Canyon and Bosch: Just confusing? .... or actually fradulent?

Asher I think if I were still considering the bike that would be one option but Bosch is a big company so getting someone who is willing to give an answer about whatever happened at Canyon with this bike is potentially difficult. I think the main thing that drew me to consider it was its a really good company (Canyon) and it seemed like an unusually good price until you find out that you're not dealing with a Performance Line Sport Motor. There's also a good Atlanta bike shop that does warranty work on Canyon. But I ended up going in a different direction ANYWAY and bought a Specialized Vado SL. Mainly because it feels like a real bike and the Trek Allant, the Gazelle(s) et al felt really stodgy, heavy and plodding. And the Canyon is just another 55 lb bike. And maybe a little underpowered. So I'll leave it to somebody who is still on the fence about this particular bike to fire off emails to Bosch.

Asher I think if I were still considering the bike that would be one option but Bosch is a big company so getting someone who is willing to give an answer about whatever happened at Canyon with this bike is potentially difficult. I think the main thing that drew me to consider it was its a really good company (Canyon) and it seemed like an unusually good price until you find out that you're not dealing with a Performance Line Sport Motor. There's also a good Atlanta bike shop that does warranty work on Canyon. But I ended up going in a different direction ANYWAY and bought a Specialized Vado SL. Mainly because it feels like a real bike and the Trek Allant, the Gazelle(s) et al felt really stodgy, heavy and plodding. And the Canyon is just another 55 lb bike. And maybe a little underpowered. So I'll leave it to somebody who is still on the fence about this particular bike to fire off emails to Bosch.
Great point, and now that you mention it, I am going to strongly consider the Vado SL too!

Thanks. What’s the torque rating on the motor on this bike?
65nm as per his post. Won't give high level of assist as 85nm Speed which is more suitable for sustained riding in high 20s. Sport is better suited to low 20s with odd burst to 28mph.
I've dongled gen2 CX 75nm and tend to cruise in low 20s with old burst to 30mph to merge with traffic. NB has more power than 65nm and will sustain 30mph with bit of effort as long as its flat and light headwinds.

65nm as per his post. Won't give high level of assist as 85nm Speed which is more suitable for sustained riding in high 20s. Sport is better suited to low 20s with odd burst to 28mph.
I've dongled gen2 CX 75nm and tend to cruise in low 20s with old burst to 30mph to merge with traffic. NB has more power than 65nm and will sustain 30mph with bit of effort as long as its flat and light headwinds.
Canyons last report to me via email was 50 nm. And 50 nm is what’s STILL on Canyons website. That was the whole point of the question. So whatever…as I said due to this ambiguity I struck the bike from my list altogether. If it’s 65 then fine. That’s why I was curious Trevor about getting an answer from BOSCH. Guess Canyon in their email to me AND on their website is wrong. Whatever. But to say that a motor which is spec'd for 50nm of torque has "up to 65 nm of torque" is incorrect. It has up to 50 nm of torque, not up to 65 nm of torque.

Attachments

• IMG_2417.png
    IMG_2417.png
    386.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
If picture is right then it is 28mph 65nm motor. I think someone at Canyon just made a mistake when they said 50nm in brochure. Bosch don't do a 28mph 50nm motor. Order and test ride if doesn't do 28mph then don't buy it.
Why miss out on great bike because of somebody in Canyon marketing department made a mistake. Its not reflection of bike's design and build quality just because market department is incompetent.

Incompetence is clearly at play - I notified Canyon months ago that one of their photos shows a different motor model on the US site, I think as someone else mentioned here. That alone is suspect, and they replied saying it was from the European branch that sells the other model. But they have the proper photo just below separately, so why not use that? Just very sloppy.

The one with BOSCH in red is the proper one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230706_080427_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230706_080427_Brave.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20230706_080513_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230706_080513_Brave.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 98
You see... The only real difference is some red paint in the badging. Nothing to worry about 🙃

Canyon has FINALLY updated their website which now claims the motor DOES provide 65 nm of torque. This is not what their rep told me via phone, and not what they followed up with via email. The rep knew alot about the history of how this bike has been outfitted for both the US and other markets. But truly -- confusion reigns at Canyon if you have detailed questions about the components they've spec'd for this bike. The components DO look pretty good for the money if you can now trust what's on the website. But as I mentioned before I went in a different direction.

Back