Finally learning about ebikes.. still need some help choosing one

Whitieiii

I've finally know I'd like a bike and been doing some research on them... I'd love to get something right around $1500 usd ($1000 just doesn't get much) and have saved up some money... Ive been considering range and pedal assistance as my biggest factors... More power to help up hills and less power where not needed like flat ground or down hill... I like the looks of the rad power bike rad rover but been hearing some stuff about them... some things I've considered is I'd love to have a level 2 ebike which is legal on the roads here in Washington state and going with higher wattage motors for larger hills... I'm still clueless about what brands are all out there but I think I'm ready to get a bike here in the next few weeks... What do you recommend? I've gotten such good suggestions here but just need to learn more about ebikes and what's out there.. want a nice bike to last and to use while camping or just going to the supermarket and around the block

Have you narrowed down what frame style you are looking for? Step through, cruiser, mtb, etc?

I wouldn't rule out Rad (Rover or Rad Runner if you like one of those) in your price range: they are competitive and at least predictable and local to you, so service is just a ferry ride away.

Otherwise, as far as local options, if you can stretch to $2k then you'll find a bit more. Seattle Electric Bike will have Electra and Raleigh options at that range and maybe a closeout Haibike or even a recent trade-in. I believe they are open by appointment and are doing consultations via Zoom call as well.

In terms of direct to consumer - check out Biktrix, they have some decent options in the 1500-2000 range for hub bikes. Aventon and Ride1up are other typical recommendations for companies that have good reputations. Not sure if they have any stock left.

Off topic: I hope Mossback Cafe comes back when things open up. Great food there, and they seem like good people.

@Ravi Kempaiah suggested this. I think it's a good value for the price.
500W Geared Hub Motor | 30-50 Miles per Charge | Thumb Throttle

The best way is to test-ride.
WA is hilly, 500W Direct Drive hub may or may not be enough. 500W geared hub will climb better. Seattle based RAD is promoting 500W DD as capable in this area - not sure about that. You could rent one for a day.
Another thing to consider is how handy you are, in particular - electrical troubleshooting. Aventon have dealers and can be serviced locally, RAD or Ride1Up can't (but they will send you parts if you know exactly what parts).
Also, cruiser or more aggressive stance.

Have you narrowed down what frame style you are looking for? Step through, cruiser, mtb, etc?

I wouldn't rule out Rad (Rover or Rad Runner if you like one of those) in your price range: they are competitive and at least predictable and local to you, so service is just a ferry ride away.

Otherwise, as far as local options, if you can stretch to $2k then you'll find a bit more. Seattle Electric Bike will have Electra and Raleigh options at that range and maybe a closeout Haibike or even a recent trade-in. I believe they are open by appointment and are doing consultations via Zoom call as well.

In terms of direct to consumer - check out Biktrix, they have some decent options in the 1500-2000 range for hub bikes. Aventon and Ride1up are other typical recommendations for companies that have good reputations. Not sure if they have any stock left.

Off topic: I hope Mossback Cafe comes back when things open up. Great food there, and they seem like good people.

Ive decided I'd like something like the rad rover style but those tire are FAT! I've been looking at Nacto and Ecotric as well but don't know...

Another thing t Aventon have dealers and can be serviced locally, RAD or Ride1Up can't.

Not entirely accurate. The closest Aventon dealer is in Victoria, CA. In normal times, Rad does do some service and support at their Seattle showroom. That's closed right now, but The Radmobile is still out and about
If you live in the greater Seattle area, the Radmobile will come to you. Our mobile team can safely perform no-contact tune-ups, safety inspections, install accessories, and even do repairs -- right in your driveway.

Whitieiiii - I hear you about the tires, I think plus sized 2.5-3" are the most versatile for everyday use

The best way is to test-ride.
WA is hilly, 500W Direct Drive hub may or may not be enough. 500W geared hub will climb better. Seattle based RAD is promoting 500W DD as capable in this area - not sure about that. You could rent one for a day.
Another thing to consider is how handy you are, in particular - electrical troubleshooting. Aventon have dealers and can be serviced locally, RAD or Ride1Up can't (but they will send you parts if you know exactly what parts).
Also, cruiser or more aggressive stance.

I was thinking of something in the 750w range but don't know if they would dramatically reduce range... I'm good at repairs so they won't be hard to do as well.. would like to get at least 30 miles range if absolute possible but don't know....

I was thinking of something in the 750w range but don't know if they would dramatically reduce range... I'm good at repairs so they won't be hard to do as well.. would like to get at least 30 miles range if absolute possible but don't know....
As long as you don't mind a little pedaling, 30 miles range should be achievable on most ebikes.

750W motor in itself won't affect the range, compared to 500W motor. It can output as little as 100W (and probably will, on the lowest PAS level). It's up to you whether to run it at max power.

What does make difference is speed and weight - the faster you go and the heavier the bike is, the more juice you need per mile. 750W models tend to be heavier and/or have 4" tires with higher rolling resistance than 2.3". Speed is particularly important, by going 2 times slower you could triple or quadruple the range.

@Ravi Kempaiah suggested this. I think it's a good value for the price.
500W Geared Hub Motor | 30-50 Miles per Charge | Thumb Throttle
Those look nice!

Back