First eBike for around $2K for 12mi roundtrip NYC Commute (Bulls Cross E8 vs IZIP E3 Moda vs Trek Verve vs Aventon Pace 500)

garmemo

My Situation:
I live in NYC and my commute has changed from 2 miles to 12 miles roundtrip. Since I don’t want to arrive sweating at work, I’ve decided to get an eBike commuter-style that is good for a stop-and-go commute on NYC bad paved roads. Key things to note:
  • Budget: ~$2K
  • 5’9 height and 160 lbs on very good shape
  • Only have one step of stairs to carry bike
  • Prefer slightly a more comfortable position since the commute is longer despite my current bike being a hybrid
  • I like 28mph speed but i am okay with 20mph if deal is right.
  • Prefer mid-drive since my commute is stop and go and need to navigate through traffic

From my research, I’ve found good deals on:

1. Bulls Cross E8 2018 for $1900
2. Cross Current S for $1700 <---rear hub engine so not ideal but well priced.
3. Trek Verve 2018 for $2100
4. IZIP 2018 E3 Moda for $2250 <—think it’s the best
5. Aventon Pace 500 for $1400 <--seems the best deal

What would you experts decide on? I don’t know if I should spend on the higher side of budget ~$2.5K on a good bike that will last or on the lower side ~$1.5K. Naturally I prefer less but if it will cost me more in the long run, then I’d invest a little more. But unsure if the extra investment of $1K is worth it or if I have to spend more than that to get a return.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm not sure I can be all that helpful, but am looking for an E-Bike for a similar situation. I am also really interested in the Izip E3 Moda, but can't actually find one. Do you have bike shops selling them, or were you going to buy online?

I had also been eyeing:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

although again, some of them seem pretty hard to find in the appropriate size.

Is not
My Situation:
I live in NYC and my commute has changed from 2 miles to 12 miles roundtrip. Since I don’t want to arrive sweating at work, I’ve decided to get an eBike commuter-style that is good for a stop-and-go commute on NYC bad paved roads. Key things to note:
  • Prefer slightly a more comfortable position since the commute is longer despite my current bike being a hybrid
  • Prefer mid-drive since my commute is stop and go and need to navigate through traffic

What would you experts decide on? I don’t know if I should spend on the higher side of budget ~$2.5K on a good bike that will last or on the lower side ~$1.5K. Naturally I prefer less but if it will cost me more in the long run, then I’d invest a little more. But unsure if the extra investment of $1K is worth it or if I have to spend more than that to get a return.

Is not the good deals , is about the local dealer and what type of warranty.
Fyi -is 45$/hour for labour to work on an ebike and parts also are not cheap.
“ Rear hub is not ideal”- well an mid drive will break much easier and heats up fast on hills.
I would go with the Bulls. Is it an online deal ? B/c i am also looking to get a Bulls online(from Carzzylenny) but in my case i know how to fix them and open them.

Thanks @Ebiker01

All of these deals are online. My local shop in NYC (PropelBikes) doesn't have good deals now unfortunately so would have to wait until November for them and frankly, not sure I can't wait until then cuz it means 6 months of sweating in my commute to work...or worse, taking the subway.

I was hoping that I could get a high-quality bike online that's been amply tested in market with manufacturer warranty and not have to worry about local dealer since the bike wouldn't break. Is this too naive to think?

Re Mid vs Rear, I don't particularly have any hills in my commute so I wasn't considering this as a factor. Why I am originally considering mid-drive ideal is because of the naturality of it and because there is a lot of traffic in my commute. The Rear drives I've tried have a push and I feat this would not be safe in NYC.

Yea , as a Ny’er i know the local ebike offerings are not much. I also checked Propel and yea no sales there. I went with a Bh Nitro city, 600wh, 500watt motor from Nyce wheels but unfortunately they closed down shop.
I would go with the Bulls allthough i think it has only a 500watt battery, but it has a 4amp charger which is fast. Bit is a hassle to keep plugging/unplugging.
Try to get one with at least 600watts , already the top ebike brands are pushing 700wh and higher from next year.
Trek has 2 stand alone dealerships in NYC , that may be the best option since you’r new with ebikes.
I’m sure even if you bought it online, since is a Trek they will work on it if needed.
Then Juiced has big battery but often people have different issues...
You can also check - Greenpath in Bayridge, Bk , they have ebikes in stores onsale also. Better offerings for your price range. That’s all we have here -2 e bike stores in the whole NYC !!

The Aventon is much cheaper b/c it has no Torque sensor (will respond slow when starting and in general) and drivetrain components are entry level.
It will ride fast but not great shifts , braking...
And later if you want to sell it , can only charge maybe a grand or less.
You’ll probably upgrade the bRakes, shifters, etc and end up spending close to 2k anyway...
With a Bulls or Trek , you get quality and can sell it later on at good price when is time for an ebike upgrade.

Battery Power is a big decision maker for you? How's your commute and your daily bike rides here in the city? Originally I wasn't thinking this since I am assuming I would be treating it like my cell phone and charge it everyday if possible.

