Fenders on the LMT'D

glenno

Region
USA
Wondering if any riders have installed full front and rear fenders on the LMT'D. I am awaiting a set of full fenders which are wide enough for 2.40 tired (up to 65mm). The rear install will hopefully be straightforward. The front attachment to the RST shock is the question mark. Using some sort of zip ties to fix the fender to the shock cross piece looks possible if there is enough clearance between it and the tire.
Anybody solve this problem? BTW, the support team at Ride1Up was of little help.

Sure glenno.

Rock Bro's Mtb Fenders work like a charm !!! They also accent that edgy, Dak Knight look the Ltd's have.
I broke out my Dremel and made small, square cutouts on the rear fender and sandwiched between the racks lock-blocks, with the arms running underneath. Front fender(s) are two parts. The front most has "T" shaped cutouts about 3" up the slot for the original tab fastening mechanism, and again the racks bars that connect to the fork run through and underneath. Two small holes, about the middle of the rack and a (YES, you nailed it) Zip tie. It's tensioned so the fender presses firmly against the fork. There is no play, are no squeaks, rattles or any hassles -- except the stock expansion mount for inside the fork tube (Second front fender piece) has loosened a bit. That's the attachment you were asking about. I suggest installing that fitting with the front wheel removed. Not an option for me because my rack is attached to the skewers. See the photo.
These things don't break, dent, rust , and clean easy. At $21 I wasn't worried about making the cutouts. Thick plastic. Came in about 2 weeks.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32790795364.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dyDbLJT
Do you have a front rack? You can read my other posts on various racks for our Ltd's.
-
Mounting your rack - to mount the fenders on.
I ended up drilling a hole, dead center in the forks U brace. I 'bunny-hop' curbs. I want sturdy. No other way worth a damn. So, before some 10-speed owner starts with the "Oh my, not the drilling", I suggest they check out the casting itself (Read: if you don't own one, don't start pontificating to those that do) considering a Ducati Motorcycle is riddled with holes, cut outs to lighten the weight.
The danger in this case is the uneven mating surfaces; only a very small portion is making contact and thus, cracking or wearing will result.
I sprayed a little cooking oil on the U brace back side, took a wad of clay and molded it in as a plug (flattened the sides with a little knife, mushed it around until I liked it and left it until the next day.
Removed, I used that to piece to outline the angles on a piece of aluminum block I had laying around, drilled a slightly oversize hole for my bolt, filed the back-facing face relatively flat on a plane that evenly distributes the weight of the washer and nut.
I also ground a bolt for the racks attachment point to an angle where it abuts the fork's U brace, so it too fits even and snug.
It was actually simple. I have a little vice; a drill; a dremel and some nice small files, but a pair of vice grips (to hold while you drill) and a file works fine.
I plan to take it all apart soon and check if how much contact that plug is making with some dye. I'd bet it's like 90%.
You cannot attach a this systems front most fender or a single piece front fender via a tube compression insert. It would be crushed when the fixed point conflicted with the fork travel. You could risk attaching under the U brace (where the fender would travel with the fork), but you would have more than "2.0 of travel possible with the fork and less than "1.0 before it crushes.
Probably work - but also consider the aesthetics of the completely round fender (required), plus the arms required.
IMHO You loose that transition from the edgy frame's angles, directly to an organic shape (the wheel).
I tried a round fender and best I can put it, the look "feminized" the bike. It eliminated the the almost brutal - minimalist - transition that these Enduro style fenders accent - and the bike already has. The very large round wheels (white-walls don't help) took over and it just didn't fit the bikes personality or my taste. The look would be complete only with a handlebar mounted wicker basket full of posies and a loaf of French bread sticking out.

Hope this helps,

Fast n' Furious

Attachments

• 20210226_142429.jpg
    20210226_142429.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 670
  • 20210217_180956.jpg
    20210217_180956.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 617
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 662
F n' F,
Thanks for the detailed solution to the fender issue and for the problem-solving that went into it. You make a lot of good points and I agree that your choice of the MtB fenders contribute to the overall "look" that you want in your LMT'D.
I am still looking to install full fenders. I first tried a set of SKS Bluemels 75 U fenders which looked OK up front but were too wide to fit in the rear wheel frame "V" locations. I am awaiting a FMFXTR 27.5" full fender pair. These are narrower but should provide the coverage for the tire width. If I encounter the same width issue and front clearance issue, then I am going to go along with your recommended solution. I have thought all along that drilling a mounting hole thru the front shock U support would be the way to go to simply the install and as an alternative to the column tube expansion insert. You can't beat the price of the Rock Bro's MtB fender set. I see a set by Noheiwur on Amazon which seem equivalent to yours and which ship free from the US for a little more $$.
Thanks again

