Experience with bringing range extender batteries in carry-on luggage?

eddief

I know there has been some discussion on this topic already but I am looking for specific experience of those who have taken RE batteries on an airplane. I know they are fine with carrying on multiple 100 watt/hour batteries and the regulations mention they allow 160 watt/hour batteries with permission. Has anyone done this and did you need permission or simply to show security what you are packing? And has anyone take two RE batteries on board at one time?

I know there has been some discussion on this topic already but I am looking for specific experience of those who have taken RE batteries on an airplane. I know they are fine with carrying on multiple 100 watt/hour batteries and the regulations mention they allow 160 watt/hour batteries with permission. Has anyone done this and did you need permission or simply to show security what you are packing? And has anyone take two RE batteries on board at one time?
Might be a great question for the Airline you are going to fly...

The safe bet is to ship by ground. Just plan ahead. They need to each be inside a plastic bag, padded and boxed. With a UN3481 sticker displayed. I use UPS. The FAA regulations are here: https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/ Happy travels. Oh, this is what those stickers I use look like.

Attachments

• DSCF0799[1].JPG
    DSCF0799[1].JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 107
US domestic or US International might be two different answers?
If you go to the TSA website for Lithium batteries greater than 100 watt-hours they have this footnote: The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint. A Specialized Range Extender is probably subject to a little stricter QA than the typical unknown replacement laptop battery or USB power pack.

Back