach its top speed limit,
in the UK this is 15.5 mph which to be honest 50% of the time I will be exceeding so not getting any motor assistance at all, but you can set a top speed cut off on the display.

I'm guessing when Pushkar releases the programming aps etc you will be able to tailor the lowest setting to your hearts desire.

I'm guessing when Pushkar releases the programming aps etc you will be able to tailor the lowest setting to your hearts desire.

Yeah.. you can set the level of assist at different PAS levels.

on the 2300W version, I configure it to 60% assist for PAS 1-5

On the 1000W version bike, I configure it to 80% assist for PAS 1-5.

What happened to your throttle ?

It stopped working before I installed the Archon X1 upgrade. Seems to be a short in the harness as I can get it to work if I press around where the arrow is indicated. I think FREY might have wrapped it too tight and/or the constant bending of the harness and wires when the wheel is turned while parked took a toll. I am looking forward to the day when this stuff is wireless and it doesn't involve a major project to replace internally routed wires.

1594880469625-png.59061

It seems almost everybody is riding in PAS 1 & 2 because it gets the job done, anybody ride in PAS 5 yet?

Let's say you know your making a short trip lets say 20 miles return so 10 each way and you don't have to worry about conserving the battery.

I may never get to PAS 5. Today, I did PAS 3, ECO mode, in gear 10 and had no problem getting to 30 MPH on a flat stretch and going uphill at 20+ MPH on slight grades. When I want to get some exercise I have to drop into a low gear and spin my legs off and I can still do 15+ MPH. Its nice knowing that the UCP can take me anywhere I need to get to and back and I get to decide how hard I want to work. If your trip doesn’t trigger any range anxiety, I have no doubt that PAS 5 will thrill. If you’re still undecided, get the upgrade, you’ll love it!

Yes my first test was at PAS 5, and it did over 25 miles easily, It is great fun. You may even get away with throttle only for shorter trips,
I have a modest 728 watt hr 48 volts battery, so I have not as big a capacity as some of these guys are running. And Enduro knobbly tyres will also be causing me drag.

@AdilDesai, the total weight of my Ultimate Commuter with loaded panniers is around 80 lbs.
The dry weight of a UC is at 65 lbs. Throw in an extra 52v 17.5 ah battery by EM3ev, and it's and additional 10.36 lbs. Add in my panniers containing equipment and two thirty ounce Hydro Flasks full of water and it's another 5 lbs. Also, I weigh in at 244 lbs.
These are some amazing results then! @pushkar [using my best Samuel L Jackson voice imitating Frozone from The Incredibles]: "Where is my Superbike? [A distant "what?"] I said where is my Superbike????

With the stock 1000W controller I got reasonable exercise, still nothing like I could on PAS1 on a 250W nominal motor. You can always tune the Archon X1 down to 750W if you want. Even at 2300W I supect you could theoretically program your PAS to be whatever you want, once the programming cable is available. Similarly with multiple profiles (legal, off road).
Is this true? Let me rephrase, as I'm not doubting you @TomD. As a Superbike founders series owner, I'll be getting the 2300W motor. I've always envisioned detuning to 750W as I learn (this will be my first e-bike). So, you're saying that I can keep it tuned to peak power, but program the PAS levels to be less powerful?

What makes more sense? Lower motor output with standard PAS programming or peak power output with programmed PAS levels?

@pushkar, I think some explanation of how the configuration for the various power levels work is warranted. For example you mentioned setting 2300w at 60%. Why would I do that when I can just run at 1000w at 100%? Is it for that bit of extra power?

So if I do the math using 5 PAS levels, PAS 1 at 2300w would be 560w (20% of 2300) of nominal boost where as 750w at PAS 1 would be 150w (20% of 750) of nominal boost? This means that PAS 5 for 750w is near equivalent to PAS 1 on 2300w?

Just having fun today... Earlier I put it in PAS 5 and hit 40 pedaling on flats with minor downhill. Edit: to clarify I didn't take a video of that.

This was on my ride home heading up a ~10 degree hill. So smooth (and effortless if desired):

Last edited:
Back