First Commute on Turbo X

Logan Gogarty

I enjoyed riding my Turbo X to work today. Attached are my stats. Having the lights always on and built into the bike is a huge plus for me as I ride in tunnels part of the way and get sick of putting batteries in and turning them on/off. The front shock was great to have as well and made the ride smooth. I tightened the battery into position be accessing the hex bolt under the bottom bracket and that got rid of all of the rattles. I have 66% battery life for my ride home which is great because my travel charger has not yet arrived.

My main complaint is the governor. I hate feeling limited and hitting a wall so to say at 26 mph. I wish someone would figure out how to unlock these bikes. I've searched the web and haven't been able to find much. The only other minor complaint is the mild rubbing/grinding I feel in the bottom bracket only when I'm pedaling really hard.

Overall I cut my commute time by 20 minutes and really enjoyed the speed. It felt like just as much of a workout as it does on my single speed but I got to work a lot faster and more enjoyably. I still may consider trading it in for a ProTour as soon as my shop comes in if is is like the dash and can maintain that higher speed.

Attachments

• IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 425
I'm glad you enjoyed your commute Logan. I finally talked to Specialized today about firmware. There is no update for 2016, the marketing on the web site is incorrect, the 200w base model motors cuts out at 26 mph. If you need the additional motor help maybe the Protour will be better for you.
I did track my speed with GPS today because I switched tire size, found I'm going a couple to few mph faster that the bike says, that's how it feels to me.
Best of luck, and enjoy your ride!
I still love my Turbo, the bike just works for me.

@Ron Bez did you put on bigger tires? Do you hit the max speed frequently on your turbo? It almost feels like the brakes come on when I reach that threshold. I love the ride of the turbo I'm going to see if my shop will take it back so I can at least ride a pro tour. I also really like the integrated battery and the way it looks.

I actually put on smaller tires, I currently am running 700 x 35c Schwalbe Energizer Pros, that is why I thought my speedo would be off a bit. I do hit top speed fairly often and the strange thing is I don't always get the "brakes came on feeling". I think maybe it's because it's almost always windy around here, so if I have a tail wind I don't notice it.........I have had that feeling though. The tires I am running are way faster that the stock tire, so all riding conditions are quicker and easier.

@Ron Bez did you put on bigger tires? Do you hit the max speed frequently on your turbo? It almost feels like the brakes come on when I reach that threshold. I love the ride of the turbo I'm going to see if my shop will take it back so I can at least ride a pro tour. I also really like the integrated battery and the way it looks.
Your commute stats are incredible! You might be worrying about something you may never achieve, even with a bike that's spec'd 2 mph faster. I don't think there are too many riders of "speed pedalecs" that could put up better numbers than 16.3 mi., averaging 23.35 mph and 1900 ft. climb. Those are great numbers! You might beat it if you have a 17 mile smooth straight away, with no traffic.

Last edited:
Your commute stats are incredible! You might be worrying about something you may never achieve, even with a bike that's spec'd 2 mph faster. I don't think there are too many riders of "speed pedalecs" that could put up better numbers than 16.3 mi., averaging 23.35 mph and 1900 ft. climb. Those are great numbers! You might beat it if you have a 17 mile smooth straight away, with no traffic.

Damn good numbers considering the climb. You are a hard man to please. :)

Back