On the Aventon, thanks for advice. I really didn't want to discard cheaper options perhaps to make myself feel better (and just between you and I, so I can tell my wife I evaluated it). But since I do want components to be quality for safety reasons, I am discarding it then.

Re Local Bike Shop, is it that important if I end up getting the high-quality Bulls? Do these bike shops provide free service if something happens that the Bike Manufacturer wouldn't be able to provide? I am not too worried about the non ebike components since I can service that myself..I am concerned about the engine parts. Also you mentioned that you can fix them..does it mean you can fix the electrical parts?

And thanks for the advice on Greenpath..I will def check them out this weekend!

Well if something happens, you need to find out what is the issue and local shop will NOT provide free service unless is bought from them...
I have a 6-10mile ride maybe another 5miles , so total about 15-20, but when the battery gets lowered then 40-30%, for any battery, the performance decreases and also is not that healthy for the battery to run it very low -under 25%.
So the bigger the pack is, the better in the long term.
Ps- yes i have exp. with ebikes, and then with batteries, you can not really opened them b/c then you loose the warranty. But the shops have the testing tools for whatever brands , only a dealer has those. That is for battery most of the times.
Sowith a dealer , they can say yea , is the battery , and they will contact the brand for a replacement.
They are very finicky, ebikes, that’s why go with a quality brand. Spend as much as you can afford . Is no fun getting stuck with a 60lb bike..
From my exp. i would also check BH ebikes, they have 5years warranty. But like i said i like Bulls now b/c they charge 2x faster.. 4amps vs 2amps. Or the Trek, has 2 E bike dealers (Chelsea and Hells Kitchen). But they only work on Trek bikes or ebikes...

@Ebiker01 Thanks for all this wealth of knowledge re your commute and battery considerations. Promise these are my last questions:

1. Local Bike Shop - I am heavily considering spending a bit more for a bike in the Local Bike Shop after consideration. Would you say with no knowledge of ebikes, is it best to get a bike from an LBS for $500 more than online? I can see many bikes online for about that price lower.

2. Trek Bikes - I rode it and they were okay...unsure about the price with the not so good components (Shimano Alivio 9 speed for example). It almost felt like I was paying more for the brand Trek than the bike itself..if you know what I mean? Or perhaps I am talking out of ignorance here.

3.BH - I will check them out and see if there are any local bike shops I can send.

@Ebiker01 Thanks for all this wealth of knowledge re your commute and battery considerations. Promise these are my last questions:

1. Local Bike Shop - I am heavily considering spending a bit more for a bike in the Local Bike Shop after consideration. Would you say with no knowledge of ebikes, is it best to get a bike from an LBS for $500 more than online? I can see many bikes online for about that price lower.

2. Trek Bikes - I rode it and they were okay...unsure about the price with the not so good components (Shimano Alivio 9 speed for example). It almost felt like I was paying more for the brand Trek than the bike itself..if you know what I mean? Or perhaps I am talking out of ignorance here.

3.BH - I will check them out and see if there are any local bike shops I can send.

1+3 = They carry and are a dealer for both Bulls and BH(Greenpath).
2- With not that great components that is not worth it.

Another option is to buy either a hi quality ebike online and also check with one of those 2 ebike stores what would be their charges- say for diagnostics . And tell them your plan and see what opinion you get.
The other one you had on the list, there is a higher end one the CCX , Juiced, that is a pretty good one too but may or may not give issues in the long term.l and there are no dealers for it.

My Situation:

Since your e-Bike will be your primary means of transportation to work, if you decide to purchase a bike sold exclusively on-line, prior
to placing your order, I'd contact various LBS in your area and ask if they will support aka work on the specific make and model you're going to purchase.

Support is a vague term, because some parts are generic and some are brand specific available only from the manufacturer. Trek is a done deal, service
and support excellent. I'm not familiar with the other brands so I can't comment.

that’s good advice from John, for commuters ask the shop if they’re prepared to give you a loaner ebike if you have yours in for warranty service? Pedego dealers are usually fairly good at this, another forum member reported her husband getting a loaner https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/loaner-bike-thank-you-pedego.24694/, I think Greenpath sell Pedego in NY. Probably helps if a shop does ebike rentals so would have a loaner fleet in various sizes with charged batteries.

Last edited:

I can't say which option is best, but I bought the Trek Verve+ a couple weeks ago and I really like it. You may pay a slight premium relative to other brands, but part of that is for the dealer support. I suspect the brand would have value in re-sale as well. The Moda is tempting too, but it's a bit heavier and I prefer the Class 1 e-bike. Part of that is hedging against laws/access and part is that I don't want/need to go 28 mph on my commute. The higher speed might be nice for longer rides in more open spaces, but I'm fine with what I have.

I have a 4.5 mile commute, downhill to work and uphill home. The Verve+ still requires some work on the climbs, but I love the way the Bosch motor feels. It's very natural except for some times at low speeds in Sport or Turbo mode. It makes so little noise that I almost never notice it.

