Fire safe LiPo charging bag - anyone using one?

rawlus

Region
USA
anyone using a fireproof or fire safe charging bag for LiPo batteries? I know from other use cases, Drones, R/C that these fire safe bags (which sometimes merely appear like a soft sided cooler) are often recommended due the inherent dangers of LiPo batteries ame charging them but i’ve seen very little about using these bags for ebike batteries, even from manufacturer recommendation nobody seems to recommend them (though i did see the thread on ebike battery fires)

Not an affiliate link, just an example of what i’m talking about.

I haven't any experience with them, but apparently they aren't greatfor batteriesas big as ebike use. Military suplus ammo cans seem to be recommended.

even that would heat enough to cause issues unless on something fireproof.
Yep. I think lining it with cement board would be the minimum, but mine just sit on a steel shelf. I should fix that.
An eBike battery is supposed to hold about the same energy as two or three sticks of dynamite. A stamped steel shelf won't even slow it down.

First of all, the Lectric doesn't use LiPo's... they're lithium-ion (different chemistry, different case), and aren't as prone to catching fire as LiPo's. (Not that they can't/won't, but much less concern as opposed to LiPo's which can catch fire if you look at them funny!) I've never used fire-proof containers to charge my XP batteries; indeed, it would be a pain to have to remove the battery each time to do this. And if Lectric had any concerns in this regard their lawyers certainly wouldn't have allowed them to include a charging port to allow charging the battery inside the bike frame!

While I don't use a fireproof container when I charge my RC LiPo's either, I do charge them outdoors on a non-combustible surface. Never had one catch fire while charging, but the ONE time I tried using a big LiPo pack on my Lectric XP (2 - 6s 5ah packs in series strapped to the rear rack) it DID catch fire when I went down a gravel road that was apparently too bumpy for the battery. Never again...!

Thanks rawlus, you just reminded me to get back to my project for creating an adequate outdoor charging and storage solution for my three batteries. 👍 👍👍

I often see old wood stoves cheap on CL and elsewhere. I thought one with a standard single wall steel vent stack would work for charging.

Screenshot_20210706-113206_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210706-112827_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210706-112931_Chrome.jpg

This thread may help
Also this won't work.
20200619_103203.jpg

If you use cheap generic, no name chinese knock-off batteries, for your bike, drone, whatever, by all means build a separate charging hut away from your house with built in fire protection, a fireproof bag big enough to hold the ammo can that holds the battery, the full belt and suspenders.

If, OTOH, you're using a properly certified (UL et al) branded battery, you're wasting your time, money, and risking your battery by interfering with normal cooling during charging.

Came across Bat-Safe. It seems to be a safe way to charge/store batteries.

I came across some youtube videos that shows how effective fire safe bags are (not that great):

and in the follow up they compare an ammo box and the bat-safe:

However, the largest Bat-Safe can only be used with 500Wh and below (500Wh ~ 48V 10.4ah ebike battey)

@retiredNH you mentioned UL batteries:
"If, OTOH, you're using a properly certified (UL et al) branded battery"
Do you know what batteries brands are UL certified? I read that Bosch is, but I myself could not find one that would replace my shanshan hailong battery.

I have no idea about the bags but this is my method for transporting and sometimes charging. Two metal tool boxes with a fireproof fiberglass matting wrap for each. Holds two wrapped batteries each.
6502A8BA-8BA2-4206-9D59-6B71E68A2DB3.jpeg

Attachments

• E604F4FE-2741-48C2-954C-FB28DDED49C6.jpeg
    E604F4FE-2741-48C2-954C-FB28DDED49C6.jpeg
    940.8 KB · Views: 258
I have no idea about the bags but this is my method for transporting and sometimes charging. Two metal tool boxes with a fireproof fiberglass matting wrap for each. Holds two wrapped batteries each.View attachment 95589
Looks great for storage, but I don't think I'd charge in the box b/c of the insulation cutting off air flow that might cause overheating.
Probably doesn't matter but advise from the manufacturer sure would help.

Looks great for storage, but I don't think I'd charge in the box b/c of the insulation cutting off air flow that might cause overheating.
Probably doesn't matter but advise from the manufacturer sure would help.
Yeah, I can only remember using it a couple times to charge and the box was open. Totally agree about manufacturer needing to be involved.
You probably don’t recall I made it my mission to call Bosch about battery fire safety and after talking an hour or so to a couple of their techs, I basically got nothing significant from them about what specifically would make a safe transport/charging methodology for their batts.

Yeah, I can only remember using it a couple times to charge and the box was open. Totally agree about manufacturer needing to be involved.
You probably don’t recall I made it my mission to call Bosch about battery fire safety and after talking an hour or so to a couple of their techs, I basically got nothing significant from them about what specifically would make a safe transport/charging methodology for their batts.
I don't recall that, but I am not surprised.
The company has nothing to gain from telling us how to charge and store the battery, and leave themselves open to a lawsuit if we follow the instructions and still get a fire. Sigh.

anyone using a fireproof or fire safe charging bag for LiPo batteries?
Not a charging bag but I have a large marble pedestal that was part of a 19th Century hearth and mantel my mother-in-law collected and shipped from Italy in the 60s. Everything except iPhones gets charged on top including my tool batteries. We have metal trays on our nightstands for iPhones. The bike is charged in our building’s common garage that has halon fire suppression. I’ve already seen a Lithium battery fire at work. Every room at home has a Nest smoke & fire detector.

I have no idea about the bags but this is my method for transporting and sometimes charging. Two metal tool boxes with a fireproof fiberglass matting wrap for each. Holds two wrapped batteries each.View attachment 95589
Needs vent holes to allow pressure to escape from an explosion otherwise you have created a pipe bomb. I am working on the same design now using that toolbox and a welders blanket with vent holes.

If, OTOH, you're using a properly certified (UL et al) branded battery, you're wasting your time, money, and risking your battery by interfering with normal cooling during charging.
So we think those $1500 OEM eBikes direct to customer ebike batteries have adequate protections?

Back