First ebike century with my Allant 9.9s

Kevmk81

I'm thoroughly impressed! I still had to add a bit of my own effort but:

104.1 miles - started with 100% finished with 4% (bike motor shut down right as I was arriving back in town)
5 hours, 1 min and 25 seconds, elapsed time according to strava isn't far behind at 5 hours, 1 min and 40 seconds due to a single stop light i got stuck at briefly.

2,584 ft of elevation/climb. Out and back ride with 12 mph headwind on the way out. Absolute blast on the way back!!! Never used more than level 1 pedal assist. At times no pedal assist to reserve battery.

I've averaged faster on an analog bike when I've been fitter than I am right now - but I have to say - I'm extremely satisfied with this bike. 1,143-ish miles since I've bought it since earlier this year.

What are the single charge mileages other folks are getting? I think my next test for this bike would be a slower pace but see if I can really max out the mileage.

That's pretty fast and if you could do that faster on a regular bike when you were fitter you are a strong rider. Very few people on this forum would be able to ride that far and fast on the Allant.

Was that with 1 battery or two?

Wait you are telling me that you averaged 20mph for 5 hours straight, 2500 feet climb with 12mph headwind for at least half the way and you spent only 625wh with a "bit" of your effort? It is not the bike it is you. What was your average power output during that ride?

You are probably a fit rider who doesn't need an ebike and can average similar speeds on a good roadbike.

Single charge miles doesn't mean much especially if you are regularly turning the assist off, my best was 70+ on a 400wh battery but most of it was low or unpowered.

Last edited:
That's pretty fast and if you could do that faster on a regular bike when you were fitter you are a strong rider. Very few people on this forum would be able to ride that far and fast on the Allant.

Was that with 1 battery or two?

just a single battery charged at 100%. It’s been a couple years since I’ve ridden a ride like that at a faster pace. I’ve always felt miserable after those rides. What’s really nice about this bike is that I can have that same adventure/experience and still have enough energy to mow the yard when I get home!!

Wait you are telling me that you averaged 20mph for 5 hours straight, 2500 feet climb with 12mph headwind for at least half the way and you spent only 625wh with a "bit" of your effort? It is not the bike it is you. What was your average power output during that ride?

You are probably a fit rider who doesn't need an ebike and can average similar speeds on a good roadbike.

Single charge miles doesn't mean much especially if you are regularly turning the assist off, my best was 70+ on a 400wh battery but most of it was low or unpowered.

ha - I guess so. A bit over a year ago I was running 20 minute ftp tests on zwift a hair above 300 watts. I’m 151 lbs currently but race shape I was 140s. I’m kind of done w racing :-(. Lots of hip and lower back issues in the last year. A lot of that was from bike commuting with a messenger bag so I decided to buy the Allant to use as my dedicated commuting bike since we’re a single car family. But either way - it really is a testimony that not everyone is having major issues with their Allants!! A little bit of positivity and hope has never hurt anyone.

ha - I guess so. A bit over a year ago I was running 20 minute ftp tests on zwift a hair above 300 watts. I’m 151 lbs currently but race shape I was 140s. I’m kind of done w racing :-(. Lots of hip and lower back issues in the last year. A lot of that was from bike commuting with a messenger bag so I decided to buy the Allant to use as my dedicated commuting bike since we’re a single car family. But either way - it really is a testimony that not everyone is having major issues with their Allants!! A little bit of positivity and hope has never hurt anyone.

I am very impressed with your fitness and I thought this would be the case. We are close in age but I am nowhere close to your fitness level. I am certain you can do the same rides on any decent ebike.

What matters is you enjoying life and these things put a smile on your face.

Ride on and keep on sharing.

just a single battery charged at 100%. It’s been a couple years since I’ve ridden a ride like that at a faster pace. I’ve always felt miserable after those rides. What’s really nice about this bike is that I can have that same adventure/experience and still have enough energy to mow the yard when I get home!!

Same here Kevmk81!
That’s the great thing about ebikes, there’s still leftover energy to do other “responsible” tasks.

Sorry forgot to reply about the power output. I don’t use a power meter on this ride. I turn on wahoo fitness on my iPhone put it in my jersey pocket and just use the basic smartphone hub on the handlebar. I just go by feel on this bike. But I’m guessing maybe 190s output from myself on this specific ride.