You can't really go wrong. I'm sure you'd be happy with the iZip, Trek, or a Bulls bike. Just pick the one you feel best about and start riding.

The Aventon is much cheaper b/c it has no Torque sensor (will respond slow when starting and in general) and drivetrain components are entry level.
It will ride fast but not great shifts , braking...
And later if you want to sell it , can only charge maybe a grand or less.
You’ll probably upgrade the bRakes, shifters, etc and end up spending close to 2k anyway...
With a Bulls or Trek , you get quality and can sell it later on at good price when is time for an ebike upgrade.
Components are not entry level on the Aventon. The trek verve is the only model close to $2k, but above it, and the tires are lousy, especially for $2k bike, the brakes are no better, the motor is weaker, and won't go above 20 mph, the battery is smaller capacity and only 36volts, and way more expensive to replace. The Bosch motor is known only for slightly more efficiency, but that's offset by the small capacity battery. The bearing on drive side has known failing issues, and the small cog and torque at the crank will chew up chain and cassettes and derailleur cogs much faster than rear hub motor ever could. Ok, you might notice a more 'natural ' feel for pedaling but is that worth another $700 ? And would you want an ebike with no throttle , or one that hits a 'wall' at 20 mph? Maybe you don't need a full 28mph the Pace 500 can do, but it sure stinks hitting that wall at 20 mph on the Trek IMHO. And no you wont be upgrading the Tektro hydraulic disc brakes on the Aventon Pace 500, nor the Shimano Rapid shifter. The Trek has neglible performance difference on those components. Whether it's Bulls or trek you will be moving moving up to the $2800 to $3000 price point before you will see a discernable difference in component performance on the brakes, shifters, derailleurs, rims, cassettes, bottom brackets, etc.

Micah Toll has an excellent primer on all of this he came out with over at Electrek published April 18.

Aventon is a category disruptor for the value and performance it's delivering at the $1400 price point with its Pace 500. It's flying under the radar of most of its competition - for now .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mike. I overlooked the Aventon performance and stats. Given it’s performance for that 1.4k price, is easily the best deal around for a good enough 1st e bike.
Is that the price point for mainstream acceptance of ebikes in Us ?? It certainly seems like it.
2 or 3grand is a lot of $ for many people considering that in this present times in Us even many in the upper middle class are feeling the stimg, The inflation rates , taxes and other living expenses are always going UP , investments , savings and wages barely mitigate them.

Components are not entry level on the Aventon. The trek verve is the only model close to $2k, but above it, and the tires are lousy, especially for $2k bike, the brakes are no better, the motor is weaker, and won't go above 20 mph, the battery is smaller capacity and only 36volts, and way more expensive to replace. The Bosch motor is known only for slightly more efficiency, but that's offset by the small capacity battery. The bearing on drive side has known failing issues, and the small cog and torque at the crank will chew up chain and cassettes and derailleur cogs much faster than rear hub motor ever could. Ok, you might notice a more 'natural ' feel for pedaling but is that worth another $700 ? And would you want an ebike with no throttle , or one that hits a 'wall' at 20 mph? Maybe you don't need a full 28mph the Pace 500 can do, but it sure stinks hitting that wall at 20 mph on the Trek IMHO. And no you wont be upgrading the Tektro hydraulic disc brakes on the Aventon Pace 500, nor the Shimano Rapid shifter. The Trek has neglible performance difference on those components. Whether it's Bulls or trek you will be moving moving up to the $2800 to $3000 price point before you will see a discernable difference in component performance on the brakes, shifters, derailleurs, rims, cassettes, bottom brackets, etc.

Micah Toll has an excellent primer on all of this he came out with over at Electrek published April 18.

Aventon is a category disruptor for the value and performance it's delivering at the $1400 price point with its Pace 500. It's flying under the radar of most of its competition - for now .

Deleted Member 4210, You wrote...Referring to Trek "The bearing on drive side has known failing issues, and the small cog and torque at the crank will chew up chain and cassettes and
derailleur cogs much faster than rear hub motor ever could ".... I have and ride two Trek e Bikes, a commuter and a mtb. 4400 miles combined. No bearing failures. ( I don't power wash my bikes ) Chain wear is normal normal, cassettes and derailleur cogs are fine typical wear all original. My motors are a third and nearly double the torque of the Verve 40nm vs 63 and 75nm. Hopefully this is helpful.

Ps - there is a Trek Verve +, on OfferUp, for only $1500. Been there 6 months. Barely used per the seller. I sold one last summer for a customer - on consignment - as she likes a Magnum she bought a season later a whole lot more. Same 500 watt motor as on an Aventon and 48 volt Samsung battery. It was $400 less than the Verve.

I test rode a Magnum Metro before I bought the Verve+. If you want power, it's the pick over the Trek. But it is much heavier than the Trek and rides more like a pedal-activated moped. I didn't feel as in control as I do with mine. I don't have any interest in the throttle, which is another difference. But it was less expensive than the Verve+ and would probably climb some hills more easily, so I can see how some people would prefer it. After riding both, I think I'd go with a mid-drive bike almost every time.

Back