First E-Bike! $4k Budget and I am confused with options

ibrahio

Region
USA
I am looking for my first e-bike purchase. I have been doing lots of research and becoming a bit overwhelmed with all the information. Considering these are quite expensive, I want to make sure I am comfortable with my final choice. I would love some feedback from the forum.

Me: I am 5,6, 155lbs, and ride regularly. I have a Cannondale road bike for fitness and I just sold my Surly Steamroller to replace it with an e-bike. My Surly was a single-speed I used for daily commute to work, riding around town to meet people, and picking up take-out/groceries. My problem was that I would always show up places sweaty. Its fine if I ride to work and shower there, but its impossible to meet friends afterwards without being drenched in the summer.

Daily Commute: I cross the Manhattan Bridge daily which is roughly a 7% incline grade. My commute to the office is roughly 5 miles each way. In a typical day, I ride about 15-20 miles all-in. I would like a bike that can handle more than this so I don't have to worry about getting close to zero. While I can cruise fine on an e-bike at 17-18mph, I regularly high 20+mph on my single speed and feel this restriction will get boring quickly.

Must Haves:
- Removable battery. I cannot charge the bike in the building storage room.
- Good looks. I am a traditional biker and still like a sporty feel, not something that looks like a typical e-bike.

Preferences in a bike:
- Low maintenance belt drive preferred, but not a must.

After a long search I eliminated the Ride1Up, Vanmoof, and similar bikes due to no removable battery. I have also ruled out the Cowboy 4 due to wait time and being seemingly underpowered. The narrowed list is below.

Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 - $4,000
- Strongly leaning towards this as its the latest model, seems to be the most well-equipped, and also highly rated.

Bulls Urban Evo 10 Diamond - $4,000
- Great looks and seems very well-equipped.

Gazelle Medeo T10+ - $3,300 (floor model on sale at my local store)
- The discounted price is hard to beat.

Last edited:
I'm all for Specialized if you ask me, especially as it is the latest and highly praised MasterMind system, and a large battery. 2022 Vado has reached the level of a SUV e-bike for comfort and specifications.
(I do not want to talk about the other brands, bikes of which I do not ride).

1649162549306.png

An old model?

Sounds like you need a class 3 for your need. Were you able to test ride the ones you listed?
Maybe you should grab that Gazelle before someone else does.

Sorry i just realized i included the wrong link. The discount on the bike is on the MEDEO, not the ULTIMATE. So $300 off the marketprice. Its a current model, but it's just the floor model. I test rode it yesterday and while it was comfortable, I found it felt like I was being carried somewhere as opposed to riding. I also found the steering to not be very nimble and I did feel like I was maneuvering a bus. Maybe that's because I am more used to smaller / aggressive road bikes and I just need to get used to this.

The Specialized concerns me because I am right in the middle of the Small and Medium sizes. I am technically 5'5 1/2 tall and S goes up to 5'5 while the M starts at 5'6. No dealer in my vicinity has one for me try out for size.

The Bulls I am veering away from as more than one dealer has complained that they are not responsive when servicing is needed and it takes weeks to handle relatively simple problems. For the amount of money someone is putting into this, I think having access to good support is paramount.

The Specialized concerns me because I am right in the middle of the Small and Medium sizes. I am technically 5'5 1/2 tall and S goes up to 5'5 while the M starts at 5'6. No dealer in my vicinity has one for me try out for size.
I would select the size M if the declared Standover Height of 771 mm (30.4") is OK for you. I'm 5'8, all my Spec e-bikes are size M, and I think I would be even happier with size L for more space for my body and longer reach. (Note: The human standover height is measured in shoes, with the feet slightly apart, from the floor to the crotch).

When looking for a new bike I have a similar sizing problem. I'm 5'7", which often puts me right on the border between a small and medium framed, depending on the model, brand, etc.
It really comes down to what is more comfortable for you, but unfortunately you can't ride a small and then a medium to compare fit, reach , etc.
Most shops will recommend going with the smaller size, as it's easier to modify/adjust the bike if you want something a bit bigger, than it is to make it smaller.