I completed this 50 mile ride on two 500wh batteries with a 20 mph avg. using mostly sport and turbo!

Very nice - more climbing than I can get in a 50 mile ride around here. What panniers or bags or trunks or whatever do you use to store your 2nd battery? I don't believe one would fit in the panniers I bought when I bought the bike.

Here's mine from earlier this morning:

This is my current setup - 43 lbs with battery in the frame and without my panniers on. With those it gets probably up a bit more for my work things - probably 48-49 lbs. But this has been my weekend setup lately. Took the front fender off and decided to leave it off - not much rain the forecast so might as well. I've made a few other changes as well to the bike.

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

Also - forgot to mention... I had the local Trek shop turn on the ability for me to turn off the lights. Those actually sap quite a bit of power believe it or not. Test it out sometime - turn the lights on with the bike just sitting - you'll see how much charge it uses just from the lights alone. In my years of riding I've never had someone tell me they couldn't see me in broad daylight. I definitely use them when the sun is lower on the horizon though and beyond - don't get me wrong. :)

Sorry forgot to reply about the power output. I don’t use a power meter on this ride. I turn on wahoo fitness on my iPhone put it in my jersey pocket and just use the basic smartphone hub on the handlebar. I just go by feel on this bike. But I’m guessing maybe 190s output from myself on this specific ride.

I would also say, given your weight around 200w average. Keeping that for 5 hours is very impressive.

These motors can be used as power meters too thanks to the torque sensor they have. Nyon can output your pedaling power and I believe Cobi has that functionality too (although the precision with my gen 2 is not very good, it has some lag but gen 4 has higher sampling rate so I bet it is better). Check it out you may enjoy it.

I would also say, given your weight around 200w average. Keeping that for 5 hours is very impressive.

These motors can be used as power meters too thanks to the torque sensor they have. Nyon can output your pedaling power and I believe Cobi has that functionality too (although the precision with my gen 2 is not very good, it has some lag but gen 4 has higher sampling rate so I bet it is better). Check it out you may enjoy it.
When Fabian Cancellara won Tour of Flanders in 2010 he average 285 watts for 6 hours and 22 minutes. So I'd agree for an amateur cyclist to average 200 watts for 5 hours, that's damn fast. So fast, that I'm guessing the OP was a Cat 1/2 racer when he raced. He says he was around 140 lbs. So estimate a watt/kg of say 3.1

According to this chart if you can do that for 1 hour then you're in between a Cat 3 and Cat 1/2 racer, so to do it for 5 hours I'll say it's Cat 1/2. Plus he says he was doing 300 watts for 20 minutes, so that's about 4.7 watts/kg which according to a chart I looked up puts him at about 80 to 90th percentile, which is really high.

Thanks Johnny. It's a lot of years - lot of miles - I think maybe 50-60,000 lifetime miles since 2007/2008 or so. Now I have a family (3 kiddos), a career I want to focus on as well. The way I approach training takes too much of my time anymore. Maybe when the kids get older I guess I might get back into masters races. But at this point - my insurance isn't all that great. It wouldn't financially ruin us but it'd hurt if something serious were to happen. I've been in pretty bad bike crashes in races before :(

I am watching that new head unit that Bosch is coming out with soon I believe (that has power readings right)? I'd like to use Cobi but I want to remove the risk of my iphone falling on the pavement at speed - so it always goes in my jersey pocket :) It would definitely be awesome though to be able to see my numbers again like I can on my road bike. I have a power2max on that but since buying my Trek that bike has been my zwift trainer bike. It hasn't seen pavement since January.

When Fabian Cancellara won Tour of Flanders in 2010 he average 285 watts for 6 hours and 22 minutes. So I'd agree for an amateur cyclist to average 200 watts for 5 hours, that's damn fast. So fast, that I'm guessing the OP was a Cat 1/2 racer when he raced. He says he was around 140 lbs. So estimate a watt/kg of say 3.1

According to this chart if you can do that for 1 hour then you're in between a Cat 3 and Cat 1/2 racer, so to do it for 5 hours I'll say it's Cat 1/2. Plus he says he was doing 300 watts for 20 minutes, so that's about 4.7 watts/kg which according to a chart I looked up puts him at about 80 to 90th percentile, which is really high.

