Bosch Active Line Plus vs Performance Line

tympos

Region
Europe
Hi to all, wish you a happy new year!!! This is my first post.
I recently ordered an electric bike, specifically the cube nature hybrid one 500 allroad. The thing is that currently in Greece, where I live, there is a shortage of bikes because of the goverment giving 40% of the price back i.e. almost everyone wants to buy an electric bike. That means you can't go and choose whatever you like. Also, where I live, which is a quite remote area, there are a few electric bikes to test drive, more on that later. Also due to the coronavirus I can not travel to other areas for tests.
It seems this cube bike was the only available bike, and it will be delivered in a period of 2 to 3 months. I have no problem with that, also, the bike is what I was looking for, I like everything about it.
Now, at the specifications it says it has the bosch active line (ALP) plus with 50Nm of torque. However at the 360 degrees it seems it has the Performance line (PL), which I think has 65Nm of torque. I already email the company for clarification. For the time being I don't know which powerunit the bike comes with. The 2020 model came with ALP and this can be seen from photos, I hope it is a copy-paste mistake at the specifications and the 2021 bike comes with the PL!!!
The place I live is very flat with few slopes, I am 42 relatively healthy but not very fit, 1.71m in height, 73 kgs, with a tear at my right meniscus. I want to use the bike to strengthen leg muscles and work with my fitness.
So, as you understand, I came to the point wondering if the ALP is enough for me, let alone dangerous for my knee (pedaling at the gym at the bikes where the pedals are in front of me, and not like a bike, works just fine for me with no issues at all at approximately 40-50 watts input power).
I have tried 2 electric bikes:
1. An electric lombardo valderice with a motor hub of 30Nm and
2. A cube acid with midgear motor with 65Nm.
To be honest I was satisfied by both, in terms of boost, of course there was a noticeable difference with the cube.
Questions: Is there so much difference between these 2 motors (ALP and PL)? I can not understand why the difference in torque isn't analogous to the % assistance.
For example at turbo mode, the ALP gives 270% assistance, wheres the PL gives 300%. The difference is 10%, whereas the torque difference is 23%. How noticeable the difference would be? 10% or 25%? Is the difference of the torque apparent after 105rpm cadence?
Should I wait for my order happily or should I try to change it with a bike with a different motor (if I find one...)?
Thank you

Welcome to EBR tympos! I am sure you will find much helpful advice here. Use the search function to find more information on the Bosch drive units.
I have the Active Line Plus on my Trek Verve + 3. It is quieter than the Performance Line motor and works well for me in my fairly flat conditions with an occasional, not long hill climb. From discussions here, it appears many owners, particularly those in hilly country, find the Active Line Plus to be underpowered. They prefer the Performance Line, which is newer and smaller physically, while also noisier.

Last edited:
Thank you Latitude, I will certainly search for more information.
I had a reply from cube dealer that the bike comes with ALP. I was hoping the opposite but it seems ALP will do the job, since the Bafang rear hub 30Nm Lombardo felt just fine.
Except if the position of the motor alters the "feeling" of the torque and sort of "relates" to a different midgear torque. If someone knows something on this matter please comment, although disicion already made to keep the bike either way. I still hope the dealer copy pasted the specifications and the bike will come with PL as seen on the photo at the site!!!

Attachments

• Cube Nature Hybrid One 500.png
    Cube Nature Hybrid One 500.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 588
Last edited:
Hi Tympos , I think you will be very satisfied with the ALP as it will climb any hill you need it to , only it will climb slightly slower than the Performance line. Welcome and enjoy your new Ebike! The ALP is rated at 50 vs the Performance at 65. If you do end up with the ALP the upside is that you will get substantially better range.

You will be more than fine with both the ALP or the Gen3 Performance Line. I have extensively tested the first and ride the latter since mid October.
I live in a mountainous/hilly area and I was OK with both. The less torque of the ALP will make you choose you gear with more precision, and that's it.
And you will find yourself going from eg ECO to the next level Tour for some really really steep ascents.
I can do anything on ECO mode, but after October I become better than average on fitness level. My average speed has risen from 20km/h to more than 24km/h over 2-3hour rides in my area.

You will enjoy the bike, I'm sure about that!

The Nature One model comes with the ALP. The photo is wrong as they used one of the higher spec Nature models.
The frame is exactly the same on all.

Always trust the written specs, not the photos :)

The cost difference between the One 500 and the EXC 500 is minimal (~200 euro) and you get an Air fork and 10speed gears. If delivery time is the same I would jump to the EXC model :)

Having the cube compact hybrid sport about 5 months now I notice that at about 95% of the time I use the "tour" mode. When in a hurry or if i have forgotten the wrong gear at a traffic light I may use sport or turbo but only for a little while (less than a minute). I might also use the sport if I have enough battery charge and have to go fast uphill. I believe that you should be fine with the active line, bosch motor are very responsive and feel very natural.

Ok, just got my bike 2 days ago. First impressions? Super cool. I really like it. I did some 35km and the battery is still showing 3/4.
As far as the motor itself:
1. Its torque is quite acceptable for me, however I woudn't say no to one with a higher torque. However I am completely ok with the ALP
2. I easily get to 25km/h which is the limit at my country and I really miss some assistance over that speed
3. At around 23-25km/h when I pedal I feel some sort of resistance when pedaling, nothing too much, but it's there. Is this normal? If I reduce speed it's gone.
4. The motor is literally silent

Other than that I started feeling some tension at the back of my neck, due to probably wrong seating position. I suppose the seating position is a whole "chapter" by itself at cycling.

Glad to hear you’ve found a good ebike to start your fitness journey with! That tension in your neck may be helped with a higher riding position. Is there any adjustment upward with your handlebar stem? I added bar ends to my Allant+7 to give me a higher riding position option which I use about 30-40% of my riding time.

Attachments

• 83098902-A2C8-4093-A0B1-4D359F8FA314.jpeg
    83098902-A2C8-4093-A0B1-4D359F8FA314.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 402
Thanks for your reply, there is no adjustment for the stem.
I am thinking of buying an adjustable stem, like the one the cube kathmandu models have and probably your allant +7, which seems to be a wonderful bike.
I think it will solve the problem.
Also, I assume I have to protect my neck from "getting frozen" from the combination of sweat and cold air (how do you tackle this problem?)
Update on battery: After 45kms it now shows 3/5 (it's not in quarters as I assumed earlier), so I predict a range of more than 100kms, which is super cool.

I am thinking of buying an adjustable stem, like the one the cube kathmandu models have and probably your allant +7, which seems to be a wonderful bike.
Also, I assume I have to protect my neck from "getting frozen" from the combination of sweat and cold air (how do you tackle this problem?)
Update on battery: After 45kms it now shows 3/5 (it's not in quarters as I assumed earlier), so I predict a range of more than 100kms, which is super cool.
My Allant does not have an adjustable stem but that’s a great alternative. I was able to get one for my wife’s Lowstep.

I still have the adjustable Satori Up2 Plus stem I removed from my Touring EXC after a few rides. It's in mint, actual new, condition.
It is very robust and sturdy, no flex at all. But as I wanted to lower my front a lot I had to replace it with a straight stem.
I don't see any reason to keep it for any of my bikes as I'm comfortable on much sportier setups.
Send a message if you are interested.

You can see it here:

PS: I also have the suspension seatpost and seat, as they were replaced with much sportier ones.

Back