You didn't mention what size(s) of the bikes you have owned. If most of the bikes you've owned have been mediums, and you've felt comfortable with that size, then that might be the right size for you.

My Cannondale SuperSix Evo is a size 48, which translates as a small. The Surly Steamroller was 53, which is a medium. That being said, the standover height of the Surly was 780mm, which ran right up to my crotch with little additional room.

I am looking for my first e-bike purchase. I have been doing lots of research and becoming a bit overwhelmed with all the information. Considering these are quite expensive, I want to make sure I am comfortable with my final choice. I would love some feedback from the forum.

Me: I am 5,6, 155lbs, and ride regularly. I have a Cannondale road bike for fitness and I just sold my Surly Steamroller to replace it with an e-bike. My Surly was a single-speed I used for daily commute to work, riding around town to meet people, and picking up take-out/groceries. My problem was that I would always show up places sweaty. Its fine if I ride to work and shower there, but its impossible to meet friends afterwards without being drenched in the summer.

Daily Commute: I cross the Manhattan Bridge daily which is roughly a 7% incline grade. My commute to the office is roughly 5 miles each way. In a typical day, I ride about 15-20 miles all-in. I would like a bike that can handle more than this so I don't have to worry about getting close to zero. While I can cruise fine on an e-bike at 17-18mph, I regularly high 20+mph on my single speed and feel this restriction will get boring quickly.

Must Haves:
- Removable battery. I cannot charge the bike in the building storage room.
- Good looks. I am a traditional biker and still like a sporty feel, not something that looks like a typical e-bike.

Preferences in a bike:
- Low maintenance belt drive preferred, but not a must.

After a long search I eliminated the Ride1Up, Vanmoof, and similar bikes due to no removable battery. I have also ruled out the Cowboy 4 due to wait time and being seemingly underpowered. The narrowed list is below.

Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 - $4,000
- Strongly leaning towards this as its the latest model, seems to be the most well-equipped, and also highly rated.

Bulls Urban Evo 10 Diamond - $4,000
- Great looks and seems very well-equipped.

Gazelle Medeo T10+ - $3,300 (floor model on sale at my local store)
- The discounted price is hard to beat.

I love my Ride 1 UP Gravel. It's light and creates no battery anxiety as it is light. (36lbs) You have the option to add another battery as well. Save yourself 2 grand and take your wife on a vacation...

I too, am frequently right in between in sizes, you name it, bike frames, shoes, helmets, etc and I always size up in such cases. Nothing worse than a tight helmet or shoes or being cramped on a bike.

My husband is 5'6"(though like most men he claims he is two inches taller than he is 😉...) and the medium Vado fits him very nicely. Although I am just an inch taller, his bike seems very short to me. My BH is a medium, but it is a tall medium and I have the seat quite high on it. Long legs I guess. So you are being smart to try out each bike. They're all different.

I am new to the eBike thing, though I rode extensively on road and mountain bikes 30 years ago.

We bought two of the Lectric eBikes just before Christmas, and I was surprised that an inexpensive ($1K!) 20" fat-tire folding eBike coming from China was built with such remarkable quality and performance.

Lectric uses a hub motor, a 7-speed derailleur, and either/or cadence or twist throttle. We zip up the rather significant hills around home with no issues. These ebikes are quite different from the "dutch style" ebikes but very competitive and functional. Lectric comes from Phoenix; a close competitor is Rad, which is based in Seattle. I do know that Lectric has sold many thousands of these ebikes in just three years of existence. They have a ton of happy YouTube reviews.

Thank you all for the input. I picked up my size SMALL Vado today. The size is perfect. I'll keep you all posted as I learn more about the bike but the ride experience is great so far and I am shocked with how smooth and natural the ride is.

Back