F n' F,
Thanks for the detailed solution to the fender issue and for the problem-solving that went into it. You make a lot of good points and I agree that your choice of the MtB fenders contribute to the overall "look" that you want in your LMT'D.
I am still looking to install full fenders. I first tried a set of SKS Bluemels 75 U fenders which looked OK up front but were too wide to fit in the rear wheel frame "V" locations. I am awaiting a FMFXTR 27.5" full fender pair. These are narrower but should provide the coverage for the tire width. If I encounter the same width issue and front clearance issue, then I am going to go along with your recommended solution. I have thought all along that drilling a mounting hole thru the front shock U support would be the way to go to simply the install and as an alternative to the column tube expansion insert. You can't beat the price of the Rock Bro's MtB fender set. I see a set by Noheiwur on Amazon which seem equivalent to yours and which ship free from the US for a little more $$.
Thanks again
Glad to help glenno.
I'll take a gander at those fenders you list. The hole in the U is common on other forks. that was the 'thing that made me say hmmm?'. Look behind there and you see the casting plug bracing. Pretty nice, plenty robust.
I forgot to mention two other factors; how much coverage I needed and I really like the thick, twistable ABS plastic.
Where's the water flying that effects me? Can mangle and no paint, no fuss cleaning?
I visualized the geometry/ direction the wheel's shedding while factoring in I'm moving forward, so not going to be in the same spot.
In front I'm running into the water shed (pun unintended) coming up from the pavement, in my face if there's insufficient fender coverage.
I tested in the rain and after the rain - thank you Columbia for my watertight rain suit - and found 'wide is good' and in the Rear, not so much coverage required (except rack and panniers get a bit of crud).
Like in the old Gumball rally movie (the helicopter chase scene) where the Italian driver in the Ferrari says "If it's'a behind'a me, she's a no matter" ...
But I get it and I still have that nice fat rear fender just in case.
Let me know what you go with.

Happy trails,

Fn'F

Glad to help glenno.
I'll take a gander at those fenders you list. The hole in the U is common on other forks. that was the 'thing that made me say hmmm?'. Look behind there and you see the casting plug bracing. Pretty nice, plenty robust.
I forgot to mention two other factors; how much coverage I needed and I really like the thick, twistable ABS plastic.
Where's the water flying that effects me? Can mangle and no paint, no fuss cleaning?
I visualized the geometry/ direction the wheel's shedding while factoring in I'm moving forward, so not going to be in the same spot.
In front I'm running into the water shed (pun unintended) coming up from the pavement, in my face if there's insufficient fender coverage.
I tested in the rain and after the rain - thank you Columbia for my watertight rain suit - and found 'wide is good' and in the Rear, not so much coverage required (except rack and panniers get a bit of crud).
Like in the old Gumball rally movie (the helicopter chase scene) where the Italian driver in the Ferrari says "If it's'a behind'a me, she's a no matter" ...
But I get it and I still have that nice fat rear fender just in case.
Let me know what you go with.

Happy trails,

Fn'F
Fn'F,
Took your advice and installed the MtB style fenders. The rear install was simple when using the correct sized sleeve on the seat post. The front fender was trickier, as you pointed out. I wound up installing the fender on the underside of the shock crown, using the insert which expands when inserted into the column tube. A little bit of improvisation was required to get a more solid mount. The force of the cables on the fender do cause it to go out of alignment (with the tire) once underway but I can live with that. I have ridden it a number of times and so far the front fender hasn't shook loose. I'm pretty pleased with the look as well.
I've attached a photo which shows the fender install as well as the bontrager rear rack and a few other gadgets.

Attachments

• LMT'D Photo.jpg
    LMT'D Photo.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 852
Looks great !!!

Attachments

• 20210206_163109.jpg
    20210206_163109.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 363
  • 20210226_121128.jpg
    20210226_121128.jpg
    782 KB · Views: 473
  • 20210325_165459.jpg
    20210325_165459.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 368
Replace those stock washers. Look at that thing (top) ?
Don't spin your hub, like I did.

Looks great !!!
Awesome. Like your rack better than mine. I know it looks even better in person.
Note: A shame, not a rack I could find would fit R1U's great panniers 'side clips'.
Your rack's extenders appear to be reversed from the common curvature 'over the wheel' form.
I'll have some upgrades to post soon.
Post some of your other upgrades?

Fn'F,
Took your advice and installed the MtB style fenders. The rear install was simple when using the correct sized sleeve on the seat post. The front fender was trickier, as you pointed out. I wound up installing the fender on the underside of the shock crown, using the insert which expands when inserted into the column tube. A little bit of improvisation was required to get a more solid mount. The force of the cables on the fender do cause it to go out of alignment (with the tire) once underway but I can live with that. I have ridden it a number of times and so far the front fender hasn't shook loose. I'm pretty pleased with the look as well.
I've attached a photo which shows the fender install as well as the bontrager rear rack and a few other gadgets.
Tired of removing front wheel to get to that tube fitting (who's bolts hex hole promptly stripped out) that keeps slipping making the front (rear part) fender move out of place. Two carefully placed zip ties around fork U. Fun while they lasted for this light winter, for the long run I'm getting a pair of these:
https://sim.works/collections/fenders-simworks-by-honjo/products/flat-65?variant=5250514812957
I'm still well under my goal 'to produce a '$10k+ bike for less than $5k', but the Fox fork I'm planning should push me up to $4000.00.
Unfortunate those Honjo's don't come in Black anymore. No worries, I prefer a matching charcoal color, like my machine.
The front is the concern. Mounting to the U, there appears to be enough clearance to avoid crashing into the top of the fork.
Prices are going nowhere but up.

Fn'F

Back