Ha - I am absolutely nowhere near Fabian's level. Those guys are monsters. I never made it past cat 4. Mainly 2 reasons - bad racing tactics (constantly in the front - I've always been afraid of the surliness of the middle of the pack), and I simply never raced enough to learn how to race well. I think I may have 15-20 crits and road races combined or so. Just not much compared to people that have been racing longer than I have.

Here is a ride I did from Sep 2018. 205 weight avg power, 191 avg power. a tad over 20 mph. 123 miles. Large group at first but starting around mile 90 was only 3 of us.

But you're spot on, 3.0-3.2 has typically been my 4-5 hour steady effort. 4-5 hour is a little less now - I'd say it's probably 2.6-2.8. My 3.0-3.2 is probably more 3-3 1/2 hours now. Yup, 4.55 w/kg or so - I was so stoked that year. That test was August 2018.

I started racing tri in 2007/2008. 2011 was my best year. Best overall I've ever had, 3rd out of 371. Otherwise - a slew of age group podiums. I quit tri because I got tired of constant running injuries. I'd like to get back into that though. I'm all about getting in an efficient workout. Running is just too boring for me. Ha. I never matured in my crit and road racing. I lost I think because I "wanted a workout" - so I'd put my nose out in front way too much (plus like I said - I just didn't trust a lot of the other racers pack riding abilities).

I do miss all of that racing. But being a dad and spending time with my family is something I started missing in 2018 early 2019 when I finally decided I wouldn't be doing it again - at least for a while. This is why I love this bike so much. I can ride routes that I really enjoy. I can come home with enough energy to spend with the family and take care of things around the house. I truly hope that ebikes are more commonplace. IMO they don't get the credit they deserve. I can haul the kids around in the burley. Go to the hardware store with it, go pick up an ingredient at our local grocery store. Just really happy with it. I don't want people to think every allant is hosed. I'm sure that there are some that have issues - and who knows, mine might start having issues. But at this point, I honestly don't know if it will. In my experience, it would have shown by now with almost 1,200 miles on the bike (and hub of course now). But I'm the kind of person that will just replace it myself. When life gives you lemons and all that jazz. The one thing that I did fear from other threads on this site was hearing that the motors may have bad batches. I'm not worried about it now. I think Bosch is a great company, as well as Trek. They have too much on the line to start getting a bad rep.

ETA - our local cat 1's can drop me and have always been able to - even at my fittest. Did a strava ride where we TTT'd. The route was around 5 miles. Around mile 4 1/2 theres a "hill" (in midwest terms). I hammered up the hill in the front. They came around me and dropped me. We averaged over 30mph. lol good times. I haven't ridden with anyone since Covid and buying this bike. I'm sure they will razz me about doing most of my rides lately on my ebike when I ride with them - even if it's with my road bike (which it will be).

Last edited:
I'm thoroughly impressed! I still had to add a bit of my own effort but:

104.1 miles - started with 100% finished with 4% (bike motor shut down right as I was arriving back in town)
5 hours, 1 min and 25 seconds, elapsed time according to strava isn't far behind at 5 hours, 1 min and 40 seconds due to a single stop light i got stuck at briefly.

2,584 ft of elevation/climb. Out and back ride with 12 mph headwind on the way out. Absolute blast on the way back!!! Never used more than level 1 pedal assist. At times no pedal assist to reserve battery.

I've averaged faster on an analog bike when I've been fitter than I am right now - but I have to say - I'm extremely satisfied with this bike. 1,143-ish miles since I've bought it since earlier this year.

What are the single charge mileages other folks are getting? I think my next test for this bike would be a slower pace but see if I can really max out the mileage.
Congratulations! You must be extremely fit to complete the ride on a single battery?
P.S. I've read other posts. It is you. Doesn't the Allant have the power meter on the display? My Vado has it.

Very nice - more climbing than I can get in a 50 mile ride around here. What panniers or bags or trunks or whatever do you use to store your 2nd battery? I don't believe one would fit in the panniers I bought when I bought the bike.

Here's mine from earlier this morning:

I use this Topeak bag that will carry two batteries and I have a seatpost clamp that allows me to attach a rack.
Hidden Valley (3 of 3).jpg

Back