First e-bike choosing

Markxc40

Hy all.
I'm a retired 76 year old male who wants to help improve his fitness. I weigh 14.1/4 stone [1 stone - 14Lbs] and am reasonably fit but not doing much more than gardening these days so I thought I try cycling. Trouble is I've not cycled regularly for some 25 years hence going down the e-bike route for some assistance while I build my fitness back up.
I will be using the bike infrequently on roads but mainly on grass tracks and paths with no intention of mountain trekking.

Trying to work out which bike is the best value is quite difficult but I do have a major shop near by who sells Conway, Cube, Diamant, Focus, Halbike, Kalkoff, Orbea, Ortler, Tern, Winora, Gazelle, Moustache, Raleigh. So far using some of my work experience to select a country to take a build from I've gone for Germany.
Then looking at the build quality, price and finally their design I came to CUBE.
I've got 2 choices in mind both in stock :>
1/ CUBE Acid Hybrid one 500 allroad 2020 29 at GBP £1999.
2/ CUBE Touring Hybrid Pro 500 2020 at GBP £2199.
My leaning is towards the CUBE Acid mainly because its cheaper, both seem to have the 2020 65Nm Bosch Gen 3 motor which I think will be enough umph for me. If I go Gen 4 it kicks the price up considerably. I can't see what it is I am getting for the extra GBP £200?

Any thoughts please.

Best

Mark

Hi Mark, e-biking is great for getting exercise. Agree with your preference for the Cube Acid, looks quite capable of tackling any hill and riding on bridleways or canal paths.

1/ CUBE Acid Hybrid one 500 allroad 2020 29 at GBP £1999.
2/ CUBE Touring Hybrid Pro 500 2020 at GBP £2199.
My leaning is towards the CUBE Acid mainly because its cheaper, both seem to have the 2020 65Nm Bosch Gen 3 motor which I think will be enough umph for me. If I go Gen 4 it kicks the price up considerably. I can't see what it is I am getting for the extra GBP £200?
Bosch motors except possibly gen 4 drag like a boat anchor power off. I'm age 69, have been riding power off 90% except when wind is >12 mph in my face. Went electric after a 6 hour 5 mph 144 bpm ordeal by headwind in september 2018. Now I control my exercise, not the weather. BTW the cardiologist, after wasting $5000 of medicare money in tests, reports my heart has nothing wrong with it. (raced because I was mad about heart tests for shoulder surgery). Excess lung capacity is fashionable with a lung disease around that fills half your lung with fluid & dead cells. bbcnews reports the surrey bike club of 70-80 year olds have the same # of T (repair) cells as average 29 year olds.
Geared hub drives don't drag unpowered. If you must have a mid drive, shimano yamaha and brose don't drag unpowered. All mid drives eat up chains 2 to 10 times faster than pedal bikes. Your shop is seriously pushing bosch, gazelle, moustache, are all bosch bikes.
Don't overdo the exercise, of course. Read Dr Ken Cooper books, you don't want pulse even up to 80% of 200 minus age until you've been exercising a couple of years. Start out at 75 bpm, work up gradually to his target, over a year or two. Every other day, day off in between to heal up. Be sure to stretch quads & glutes. Nothing wrong with motoring home after wearing yourself out. I use the motor after 60 hills and over 27 miles. But I've been riding exclusively (no car) since 2008.

Last edited:
Hello both.
Dewey, yes that was my thinking too.

Indianajo, wow that some CV you have there my friend. I'll analyse you bpm figures and compare my self to them now and your comments about T cells is very interesting.

Regards

Markxc 40 .... my wife and I recently bought two Cube Touring Hybrid Pro's 500's in green. VERY NICE bikes but I had to get a different seat for my fat ass .... lol.

They ride like butter and the low step though is great. I did a lot of research, tried a lot of eBikes and these ones were our ticket. Expensive, but no regrets.

Last edited:
Back