Fender and Rack kit for Turbo

I got the Brooks fender flap installed. I used two 3mm allen bolts with lock nuts. It installed nicely and no tire interference. By the way, in hanging the bike upside down and looking closely at the fender, I realized the entire distance of the rear fender from the license plate bracket to forward of the seat stay brace is reinforced by an extruded aluminum pice attached to the fender and the rack in several locations. This extruded aluminum part provides the actual fore/aft bracing of the rack, not the thin aluminum fender.

I agree, the rear fender/rack is pretty well done. I switched to the Schwalbe tires and needed more clearance. There is a rubber piece between the seat stay bridge and the fender that can be removed. I used a thinner piece of material and have a good clearance.

The front fender not so much. It really needs to be a little longer to keep the spray off your feet. The stays are too short to provide adjustment for tire clearance. You can always trim excess fender stays but you can't make them longer. I may go back to a SKS front fender. I live a rainy climate so fenders are not optional. I'm surprised the European buyers who also need fenders don't complain more or they use something else.

I agree, the rear fender/rack is pretty well done. I switched to the Schwalbe tires and needed more clearance. There is a rubber piece between the seat stay bridge and the fender that can be removed. I used a thinner piece of material and have a good clearance.

The front fender not so much. It really needs to be a little longer to keep the spray off your feet. The stays are too short to provide adjustment for tire clearance. You can always trim excess fender stays but you can't make them longer. I may go back to a SKS front fender. I live a rainy climate so fenders are not optional. I'm surprised the European buyers who also need fenders don't complain more or they use something else.

speaking of buyers (european ... or not) --- what are the Turbo sales numbers? I am really intrigued to find out if anybody knows the actual numbers ... I doubt they are high

More pictures after I installed the Brooks fender flap on the back fender and removed the license plate mount. I think my accessorizing is now done.

20160222_114804.jpg 20160222_114839.jpg 20160222_114854.jpg 20160222_115101.jpg

Hi Douglas - do you have a part number or SKU on the front fender? Specialized has changed their website and its not listed anymore. I've got a 2015 Turbo X sitting at the LBS waiting on the rear rack to come in and get installed (I can do it but they only charged me $10 which sounds like a bargain).

Also...the grey tires...Schwalbe Big Ben's? I was just looking at those and wondering if I could clear the larger black 50c Big Bens. Edit: I see you mentioned Michelins.

Nice setup!!

The listing is: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) The price at $300 is the same as before when it showed front and rear. I believe it includes the front fender. Don't know if that front fender works with the Turbo X anyway, but if you have ordered the kit, it should be included.

The tires are Michelin Energy 700c eBike Tire Black/Reflective - 700c x 35mm. The Michelin reference is: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists). I got mine from BikeTiresDirect, but they were hard to find. Also, I am pretty sure that 700x50C WILL NOT fit with fenders on.

Interesting....we'll see if the kit comes with front (also explains why I couldn't find any mention of it since the pic only shows the rear). The Turbo X has a Rock Shox fork that has bosses for a fender so should not be an issue with fitting. Schwalbes run a bit narrow; 700cx47 measures 45.

Has anyone installed this on the suspension fork on the Turbo X?

I'm trying to perform the installation, but the front fender mounting points on the Turbo X fork are different than the standard Turbo. The included tube clamps won't work as they need to have a 90 degree rotation so the clamps are in the same direction as the tubes that come off the fender.

Something like this might work:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
The problem is mounting this to the fork. Both have a female threaded screw hole. I.e. each were designed to have a threaded screw to be inserted. I wonder if a short threaded rod could be used to screw into both this clamp and the mount point on the fork.

I have a 2016 S and will be attempting to install SKS 50mm wide Chromoplastics. Looks like things will be pretty snug and I will have to take the bolt out of the seat stay brace in order to get clearance (going to drill a hole in the rear fender and use the bolt to stabilize it once I get it into position. I tried to get the 53mm version which has a different name but could not find a US dealer that had them. I am a bit perplexed by the lack of organized dealer networks in the US by companies such as Tubus, Ortleib and SKS, but oh well....

Hi Rick, I picked up SKS Longboards and was a bit puzzled when I tried to fit them on to a Turbo X. After a lot of Googling, I've concluded that the missing piece of the puzzle is an "SKS Suntour angle bracket" which appears to be sold in the UK only. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and import some. The alternative is to find insulated rubber p clamps that fit the 1.5inch forks.

SKS Chromoplastic 50mm wide will NOT fit on the 2016 Turbo S, at least on the rear.

I have tried lots of messing about (a long time ago I was a bike mechanic) but there is just not enough clearance with the oversized 700c x 45 tires. I was confused because the specifications from SKS say that the 50mm fenders can handle up to 700c x 47 tires. So... I took a measurement of the tire with my trusty micrometer. See for your self, the tire is nearly 50 mm wide. For a comparison I measured a fully inflated Michelin 700c x 25 tire and it measured just over 25mm. So these tires are quite a bit over expected dimensions.
IMG_8405.JPG

I just got my Turbo X back w/ the Specialized fender kit. They made the front work on the fork...I can snap a pic of the mounts if its helpful.

SKS Chromoplastic 50mm wide will NOT fit on the 2016 Turbo S, at least on the rear.

I noticed that too when I was eyeballing the tire width with a ruler. I figured it was just how bike dimension tires are listed compared to actual so it's really good that you've confirmed this isn't normal. I'm currently running a pair of Schwable Energizer Plus Tour 700 x 38 as I wanted to fit the fenders plus I realise I mostly ride road and have no idea why I bought a mountain bike.

Yes please do. Show us the whole bike too.

It was pouring rain this morning so pics are a bit dark as I had to do them in the garage. I turned the flash on for a couple of the detail pics so hopefully its obvious how stuff went together.

I just picked it up from the LBS on Thurs and was out of town so haven't ridden since getting the fenders installed. They didn't leave the license plate bracket off as requested but hopefully they tightened up the headset and fork (I rode the bike up to leave w/ them and there was some play).

uJ9leo1l.jpg

8VjSK2Al.jpg

9J4Uz75l.jpg

Lj2H8crl.jpg

I purchased these https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/sks-suntour-angle-bracket/ and ended up doing the below. The eyelet is quite close to the mudguard so I had to bend the arm of the stay twice, once to get it in the right direction and again to bend it back towards the hole to ensure it goes in. I'm no bike expert so it's probably the wrong thing to do. Regardless, it has been raining recently and I'm dryer than without the mudguards so I'm quite pleased with their effectiveness.

IMG_0363.jpg

Can anyone with the Specialized rack kit show me how the wiring runs? My LBS routed it through the cover plate at the BB, used the brake line as 'transport' to where it goes in to the fender. I am worried htat it looks a bit vulnerable but can't easily see how it might be done differently.

Thanks,
Barry
20160725_162132.jpg

Can anyone with the Specialized rack kit show me how the wiring runs? My LBS routed it through the cover plate at the BB, used the brake line as 'transport' to where it goes in to the fender.
View attachment 7860
That is basically the way it is done...I will post a pic of mine when I get back and put my bike on the repair stand and get a good pic.

Back