First impressions - Juggernaut Ultra

I set the Ultra to Level 5 and came up our steep driveway using maximum throttle and no pedalling. The speed pegged at 8 km/hr and the motor pulled 1300 watts. I went up the hill a second time using Level 3 and a leisurely pedal pace. The speed was 11 km/hr and the motor was drawing between 400 and 600 watts. I don’t mind pedalling to help the motor so I won’t be using the throttle until I find a need.

Yesterday I was swinging my leg over the bike to stop when my left hand brushed the throttle. The bike lurched ahead but I couldn’t get my hand away from the throttle without taking my left hand off the handlebar which was a no-no. I used the brakes to slow to a stop. So today I wrapped electrical tape around the throttle to keep me from accidentally hitting the thumb throttle. I can imagine a day when the designers make the throttle a two-stage switch. That way you would need to press a button on the right side of the handlebar before you can press the throttle on the left. Otherwise the throttle would stay inactive.

Another safety point I mentioned earlier but needs repeating. There is a lag of about one second when the motor is still trying to help you pedal but you have stopped pedalling. The bike can go a long distance in one second. If you are turning at the same time, the speed from the motor lag forces you to turn much wider than you intended. There is an easy fix but it’s not very intuitive. If you backpedal even a little bit, the motor stops instantly. But backpedalling is the last thing you may think about as you careen toward your garage. Ask me how I know. Try it and you will see what I’m talking about.

I don’t know if the lag can be programmed out of the system but it would be a lot safer. Otherwise we all have to get used to backpedalling at the right time.

Use your brake levers. The electric cutout should trigger before actual braking is triggered, this will prevent throttle from activating, pedal assist, and also cut out power any time. This is the best way to ensure power stops (or is not delivered) in my experience

I had an Ultra upside down today so I snapped some photos of the fasteners at the bottom of the front fork where you attach the wire fender stays. You can see that on this bike one fastener is a normal metric cap screw. The other side is a stud that takes a nut. Very confusing if the bike is upright and you can’t see what you are dealing with. Hopefully in the future the factory will use two matching fasteners.

Attachments

• FenderCapScrew.jpg
    FenderCapScrew.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 760
  • FenderStud.jpg
    FenderStud.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 756
can anyone comment on how this bike is as a daily commuter on the streets? Too big and too much wind resistance? I am planning on just using torque sensing and going about 20-25mph on average. I will plan on buying chaoyang sand storm tires which are fat road tires.

I've only had a brief time with mine in an urban setting but no complaint other than the tire noise, which will be probably less with your tire choice.
It feels much lighter than I expected and the tires really cushion you from rough streets. Needless to say, the power is always there. I have no need for the throttle in town. Good luck !

We spent a bit of time on flat town streets. Never got out of level 1 or 2 assist and it was so easy to keep 15 km/hr pace. As TForan says, the fat tires smooth out all streets and gravel paths. The torque assist is great! We also appreciate being able to jump curbs or go thru deep potholes without worrying about spilling like happens with our non-E mountain bikes.

I do like that any road obstacles (potholes, curbs, etc) are no match for this bike lol. Good to know it feels lighter than it is! Thanks.

I've only had a brief time with mine in an urban setting but no complaint other than the tire noise, which will be probably less with your tire choice.
It feels much lighter than I expected and the tires really cushion you from rough streets. Needless to say, the power is always there. I have no need for the throttle in town. Good luck !
These are the tires I changed to on my Juggernaut.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

They are much smoother and quieter. These are good for hard surfaces or gravel, but probably not for offroad or snow (neither of which I do).

Roshan,

Fred has just very kindly introduced me to your company. I may have some more questions, but first, there is one big sticker - Do you ship to Norway?

I know there are some problems with shipping batteries - or at least used to be.

Cheers,

Tom

Roshan,

Fred has just very kindly introduced me to your company. I may have some more questions, but first, there is one big sticker - Do you ship to Norway?

I know there are some problems with shipping batteries - or at least used to be.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, we can ship to Norway! Email me at [email protected] and we can chat.

Thanks for the intro Fred!

Hi all, I'm very interested in the Juggernaut MX Ultra. Has anyone here ridden both this bike and a 28 mph Bosch pedelec? I'm interested in a comparison between the speed and feel of the two - and any other notes as well that are worth sharing. Has anyone gotten their Juggernaut MX Ultras over 30mph (not downhill)? Are any of you Juggernaut MX Ultra owners, by chance within a few hours of Olympia, Washington. If so, I'd love to try your bike! Thanks in advance for replies. - John

Hi all, I'm very interested in the Juggernaut MX Ultra. Has anyone here ridden both this bike and a 28 mph Bosch pedelec? I'm interested in a comparison between the speed and feel of the two - and any other notes as well that are worth sharing. Has anyone gotten their Juggernaut MX Ultras over 30mph (not downhill)? Are any of you Juggernaut MX Ultra owners, by chance within a few hours of Olympia, Washington. If so, I'd love to try your bike! Thanks in advance for replies. - John

I demoed a Trek Super Commuter and it was nice but not nearly the power of the Ultra. Not even close. I don't think I've hit 30 but I'm sure it would do it.

I demoed a Trek Super Commuter and it was nice but not nearly the power of the Ultra. Not even close. I don't think I've hit 30 but I'm sure it would do it.
Thanks Tforan! I actually demoed a Trek Super Commuter and loved it. I'm not quite up for spending $5k - and would like the throttle option. Front suspension would be nice too. By power, do you mean the Ultra would out-accelerate the Super Commuter, or out-climb it, or a whole bunch of both? Honestly, I'm having trouble imagining wanting to accelerate faster than the Super Commuter, but having more hill climbing power would be welcome. Does the 1 second lag for torque assist bother you at all on the Ultra, or do you just habituate to it after a while? Anything else worth mentioning about your Ultra experience as compared to the Super Commuter?

John
I can't really give a thorough review on the Trek because I only rode it a few miles but it seems like a nice bike for around town but on just a different level torque-wise compared to the Ultra. the power of the Biktrix , pretty much negates the need for the throttle. it also feels much lighter than the actual weight.

Last edited:
John
I can't really give a thorough review on the Trek because I only rode it a few miles but it seems like a nice bike for around town but on just a different level torque-wise compared to the Ultra. the power of the Biktrik , pretty much negates the need for the throttle. it also feels much lighter than the actual weight.
Thanks again for the info Tforan. Very helpful.

I'm also wondering if anyone's had issues with gear mashing while shifting on the Ultra - or is it smooth and easy?

I'm also wondering if anyone's had issues with gear mashing while shifting on the Ultra - or is it smooth and easy?
We have no gear mashing at all, in any situation. Of course, we're used to standard mountain bikes and pull back slightly on the pedals while shifting, but not by much.

Back