Fat-Tad indecision

rich c

This summer I started riding my full suspension mtb along the Hennepin Canal. It's like 75 miles of basically a straight line and little elevation change. We also have a crushed rock rail trail that goes about 30 miles in a similar fashion. I'm thinking a Fat-Tad from Electric Trikes on slicks would be the perfect nature cruiser for those rides. Heads up and a relaxed position for the miles. The canal ride is so enjoyable with birds and water views the entire distance, I think the heads-up ride would let me enjoy the view better. Any opinions about the recumbent trike?

I own a Fat Tad. I bought it a couple years ago, planning to convert it to electric, but haven’t gotten around to it. I’ve only put on a few miles but would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

It’s a big heavy trike, but the suspension and fat tires make for a nice, comfortable ride. Ride height isn’t very low, so ground clearance is good and getting in and out of the seat is relatively easy. I wobble when I pedal, but I assume that’ll go away with practice. I haven’t gone very fast on it yet.

It doesn’t roll though standard doorways and is heavy and awkward to carry. Im hoping it’s not too much worse when converted with the battery removed. I wouldn’t want to have to carry it twice every time I rode. I have it I my garage.

Most of the components are acceptable quality. I don’t think I’ll be swapping them out for better ones. I’m not that picky.

Overall, I’d recommend it, but it’s obviously not the right ride for everyone.

Thanks John. I have to decide in a few hours so I get the free shipping. It won't be my main bike by any stretch. I'm looking for some variety to my riding days on my Haibikes. I do a lot of short rides, many times about 5-6 days a week, having about 2700 miles in this year. There is a closed public golf course locally, that has been converted to a park. Lots of varied terrain there and just 1.5 miles away. Then the gravel rail trails that start 7 miles from home, and the canal-way trail is right at a 1 hour drive. So planning to ramp it into my Ford Transit Connect, throw a nice lunch into some panniers, and taking a relaxing ride there a few times a month. I wondered about the wobble, but with the pedal assist I don't plan on really putting the heavy load to the pedals. Thinking some days when my knees are acting up, the assist button will get bumped up higher too! Going to get the 20 amp/hour battery upgrade. I have a walk-out basement, with an oversized door. I'm planning on a storage dolly that will have ramps and a pivot. I back the trike up the ramps, then pull a pin and angle it up. Somewhat like one of those anti gravity rigs for stretching out the spine. Then with casters on it, move it to a storage spot and use up less floor space. Can you tell I'm a retired model maker/engineer?

Back